Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Sorry but met.ie and rte news not being clear on this...when is it expected to hit Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Weather alert has now been issued for 6am.
    It was 9am before

I just got a text

Cork
    Met Eireann has issued a Level Red Severe Weather Warning (Wind). Valid from 06:01 Mon. 16/10/2017 until 23:59 Mon. 16/10/2017, see www.Met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sheepers

I'll be phoning in tomorrow, but it's a sad state of affairs that a huge part of me will be hoping it does enough damage to justify my absence!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How are people supposed to get to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Elessar wrote: »
    Sorry but met.ie and rte news not being clear on this...when is it expected to hit Dublin?

Early afternoon, I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Brought the dog for a walk and there isn't a puff of wind out there. There's this misty rain failing but no wind whatsoever here in cork city.

Just out in that also. Really really weird.

I guess I know what they mean by the calm before the storm now...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Now this is not the usual warning from Met Eireann,holy sh1t

"Ex-Hurricane Ophelia is forecast to track directly over Ireland during daytime Monday. Violent and destructive gusts are forecast with all areas at risk and in particular the southwest and south in the morning, and eastern counties in the afternoon. Also heavy rain and storm surges along some coasts will result in flooding.
    There is potential risk to lives."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

What time is it now expected to arrive in the Cork area. I was under the impression earlier it was early afternoon, is it likely now to be earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ooompie5

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Fog has appeared here in north cork. Is this a phenomenon before a storm?

High humidity maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

knipex wrote: »

And if for some reason your employer is a moron and does fire you then you can take him to the cleaners..

You keep going on about this, and about courts and how they would hammer these evil companies.

Its incredibly naive on your part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

It's like that here too, Douglas in Cork. Very eerie.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

northgirl wrote: »
    What time is it now expected to arrive in the Cork area. I was under the impression earlier it was early afternoon, is it likely now to be earlier?

Looks like from 6 am, all the way through to 4 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

northgirl wrote: »

Cork is morning time AFAIK. It’s due to hit Dublin early afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I actually don't think a national red alert is helpful. I think Met Eireann are just covering all bases.
    I would prefer a list of the counties that will be hardest it i.e Waterford, Wexford, Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Same. Deathly calm here with nobody out and about hardly. Supposedly the shops were jammers all day.

I was in the local supermarket earlier and haven't seen it so busy on a Sunday evening bar Xmas. Ophelia was the topic of every conversation.
    Regarding work,if the Dept. Of Education seems it too dangerous to get kids to school then does any health and safety law cover employees not being able to attend work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭paul71

VinLieger wrote: »
    Whats actually going to do some serious damage is the stacks of bonfire material kids have been gathering, that sh1t is gonna destroy cars and windows near it

That and the completely oblivious people who right now are rolling out their Wheelie bins for collection in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

The red alert will only taken seriously now, that it involves Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Delivering post will be fun tomorrow:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 robinmgp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

This thread is veering widely off topic.

Back to discussing Weather please - there are more appropriate forums for discussing Employment and Conspiracy Theories

Thanks!

• Advertisement

I'm in rural Cork, by Rathcormac, it's spooky quiet and calm here, with heavy low cloud.
    Feels like stereotypical calm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Gael23 wrote: »
    How are people supposed to get to work?

Drive?

Unless the wind will be strong enough to blow cars off the road which is unlikely. People in the east don't have any excuses tomorrow.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

I'm ringing in sick anyway, couldn't care less! :D

Seems to me that a lot of employers really couldn't give a s**t about their workers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Wouldn't be surprised if its hits at 4am

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Heavy feeling in the air. All so quiet and calm. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Drive?

Unless the wind will be strong enough to blow cars off the road which is unlikely. People in the east don't have any excuses tomorrow.

It's not getting in that'll be the problem by all reports... it's getting home again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

mayo.mick wrote: »

I don't mind admitting I am terrified of what tomorrow will bring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My guess is they can’t guarantee county boundaries. Like if you make Dublin red then you cause a ripple effect out to all the surrounding counties. Replicate that across the country and it causes too many problems trying to predict who will be orange/red. Like is leixlip orange and lucan red? Wouldn’t make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

This is Dublin centric but wondering if Luas and Darts can operate in high winds. I'm worried about getting home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

paul71 wrote: »
    That and the completely oblivious people who right now are rolling out their Wheelie bins for collection in the morning

Everyone here has their bins out and no intention of taking them in by the looks of things.

Advertisement