Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭NASlad

You have to remember not everyone can stay home from work. Most of our public services will have to go to work. Health service and hospitals, ESB, County Councils, Emergency Services.
    As far as the HSE is concerned all non necessary things have been postponed, including outpatient appointments and non urgent things or so I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Ah yeah, it's always like that, first there is the brigade of "ah it's grand that's just overhyped" and after the damage is done the same people are crying why they haven't been warned.

On a lighter note, I got the last torches in Tesco today.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

This will only last about 12 hour, yeah? Why are people panic buying food, don't get that,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Autochange wrote: »
    No word from work. Hopefully the building blows down. That will teach him.

Dont lose sleep over it. If you don't feel safe going to work, stay home. Looks like an exceptional situation ahead and you won't be the only one staying home tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,050 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mary-Poppins-Flying-85760.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Asked this in anther thread so apologises, they other thread looks more like a moan fest!
    But hardly an air pressure change? Ears popping and dirty head ache, I suffer from migraines.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

yop wrote: »
    WOnder has air pressure changed, my ears feel like they are about to pop and as a migraine sufferer I've a pain in my head in the last 20 minutes.

That's gas.

I can feel something similar in my ears. But no migraines here thank god.

Just TOO calm for me with all the apocalyptic news going down. Really calm also, just like a frosty or misty Autumnal evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Kagawa wrote: »
    This will only last about 12 hour, yeah? Why are people panic buying food, don't get that,

Its their chance to stuff their faces with chocolate without being judged?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

If power outages are widespread, those could last longer than 12 hours. Hopefully they're buying non-perishable food anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

crushproof wrote: »
    Atrocious handling by the government. Thousands of people wondering if they have to go to work tomorrow in life threatening conditions. All it bloody takes is Leo or some minister to come on air for two minutes to announce a total shutdown of the country. Suspend all public transport and tell employers not to expect staff to come. FFS it's a joke.

They've shut all schools, colleges and creches, theyve put the Army etc on standby, the chair of the national emergency unit has just stated that people shouldn't go out.

Its up to you now to make your own call on whether you go to work or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

It's possible electricity could be down for a few days in some areas. Roads could be blocked by fallen trees for people living in the country etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

LirW wrote: »
    Ah yeah, it's always like that, first there is the brigade of "ah it's grand that's just overhyped" and after the damage is done the same people are crying why they haven't been warned.

On a lighter note, I got the last torches in Tesco today.

Ha "lighter note ".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

NASlad wrote: »
    You have to remember not everyone can stay home from work. Most of our public services will have to go to work. Health service and hospitals, ESB, County Councils, Emergency Services.
    As far as the HSE is concerned all non necessary things have been postponed, including outpatient appointments and non urgent things or so I'm told.

Where are you seeing that about the HSE? Family member has a non-urgent appointment I'm trying to convince them they can reschedule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

That’s the difference between essential and non essential travel!
    If you have to get key staff to and from a hospital or to an ESB emergency, you would have contingencies in place, including possibly assistance from emergency services if needed.

If you’re an accountant, an IT consultant or pretty much anything isn’t life or death -it can wait ‘till Tuesday!!

What some businesses’ view or “life and death” is however is another issue entirely...

There’s a judgement call here: please do not put peoples lives at risk for profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Cork, 21:10, second bottle of wine. what will I miss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Any flooded shops with no power and possible structural damage may not operate business as normal on Tuesday morning.

Bottled water is the most important of all supplies, always a good idea to just place filtered cold tap water in the fridge now. I'd also put plastic water bottles in the freezer to keep food cool should the power go down for any length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Will hospital appointments go ahead tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

There's a chance of being stuck without electricity and running water for days, and with the chance of trees/debris/flooding being on the road, it might not be possible to go out to get necessary supplies for days afterwards. Also need to stock up on non-perishable food (ie, food that doesn't need to be cooked), candles, torches, batteries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Where are all the homeless people going to go, to be safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Donal55 wrote: »
    They've shut all schools, colleges and creches, theyve put the Army etc on standby, the chair of the national emergency unit has just stated that people shouldn't go out.

Its up to you now to make your own call on whether you go to work or not.

The public transport is a fair point. If that is running the implicit message is that if you can avail of it you can make it to work. If it’s shut down people will feel well within their rights not to go in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I actually could do with some advice: We have a loaded skip in front of our house, I'm concerned that there will be stuff blown out, is there anything I can do? We didn't get a cover for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

MJohnston wrote: »
    If power outages are widespread, those could last longer than 12 hours. Hopefully they're buying non-perishable food anyway!

Cans of heineken, bud and guinness. All non perishable with good best by dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

This emergency advice is a bit frustrating - "don't be out in this"?

What does that mean? If you work on a building site that's all very well, but what about people queuing for buses, or walking into work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭pauldry

Right to close all schools even if wind not as bad in some areas

If anything happened to any child due to wind or hvy rain tomorrow it would be unforgiveable.

They should just close everything n we can work Christmas Day instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭NASlad

Where are you seeing that about the HSE? Family member has a non-urgent appointment I'm trying to convince them they can reschedule

Got a text from work.
    But you can find info here https://twitter.com/hselive?lang=en

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

hmmm wrote: »

What does that mean? If you work on a building site that's all very well, but what about people queuing for buses, or walking into work?

They said don't be outside during the storm. Don't be outside - whether thats walking to work or walking to a bus stop, or in your car driving to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,050 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There's a chance of being stuck without electricity and running water for days, and with the chance of trees/debris/flooding being on the road, it might not be possible to go out to get necessary supplies for days afterwards. Also need to stock up on non-perishable food (ie, food that doesn't need to be cooked), candles, torches, batteries etc.

No electricity and running water for days???? What country are you in? This forum is for Ireland. There's a chance of a power outage alright. But if it lasts more than a few hours I'll be amazed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

LirW wrote: »
    I actually could do with some advice: We have a loaded skip in front of our house, I'm concerned that there will be stuff blown out, is there anything I can do? We didn't get a cover for it.

Where are you in the country? you may be able to get something early tomorrow to cover it up if you aren't in the south of the country

Advertisement