Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

hmmm wrote: »
    This emergency advice is a bit frustrating - "don't be out in this"?

What does that mean? If you work on a building site that's all very well, but what about people queuing for buses, or walking into work?

Well the national emergency coordination group dude was just on RTE news, said 'don't be outside while the storm is passing'. I think that means no queing for buses, walking to work etc. it's fairly self explanatory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Where are all the homeless people going to go, to be safe?

The HSE needs to be MUCH clearer on this. The last thing you want is already vulnerable hospital patients trying to get to appointments in a storm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

LirW wrote: »
    I actually could do with some advice: We have a loaded skip in front of our house, I'm concerned that there will be stuff blown out, is there anything I can do? We didn't get a cover for it.

If you get 2 or 3 large sheets of timber, or mattresses or such like and tie it all down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Where are all the homeless people going to go, to be safe?

TBH, were they EVER "safe" cry on my shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

They said don't be outside during the storm. Don't be outside - whether thats walking to work or walking to a bus stop, or in your car driving to work.
    That's not much use to be honest - they need to say that very clearly. Employers are expecting people at work tomorrow, and in some cases are directly telling staff they are expected.

After this is all over, we will need a strong discussion about our national emergency warning system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I can sympathize with the warning dilemma given that various counties may be partly red and partly orange level warning criteria. Anyway, we should let it go, people who come here for additional information will get what they need to know within the boundaries of the uncertainty inherent in the situation, and I don't think anyone could say for certain that point A on the map absolutely will not be at level 3, although at this point in time, I think the "real" level 3 is defined by anything east of the track of the low to about a northeast Galway to Meath line as north of that it's probable although not guaranteed that inland winds will be reduced by the cumulative friction of land encounter (this is overall why the low weakens from 12z Monday to 00z Tuesday) but here again, having all the country in red means no regrets and fewer people travelling from places they figure are safe to places not as safe as where they start the journey.

My own thinking on this storm has not changed much from my morning outlook but I am preparing an update for the forecast thread, hoping to post that at 9 pm.
    I'd even say that Meath wouldn't face the same risk that parts of Louth would face, like the Cooley Peninsula thanks to the southerly track of winds. Same goes for Offaly and perhaps Laois in that region of red alert threat. I'd call the alert for coastal counties plus Tipp and Kilkenny, but that would account for most of the population of the country anyway. Maybe the nationwide red alert is the best call after all :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Message off another work colleague that he got says they want us, and I quote
    critical business functions should the priority for your teams tomorrow so we can keep the lights on

Critical business functions is management speak for people who take calls and keep the systems there. What the fcuk do we do when the power goes like, go back out and fix the lines ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

MadYaker wrote: »
    No electricity and running water for days???? What country are you in? This forum is for Ireland. There's a chance of a power outage alright. But if it lasts more than a few hours I'll be amazed.

The freak storm we had back in February a few years back had us without power for about 4 days. Like it or not parts of Ireland might as well be 2nd world. And no we don't live up a hill, we live less than 1km from a village in Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/919644916267077633
    Every single school is closed tomorrow.

Slight nitpick, but that's not necessarily 100% true. Not every school comes under Dept Education, particularly some private primary schools. Though the one private primary that I know well is closing, as is sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That's not much use to be honest - they need to say that very clearly. Employers are expecting people at work tomorrow, and in some cases are directly telling staff they are expected.

After this is all over, we will need a strong discussion about our national emergency warning system.

That's extremely unlikely to happen. After this is done, we'll just expect it to never happen again, and proceed on

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

herself's flight back from Portugal to cork cancelled, was arriving around midday tomorrow. Already a heap of flights out cancelled from Cork - airlines will be in a mess for the week over this, good luck trying to get in touch to reschedule. Was already on hold 1 hr.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why isn't there a national advice to this.

Are businesses to open tomorrow? Should people go to work?

I find it strange how this is being handled.

LirW wrote: »
    I actually could do with some advice: We have a loaded skip in front of our house, I'm concerned that there will be stuff blown out, is there anything I can do? We didn't get a cover for it.

Have you a net to cover it?

Try tethering ropes across and securely fastening them. If any large items use these as a cover and securely tightly.

Remove all small objects that could be blown out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I can’t find an entry in the airdisaster.com accident database for the Cape Verde air crash that supposedly happened due to Hurricane Debbie. I can’t find details about it anywhere actually apart from in Irish accounts of the storm. Did it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,086 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

roddy15 wrote: »
    The freak storm we had back in February a few years back had us without power for about 4 days. Like it or not parts of Ireland might as well be 2nd world. And no we don't live up a hill, we live less than 1km from a village in Tipp.

We were without power for a week I think. We live in rural Kerry. I fear what tomorrow will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

The weather at the best of times is an obsession in this country, throw in a bit of extreme (which is nowhere extreme by international standards) and we have a frenzy which we can see happening now.

Extreme in Ireland is considered when a "heatwave" hits, sub zero temperatures, snow and a passing storm..

What will happen tomorrow is some structural damage such as slates flying off, trees falling etc, disruption in travel, power outages and possibly some injuries from projectiles but hopefully not. By Tuesday it will have passed.

A level of rationality is sorely needed when it comes to the weather in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

No electricity and running water for days???? What country are you in? This forum is for Ireland. There's a chance of a power outage alright. But if it lasts more than a few hours I'll be amazed.

What COUNTY are you In?
    I'm rural cork and yup have been left without power for 4/5 days in the past - remember having to move out of the house to in laws one time when one if the children were very small as it went on so long. When my power is out it also means I've no water for drinking/toilets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why isn't there a national advice to this.

Are businesses to open tomorrow? Should people go to work?

I find it strange how this is being handled.

The national advice is clear - that people should NOT be out in this weather tomorrow. The Government can't tell individual employers what to do, but that is the national advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Is this storm hitting land after 9am?

Very hard to get a time off the news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

UCD has been closed for tomorrow now too

lwTfsyXhTz24kwNFV_EDgg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The national advice is clear - that people should NOT be out in this weather tomorrow. The Government can't tell individual employers what to do, but that is the national advice.

Why can't the government tell business what to do when lives could be at stake.

I can't just not go to work tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for all of the input over the last week, it has been really fascinating.

I reinforced my weather station this morning, so "hopefully" it will stay online for the duration of the event. It will be running from a USB power bank and WIFI hotspot, so should be power cut proof.

I am at 65M ASL in Newcastle West, Co Limerick, and the wind vane is above the roof level of houses in the area.

www.weatherken.com

Be safe everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Some parts of the country were without utilities for days after the storm in 2014, and this one is meant to be worse. ESB workers won't be able to go out safely until at least Tuesday if power lines are blown down. Uprooted trees can take out pipes with them, and some reservoirs can't operate properly without electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

If you are expected to go to work tomorrow and something happens to you or to your car for example, do you have a legal leg to stand on?

Highly unlikely due to the fact it is a natural disaster. The big issue is that a lot of people will go to work and it will be grand but then be stuck inside all day and most of the night as, over the day, it gets too dangerous to go outside

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

McCrack wrote: »
    The weather at the best of times is an obsession in this country, throw in a bit of extreme (which is nowhere extreme by international standards) and we have a frenzy which we can see happening now.

Extreme in Ireland is considered when a "heatwave" hits, sub zero temperatures, snow and a passing storm..

What will happen tomorrow is some structural damage such as slates flying off, trees falling etc, disruption in travel, power outages and possibly some injuries from projectiles but hopefully not. By Tuesday it will have passed.

A level of rationality is sorely needed when it comes to the weather in this country

The international media is giving this plenty of coverage, if this was nothing then why would they be running with the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

I just got text number 3 telling me to be in work tomorrow. I haven't answered any of them. Neither has anyone else I've been talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

irishfeen wrote: »
    From watching hurricane coverage from the US, its the NE quadrant around the eye of a storm which gets the brunt and surge right??

Looks like Cork and Kerry are going to get an awful doing. We are about 190m ASL in North Cork - I will give updates as much as I can but we will almost certainly lose power being so rural.

Currently - 11.8 degC, 90% Humidity, 986.9 hpa

Please do. North cork too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Just watching the weather forecast,it is going to be a very fast moving storm so at least it will pass over us quickly, hopefully by tomorrow evening the worst will have passed.

Advertisement