Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

The national advice is clear - that people should NOT be out in this weather tomorrow. The Government can't tell individual employers what to do, but that is the national advice.

Hard to get the message across to some people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why can't the government tell business what to do when lives could be at stake.

I can't just not go to work tomorrow.

Why not, just say your car got totalled by a wheelie bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Joanna Donnelly has really grown into this event over the past couple of days. This will be the making of her.
    She looks like someone who has been studying the models and data constantly since Friday. Her confidence is on the up and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This post has been deleted.

No. If you're driving you have car insurance though. But to be honest if you live in a coastal country driving tomorrow is not a good idea. At least based on the forecasts at the moment that's how it looks. Tomorrow people can make a call on it.

I'm lucky that I can work from home, I live in Galway city and I doubt I'll be going anywhere. I've drank a whole bottle on wine in preparation.!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Donal55 wrote: »
    Hard to get the message across to some people.

People have to get to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

McCrack wrote: »
    The weather at the best of times is an obsession in this country, throw in a bit of extreme (which is nowhere extreme by international standards) and we have a frenzy which we can see happening now.

Extreme in Ireland is considered when a "heatwave" hits, sub zero temperatures, snow and a passing storm..

What will happen tomorrow is some structural damage such as slates flying off, trees falling etc, disruption in travel, power outages and possibly some injuries from projectiles but hopefully not. By Tuesday it will have passed.

A level of rationality is sorely needed when it comes to the weather in this country

We have not seen anything like what is predicted to occur 12 hours from now for about 50 years, this is not the usual winter storm panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

The national advice is clear - that people should NOT be out in this weather tomorrow. The Government can't tell individual employers what to do, but that is the national advice.

yes you can ffs are you a prisoner? Jeeeeeesus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My boss rang me to say if anyone doesn't feel safe travelling in the morning it's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No people have to stay safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

The weather at the best of times is an obsession in this country, throw in a bit of extreme (which is nowhere extreme by international standards) and we have a frenzy which we can see happening now.

Extreme in Ireland is considered when a "heatwave" hits, sub zero temperatures, snow and a passing storm..

What will happen tomorrow is some structural damage such as slates flying off, trees falling etc, disruption in travel, power outages and possibly some injuries from projectiles but hopefully not. By Tuesday it will have passed.

A level of rationality is sorely needed when it comes to the weather in this country

Yeah, some objects flying around, no biggie. A man in Ireland was killed during Hurricane Debbie when he was caught in the neck by debris. The warnings minimise the chances of horrors like that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I work in the public sector. Have been told that the office is open tomorrow. I'm not risking it.

I have all the plywood i have now put up on site. Hopefully it will be enough to keep the roof on :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Thanks for all the advice regarding loaded skip. I'm in the middle of nowhere on the Wicklow/Wexford border and definitely can't go anywhere tomorrow, I have small children here. Will try removing everything that can be blown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭i8mancs

kenmc wrote: »
    Well the national emergency coordination group dude was just on RTE news, said 'don't be outside while the storm is passing'. I think that means no queing for buses, walking to work etc. it's fairly self explanatory

Wouldn't you think he would say for everybody to stay at home, DO NOT GO TO WORK, unless your work is of a critical nature, could anchor man not have asked the question, seriously the chimps in the zoo could do a better job

• Registered Users Posts: 49 boa2507

Should i call work tomorrow morning to say i cant go to work as i cant travel to due to danger of driving as MET eireann said there is risk to life or chance driving to work. I live in connemara, county galway and would have an hour driving into galway city and out again in the evening :(:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

The government probably dont want to effect the tax take for a whole days takings.Sad but they wouldn't admit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’m so confused. On the one hand we have a national red warning. On the other we have posters saying that the wind speeds aren’t that high on the charts. I’m in north kildare on the outskirts of a decently populated town.

I’m working off the assumption that we’ll get decently strong winds and likely lose power/broadband for a period. None of us need to leave the house tomorrow

I don’t know whether I’m over or under reacting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I am due to cross Dublin city tomorrow around 4/5pm for work - what are the chances a state of emergency will be issued and all businesses will be closed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

yes you can ffs are you a prisoner? Jeeeeeesus

A lot of people are lemmings when it comes to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Probably because the Govt just doesn't have the legal power to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Slight nitpick, but that's not necessarily 100% true. Not every school comes under Dept Education, particularly some private primary schools. Though the one private primary that I know well is closing, as is sensible.

My brothers in the institute (Private) and it's closed tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ok realistically....

Electives and non-emergency procedures like Chemo are likely to be postponed. Ring your clinics very early in the morning.

In Dublin, the morning rush hour weather is unlikely to be bad enough to disrupt the buses, rail, trams and airport, but by evening that will all change due to storm surge and/or overhead wire damage and debris. So, if you are going to work in the Capital in the morning, consider how you will be fixed if everything is cancelled during the day.

No one should use a bicycle, motorbike or high sided vehicle tomorrow.

The very old and very young are at great risk in the open, they should remain indoors altogether.

I see all parks are closed, i expect most leisure centres, libraries and other public buildings where a structural risk exists to follow suit.

Basically, tomorrow will be a write off, protect yourself and others and dont be damn stupid enough to go storm chasing, ive got a few friends who crew for RNLI and although they will be ready, if i hear someone has put them in harms way by being a fool, and you survive, ill come around and finish you off myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Gael23 wrote: »
    My boss rang me to say if anyone doesn't feel safe travelling in the morning it's ok

This is great and all, but how are people supposed to assess for themselves if it is safe or not? Best advice is take no risks, stay home and admire the power of what we are about to experience :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

How secure are For Sale signs?? I'm surrounded by them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jmcpnw

There will be no hurricane eye over Ireland. There will be the centre of the depression, which we always get. The country is totally overreacting to this.

I've been watching this system develop very carefully the last few days and have been giving my family the heads-up on getting ready because I've experienced a few Pacific Northwest Windstorms over the years..

There is a good article on wiki ( I cannot post url's)

.....wiki/Pacific_Northwest_windstorm

These mid latitude cyclonic systems are exceptionally destructive and quite different from run of the mill winter storms. For a start they transport up to an order of magnitude more energy than a typical frontal depression.

For me the 2006 storm was memorable not only because of just how much damage it did in the Puget Sound area around Seattle but for just how long electricity was out for. Up to several weeks for areas quite close to downtown. It was also memorably, sadly, because one of my kids schoolmates died in the aftermath.

So given that the last storm like this to hit Ireland was in 1961 I think all the fuss is more than justified. Based on my experience of them in the Pacific NW over the years you can never err in over-preparing for very nasty weather systems like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

This is the typical response from the average Irish person. This is going to be catastrophic, most of us here have never seen anything like this in our life times.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for all of the input over the last week, it has been really fascinating.

I reinforced my weather station this morning, so "hopefully" it will stay online for the duration of the event. It will be running from a USB power bank and WIFI hotspot, so should be power cut proof.

I am at 65M ASL in Newcastle West, Co Limerick, and the wind vane is above the roof level of houses in the area.

www.weatherken.com

Be safe everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They haven't been clear about non essential/ critical public sector. They've instructed schools to close, driving tests, etc. Nothing about the civil service or other public sector bodies. They could be setting an example!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

People have to decide which is more important. All the experts are saying don't go out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Probably because the Govt just doesn't have the legal power to do so.
    They could close all non-essential public sector offices. I'm in Galway city and have been told that our office is open tomorrow.

Advertisement