Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,050 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Will be awful to see so many ruins flattened, if this thing is as big as expected they will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭Goose81

flaneur wrote: »
    Because if you instruct someone to come to work, despite a national advisory of extremely dangerous conditions, legally : on your head be it!

They would not have made that decision if you were not compelling them to and Ireland is HIGHLY litigious...

All I’m saying is you’d be a brave business owner to take that kind of legal risk for the sake of what’s likely to be a very unproductive day anyway...

No it's not legally on their heads, stop talking nonsense. Its an act of God, no employer would ever be held responsible for the death of an employee traveling to work.

Mod note

Get Back on topic please ie Weather
    If you want to discuss employment then take it to a more appropriate forum

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Storm in tea cup for me.

Not a breath of wind atm, I think media are over hyping this as usual.

It won't arrive until 6am, why is it so hard for people to follow the weather warnings from Met Eireann??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Drive?

Unless the wind will be strong enough to blow cars off the road which is unlikely. People in the east don't have any excuses tomorrow.
    cars being blown off the road isn't the problem , although high sided lorries would be at risk . Falling trees , signs etc and flying debris is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

I have to go to work as I work in a hospital as does OH in Dublin. I am guessing we will be getting an email from Creche any min to say they are closed. Disaster!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Any word from dublin bus. Are they running tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Storm in tea cup for me.

Your just looking to rise someone ya messer ya

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Storm in tea cup for me.

I don't get this attitude at all..

There's multiple sources all reporting the same thing, the language being used (potential risk to lives) isn't used lightly.. yet it's over-hyped??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Fog has appeared here in north cork. Is this a phenomenon before a storm?

Foggy here in kanturk co cork

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

Bricking it now I am. I'm in Roscommon. Dead still out, light misty rain. I reckon there won't be a wink o'sleep to be had tonight in anticipation of the hammering we are going to get in the morning. Holy ****. Have 2 flasks ready to be filled with boiling water in the morning for when the power goes. Batteries in the torches and radio. Good luck folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Coax

rain has started in Tralee.

Misting here in West Limerick.
    Calm conditions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Storm in tea cup for me.

The problem is that, in this case, the teacup is Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Well I've cleared my garden and garden furniture anyway, not taking any chances here in Sth Dublin. AND PLEASE KEEP YOUR PETS INSIDE TONIGHT AND TOMORROW!! What will happen to the poor sheep on the mountains?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Goose81 wrote: »
    No it's not legally on their heads, stop talking nonsense. Its an act of God, no employer would ever be held responsible for the death of an employee traveling to work.

Act of god that is already being predicted and they are ignoring it.

If a red warning is in operation in an area in which an employer has advised staff that they still need to travel to then I think a good case could be made in court against them if something happened to the employee as a result. I don't see it as any different to endangering the lives of your employees in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You must have missed situations in other countries where events like this are treated like national emergencies and appropriate advice is issued at local, state or national level to citizens on how best to look after themselves.

Is that a "nanny state" in such a scenario, or a Government looking after it's citizens?

You're just being contrary for the sake of it IMO so I won't be responding to you further.

Appropriate advice is being issued!!!!!

You have been told umpteen times to avoid non-essential travel during red alert warnings. Nothing could be clearer than that!!!

The problem is people wanting to be spoon-fed for every particular situation.

If you wake up in the morning and the weatherman (extremely unlikely) says the storm has taken a westerly turn and will only affect the west coast and downgrades all the red alerts, then you know that you should go to work. If, as is more likely the red alert is confirmed, then you also know what to do (unless you are responsible for the health and safety of others).

At the end of the day, this is a simple issue for most - do the sensible thing, and don't rely on anyone else to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Storm in tea cup for me.

It's as if the storm was currently passing west of France rather than outside your bedroom window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

When an unknown event like this happens that most of us have never experienced before it's pure madness the way some people have not as much as cleaned up the yard never mind talking about travelling to work.... I for one will be putting on the fire early for the day and sitting back to see how it all passes off with interest... There's a large wind farm that can be seen from the rear of the house here, 30+of them will be interesting to see how they handle them if the worst of it passes my way.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

yoganmahew wrote: »
    Add to that, we haven't had anything like this is modern times... who knows what bits of the Celtic Tiger will fall to pieces with sustained gusts...

There will be bits of decking flying all over the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Storm in tea cup for me.

Won't be till around 6.00 am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

doommurphy.png

Haven't used this in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

mothel wrote: »
    Well I've cleared my garden and garden furniture anyway, not taking any chances here in Sth Dublin. AND PLEASE KEEP YOUR PETS INSIDE TONIGHT AND TOMORROW!! What will happen to the poor sheep on the mountains?

They'll have a nice perm by Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Storm in tea cup for me.

As the saying goes, 'the calm before the storm'.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Anyone have any practical advice on preparing, anyone from the states on here used to Hurricanes?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Drive?

Unless the wind will be strong enough to blow cars off the road which is unlikely. People in the east don't have any excuses tomorrow.

Really? I must have been reading a different set of forecasts to you. Driving on roads that may not have street lights, traffic lights out, and possibly trees down across them is safe?

And yes, gusts of 150 Kts will be enough to blow cars off the road in some situations, even more so if we get the sort of rain that now seems possible.

The latest update from ME that put the rest of the country on Red alert says it all
    Violent and destructive gusts are forecast with all areas at risk ..........eastern counties in the afternoon. Also heavy rain and storm surges along some coasts will result in flooding.

There is potential risk to lives.

That is about as blunt and specific as you can get. It is very much not the normal language used by ME when posting alert messages, they are clearly very concerned about this event.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

What if you only live a 10 minute drive from work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I keep hearing "Red Warning". What actual wind speeds are we talking about in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

Kagawa wrote: »
    Living in Cork, 50km comute to work, won't be going in, my work won't replace my car if its totalled trying to get in or home and can't replace me in the worst case scenario!

i wouldn't give a **** what boss said what, there is no way i'd travel in that your life is more important than a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Autochange wrote: »
    What if you only live a 10 minute drive from work?

Depends if you are in a south, western county, then I would say probably better stay home,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

Really? I must have been reading a different set of forecasts to you. Driving on roads that may not have street lights, traffic lights out, and possibly trees down across them is safe?

And yes, gusts of 150 Kts will be enough to blow cars off the road in some situations, even more so if we get the sort of rain that now seems possible.

The latest update from ME that put the rest of the country on Red alert says it all

That is about as blunt and specific as you can get. It is very much not the normal language used by ME when posting alert messages, they are clearly very concerned about this event.

Would'nt like to be heading up the Curragh on the M7 in the middle of it tomorrow....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sorry I cannot help laughing that a Wind Farm cannot cope with high winds!

(I do realise there are limits but honestly).

Advertisement