Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bubble6

Are the bins still going out or have Wiser postponed collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

I'm in rural Cork, by Rathcormac, it's spooky quiet and calm here, with heavy low cloud.
    Feels like stereotypical calm

Still and heavy in Longford too... I'm only visiting here, my place is near Carlingford lough, I'm a bit worried about it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Drive?

Unless the wind will be strong enough to blow cars off the road which is unlikely. People in the east don't have any excuses tomorrow.

A lot of work places don't have car parks. Then getting from a car park to work could be dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Bubble6 wrote: »
    Are the bins still going out or have Wiser postponed collection?

Got a text off them in East Cork to say they would be collected Tuesday instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

What the hell are we going to worry about on Tuesday?? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

A lot of work places don't have car parks. Then getting from a car park to work could be dangerous

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

When does the electricity and water come back, and the trees cleared off roads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Tyson Fury wrote:
    Unless the wind will be strong enough to blow cars off the road which is unlikely. People in the east don't have any excuses tomorrow.

Status red is for the whole of Ireland

I have no excuse in a jeep but the people driving micra s and the likes should stay off the road

I was called at lunch time and told not to go out on site (I'm a forester)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭NASlad

Working tomorrow 8am. This is going to be some craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

No electricity I suppose....

Over 3000 people in here that's got to be a record in itself.

• Advertisement

twirlagig wrote: »
    I don't mind admitting I am terrified of what tomorrow will bring

No!!! Storms feed off fear!

And don't look it in the eye!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

namloc1980 wrote: »
    And with many employers expecting staff to show up as normal tomorrow, the ensuing chaos on the roads and potential risk to people traveling to and from work is completely unnecessary.

But as a train driver if you don’t show up train gets cancelled thus leading to a lot more cars on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Goose81 wrote: »
    Why? If someone crashes their car on the way into work the employer isn't responsible, nor would they be on any regular day

If you don't want to go to work then done, pull a sickie

Because if you instruct someone to come to work, despite a national advisory of extremely dangerous conditions, legally : on your head be it!

They would not have made that decision if you were not compelling them to and Ireland is HIGHLY litigious...

All I’m saying is you’d be a brave business owner to take that kind of legal risk for the sake of what’s likely to be a very unproductive day anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Everyone here has their bins out and no intention of taking them in by the looks of things.

If you're in Dublin and your collection is 7am you'll be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Does anyone have any examples of previous storms that were at the same wind speeds as what's anticipated? I'm trying to get my dad to listen to me that this is serious and I thought if I showed him the pictures of the damage done by a similar storm he might pay attention. At the moment, he's more worried about the repair work he's going to do in the camper tomorrow. And we are living in Cork County on top of a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

NASlad wrote: »
    Working tomorrow 8am. This is going to be some craic.

Me to can hear the tetra tone already :) (only we will understand)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There will surely be a thread for the aftermath, but if there is I hope it is really the aftermath photos posted, not while it is in full flight.

I get the excitement about this. And the terror!

Probably because it is all so calm and quiet at the moment, people just don't understand how bad it could turn out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

The clear up, higher insurance, possible fatalities because the emergency services had to rescue some idiot surfing, there will be plenty to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Just got the text from work.
    Office will be open but work from home if needed/wanted.

That'll be fine til the power goes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Everyone here has their bins out and no intention of taking them in by the looks of things.

Bin roulette tomorrow.Even a standard blustery day can send them flying.80mph winds will wreak havoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Does anyone have any examples of previous storms that were at the same wind speeds as what's anticipated? I'm trying to get my dad to listen to me that this is serious and I thought if I showed him the pictures of the damage done by a similar storm he might pay attention. At the moment, he's more worried about the repair work he's going to do in the camper tomorrow. And we are living in Cork County on top of a hill.

He'll be repairing more than the camper this week... Some people can be just so stubborn..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Drive?

Because the car being blown over is the only danger

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/woman-killed-by-falling-tree-during-100kmh-winds-26654137.html

Seriously i am a shocked at the piss poor attitudes towards safety from quite a lot of people

NUIG facebook graduation post is a real eye opener in particular, more so because these are statements from people who have supposedly graduated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Surely if you are closing all educational institutions you should also be closing the state transport services or are the lives of those people not as important :confused:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1015/912467-ophelia/

Whole country upgraded to Status Red

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

rain has started in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

And of course, don't forget to have a battery radio at hand, just in case there are power cuts.

Cows Go µ wrote: »

Sit him down and make him watch Rocky 4 and Cliffhanger with Stallone. He will get it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yoganmahew

My guess is they can’t guarantee county boundaries. Like if you make Dublin red then you cause a ripple effect out to all the surrounding counties. Replicate that across the country and it causes too many problems trying to predict who will be orange/red. Like is leixlip orange and lucan red? Wouldn’t make sense
    Well, that, and it's not a strictly numeric criteria for the warning:

https://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/warnings-explained.asp
    Given that the thrust of the Weather Warnings service is on potential “Impacts” of weather rather than on the numerical values attained by the weather elements themselves, it may on occasion be appropriate to issue warnings at a level higher than that strictly justified by the anticipated weather elements.
    Given the wide nature of the weather event (wind, rain, flooding) over both coasts, emergency services are likely to be quite stretched. Does this play into the warning? I guess it can.

Add to that, we haven't had anything like this is modern times... who knows what bits of the Celtic Tiger will fall to pieces with sustained gusts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Storm in tea cup for me.

Not a breath of wind atm, I think media are over hyping this as usual.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement