Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I would not want to be on the Toll bridge during a 130km/h gust.

I imagine it would be closed ? God help truck drivers out in that tomorrow if it is as bad as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

sdanseo wrote: »
    New warning up on Met.ie

Does the government need to step in and shut the country down for safety reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

animals definitely picking up on it. Large flocks of birds drifting and gliding up high in the sky all afternoon - so eeriely quiet and calm all day - not a breath of wind in Drogheda.

You're right there, it is eerie, same in Balbriggan. Traditionally a flat calm like this would be considered a warning sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

John Mason wrote: »
    right, i need to drive across the M50 tomorrow afternoon to get my mother to Chemo.

how bad is it going to be ? i am driving from J5 to Bray south in a very light car that usually gets shaken around at Kilternan on a normal day

Probably pretty bad. Any chance of rescheduling? With a red warning now out for that time in Dublin, rescheduling would be your safest bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

noble00 wrote: »
    I have to go in to work tomorr boss doesn't want to know about it god this is ridiculous

If you feel that travelling to work tomorrow is putting you in danger, then don't go in. That's my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Full Marx wrote: »
    Started to get pissed at some people on here now.

Wake up and realise that a huge amount of people work for arsehole companies on contracts and on low hour ones like that. They are at the mercy of their employers and taking an unauthorised day off can basically mean the sack or reduced hours or other punishments, not having contracts renewed etc. It's not as simple as calling in and taking annual leave or having the balls to make a decision yourself.

I know this first hand as I worked for many years until quite recently for companies like that... And you'd be surprised they were all household name financial institutions at middling positions (I pity the poor souls at entry level positions) , not McDonalds or the like.

Some people can't just take the day and if there boss tells them to come in or says it's business as normal there's not much they can do. /rant over

This applies to me too..and I'm doing an unpaid college internship :/ I won't be going in tomorrow though, I'm in Galway and I simply can't risk driving in and walking home in those conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I imagine it would be closed ? God help truck drivers out in that tomorrow if it is as bad as expected.

Beware high sided lorries & double decker buses!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Met Eireann saying the status red for the country now

• Registered Users Posts: 39,900 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Brought the dog for a walk and there isn't a puff of wind out there. There's this misty rain failing but no wind whatsoever here in cork city.

Doltanian wrote: »
    I saw a massive flock of birds flying earlier and they were flying inland as hard ever as they could. They definitely know what is coming intelligent creatures. Saw two deer retreating up into the woods also and there is an eerie quiete before the impending disaster here in Kerry at the moment.

saw flocks of birds doing the same earlier, flying way higher than normal, a lot of them were just drifting and gliding - they were doing this for over an hour. The weather was eeriely calm all day. Then this evening I saw large flocks of what looked like gulls flying inland. Unusual behaviour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

50mph winds predicted for mid.ulster
    Which isn't too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Does the government need to step in and shut the country down for safety reasons?

It would make things a lot easier for those being threatened by employers (now that everywhere has gone red, any employer doing that should basically be jailed if anything happens their staff as a result).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/919644916267077633
    Every single school is closed tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

To bosses forcing people to come in: I hope you’ve got excellent insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

I have voice my concerns about this , no response, I really need the job , I know that sounds stupid if I'm blown out to the Irish Sea 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

Status Rd for the whole country now.

https://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Now that red alert is nationwide will Dublin Airport close tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

If they called red and it wasn't a real a red, that would diminish a red call in the future.

They have done it before, when the threat was much less serious. Consequently, many people are taking this current warning less seriously than they should.

They've issued red warnings for entire counties when the only areas at real risk were coastal. That's not the case this time. The entire country is at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

mayo.mick wrote: »

As someone who has travelled through the Bay of Biscay on a ship many times, that image would scare the Sh*te of out me if I was passing through and down to the Med.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Living in Cork, 50km comute to work, won't be going in, my work won't replace my car if its totalled trying to get in or home and can't replace me in the worst case scenario!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

sdanseo wrote: »
    It would make things a lot easier for those being threatened by employers (now that everywhere has gone red, any employer doing that should basically be jailed if anything happens their staff as a result).

If it's serious Leo needs to be on the 9 O'Clock news or a special broadcast, at the moment a lot of people still thinking fake news. I've got sunburnt during red snow warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Now that red alert is nationwide will Dublin Airport close tomorrow?

Most likely. Winds are in excess of what the aircraft can safely operate in. This may only occur from afternoon till evening so anything in the morning should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

National Red Warning now on met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭Goose81

flaneur wrote: »
    To bosses forcing people to come in: I hope you’ve got excellent insurance!

Why? If someone crashes their car on the way into work the employer isn't responsible, nor would they be on any regular day

If you don't want to go to work then done, pull a sickie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Mr.S wrote: »
    Equally, if you think getting home will be unsafe, then you can and should leave work early if you made it in safely in the morning.

Absolutely! No job is worth putting your life or well being in danger for. Stay safe everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Whats actually going to do some serious damage is the stacks of bonfire material kids have been gathering, that sh1t is gonna destroy cars and windows near it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

Between HAARP and chem trails, our controllers have really been messing with the weather all over the world this year.
    Yes it's the evil men at haarp that are causing bad weather..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Pull a sickie. Get a cert from doc. Worth the money and you get the whole week off!

Sorry, I will probably be infracted for saying that. But honestly if you value your life and that of your family, and employer is playing hard ball, well you cannot be sacked for being sick.

And by the sounds of it many on here ARE feeling sick at the thought of travelling to work, and I don't blame them for a minute.

If there is no alternative, you have to look after yourself and your family. It is that simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Just announced by the dept of education all schools and colleges closed tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Brought the dog for a walk and there isn't a puff of wind out there. There's this misty rain failing but no wind whatsoever here in cork city.

Same. Deathly calm here with nobody out and about hardly. Supposedly the shops were jammers all day.

Advertisement