Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any idea of time it will hit Dublin?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Kagawa wrote: »
    Depends if you are in a south, western county, then I would say probably better stay home,

North Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Waiting patiently for rte news for latest

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Starts 6ish tomorrow, the worst will be about mid day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Depends if you are in a south, western county, then I would say probably better stay home,

Ugh, Sligo travelling to Mayo. About a 50 minute drive. Still dunno what to do to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Tyson Fury wrote: »

The afternoon, but no time confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Might be record viewing figures for Nine O'Clock news

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Looking forward to reports on the Nine o clock news now.

I don't watch TV so rely on you lot for an update on our National Broadcaster. Thank you.

And although there is a TV in the house with all the gizmos I avoid it like the plague, am much better for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

With status red now in place what's the general attitude from employers on employees journeying to work?

We've decided we're working from home tomorrow. A bit overly cautious perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Autochange wrote: »
    What if you only live a 10 minute drive from work?
    It takes a second for your car to be hit by flying debris etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Michelle_b

Anyone have any practical advice on preparing, anyone from the states on here used to Hurricanes?

Batteries, torch, candles, Petrol in car, anything outside tidied and put away, tinned food or food that can last a few days, everything fully charged, water in pots or couple of bottles stored. Pets indoors and safe as they will be frightened. Check on anyone elderly or disabled that might need extra help. Stay indoors and stay safe. I have been through a few and it's just about being safe to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

2uoo3k9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭NASlad

Wonder will high tides effect things?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Cianos wrote: »
    With status red now in place what's the general attitude from employers on employees journeying to work?

I don't think it's overly cautious. Employers vary. Some are saying for employees not to come in, others are saying it's business as usual. There is no national guideline on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If you are fortunate enough to have the option to work from home tomorrow, do not hesitate, grab it with both hands.

Many would love to have that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭i8mancs

Gael23 wrote: »
    How are people supposed to get to work?

Your not, Stay at home, do you see the people of Florida etc going to work when they get warnings like this. But this is Ireland The clowns in the Government need to come out with a clear message for people to stay at home, all non essential business's to close, people are going to be killed tomorrow making unnecessary journeys. Stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyha

I closed my business tomorrow, work is really not that important versus what the alternative could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Mine is eh very cautious..... Be in for 9 as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You must have missed situations in other countries where events like this are treated like national emergencies and appropriate advice is issued at local, state or national level to citizens on how best to look after themselves.

Is that a "nanny state" in such a scenario, or a Government looking after it's citizens?

You're just being contrary for the sake of it IMO so I won't be responding to you further.

Advice has been issued, warnings have been issued..

Its been called life threatening.
    People are warned against unnecessary travel.
    People have been advised to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

On the plus side traffic will be really light on the n7 in the morning, every cloud and all that...

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

WOnder has air pressure changed, my ears feel like they are about to pop and as a migraine sufferer I've a pain in my head in the last 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

2uoo3k9.jpg

No embrace your experiences. We also know some of this is manipulated, if this comes here, apart from nature, it's meant to do so. !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Don't listen to anyone telling you it's overly cautious. This is a dangerous weather event with a rapidly changing track and strength forecast and could become life-threatening for anyone out on the roads. Could. That should be enough for anyone to take precautions. I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Overprepare, and worst case scenario is you're out a few Euro in supplies that you can probably keep and use for the next storm.
    Underprepare, and you could seriously injure yourself or others with you.

To me, overpreparing is absolutely a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I've got work tomorrow. Just afraid the shopping centre roof will peel off like a tin of beans..

Stay home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭crushproof

Atrocious handling by the government. Thousands of people wondering if they have to go to work tomorrow in life threatening conditions. All it bloody takes is Leo or some minister to come on air for two minutes to announce a total shutdown of the country. Suspend all public transport and tell employers not to expect staff to come. FFS it's a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Anyone have any practical advice on preparing, anyone from the states on here used to Hurricanes?

Have a gawk at the US's https://www.ready.gov/hurricanes,
    have a look at advice for T-12hrs, that's when it's due (if not before).

If not done so already, also see T-24-36, plenty of advice including having a basic disaster supplies kit, including food and water, a flashlight, batteries, chargers, cash, and first aid supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Went to local supermarket about an hour ago. People with trollies piled high. Staff said it had been exceptionally busy all day.
    As elsewhere has been eerily quiet here all day with the slightest breeze from the north just starting to develop.

NW Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

can't wait for the new insurance quote.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

No word from work. Hopefully the building blows down. That will teach him.

Advertisement