Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

sorry, this may have been asked already.
    What time are we expecting this to hit Dublin ?
    Will LUAS be running and should I not leave out the bins ?

Ta !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My brothers in the institute (Private) and it's closed tomorrow

Private secondary schools do get Dept Education funding, so presumably, he who pays the piper calls the tune. Private primary schools don't get Dept Education funding, so they make their own rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

RobAMerc wrote: »
    sorry, this may have been asked already.
    What time are we expecting this to hit Dublin ?
    Will LUAS be running and should I not leave out the bins ?

Ta !

From 6am

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They haven't been clear about non essential/ critical public sector. They've instructed schools to close, driving tests, etc. Nothing about the civil service or other public sector bodies. They could be setting an example!
    That's a good point. They haven't asked non-essential public sector workers to stay home, so the government are sending a clear message that you should be travelling to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Probably because the Govt just doesn't have the legal power to do so.

However, they could make a statement by closing all non-essential public service offices, and strongly advise all private businesses close, and that would probably be enough to close 95% and more companies across Ireland with just a few stubborn ones left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why can't the government tell business what to do when lives could be at stake.

I can't just not go to work tomorrow.

You absolutely can. If they have or will threaten you with disciplinary action, you'll clean up

Fucuk the unreasonable managers (blowins in a lot of cases) who expect people to ignore warnings issued by a well respected national agency, under threat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Hard to know what to do work wise. On another note the teachers have yet another day off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

titan18 wrote: »
    However, they could make a statement by closing all non-essential public service offices, and strongly advise all private businesses close, and that would probably be enough to close 95% and more companies across Ireland with just a few stubborn ones left
    Fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Belt

boa2507 wrote: »
    Should i call work tomorrow morning to say i cant go to work as i cant travel to due to danger of driving as MET eireann said there is risk to life or chance driving to work. I live in connemara, county galway and would have an hour driving into galway city and out again in the evening :(:confused:

If I was in one of the "original" red counties i 100% would not go to work. I'm in Meath and working in Dublin and am thinking of going in early, do 4/5 hours and go home before the storm hits Dublin in the afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

They could still close all businesses! There is still time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

My dad is a postman, I keep telling him not to go tomorrow. He said he has to they haven't told him otherwise. Honestly I'm am full blown crappingmy pants about him being out in that tomorrow. Sister is telling me to calm down but I can't. He doesn't need to be out there let alone for the sake of some letters that can wait. I hope An Post sort something

• Registered Users Posts: 7 concernedalot

I am meant to fly to the U.K. Tomorrow and it's important that I am there. However with kids off school and the general weather warnings I am really nervous .

What do people think re a 9 am flight ? Air lines saying nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

You keep going on about this, and about courts and how they would hammer these evil companies.

Its incredibly naive on your part.

It should be said here, if you want to get into the nitty gritty, that employment law looks for discriminatory practices. So, in this case, if one was punished and another was not, for the same behaviour, then yes it will be a walk in the park in the employment appeals procedures.
    I would say do as your head tells you. I've taken 2 companies through 1. The employment appeals tribunal (small cowboy outfit) and 2. Government office (Labour Court) and both were behaving extremely thuggishly. One closed subsequently (pissed off ODCE !) and the govt office reacted to the ruling by paying multiple other colleagues also and respecting workers' hard-earned rights.

Use your head, have no fear and work like a demon Tuesday to Friday when you do go in. Sure we all will.

On the storm note, it's hard to know WHERE to park the cars with the way this storm will veer /back!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Text my boss there, going nowhere tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

My dad is a postman, I keep telling him not to go tomorrow. He said he has to they haven't told him otherwise. Honestly I'm am full blown crappingmy pants about him being out in that tomorrow. Sister is telling me to calm down but I can't. He doesn't need to be out there let alone for the sake of some letters that can wait. I hope An Post sort something

Isn’t tomorrow a no cycling day? That alone would mean most post would be cancelled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

hmmm wrote: »
    That's a good point. They haven't asked non-essential public sector workers to stay home, so the government are sending a clear message that you should be travelling to work.

Can you imagine the furore if the govt told its 285,000,000 employees not to bother coming in tomorrow.

While the 3 women in the local Costa Coffee battle through.

Why can't people make their own call. All the info and advice is there.
    Take a days leave, force majeure, sick or even unpaid leave.
    Its only one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

I am meant to fly to the U.K. Tomorrow and it's important that I am there. However with kids off school and the general weather warnings I am really nervous .

I'm in exactly same position as you 9.25 am flight to Isle of man, wife and kids will be at home

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Anyone know what peak times will be for Cork? Now that it's fast moving I'm wondering is it expected to be early morning? On a side note, I am in the public sector and our office is closed tomorrow. We are non essential though, bordering on pointless in weather like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

To be out the streets tomorrow delivering post or anything for matter should be a big ,No,No, same for couriers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Private secondary schools do get Dept Education funding, so presumably, he who pays the piper calls the tune. Private primary schools don't get Dept Education funding, so they make their own rules.

The Institute does not receive state funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Anyone have a clue when it's hitting Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

45412D0C00000578-4982006-image-a-9_1508085553414.jpg

This is central London in 1987,tomorrow's storm hitting us is expected to be even stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Anyone have a clue when it's hitting Dublin?

Late morning early afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

A basic emergency supply kit could include the following recommended items:

• Water - one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation, store in fridge.
    • Food - at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
    • Battery-powered or hand crank radio.
    • Flashlight - led bulbs are ideal should last 8hrs on lowest setting.
    • First aid kit - someone’s bound to get poked in the eye with a (flying) umberella
    • Extra batteries, flasks, hot/cold water bottles
    • Set fridge to coolest setting, in case of outage. Add ice pack to freezer compartment.
    • Whistle to signal for help - there’s no point shouting in a storm, you wont be heard.
    • Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
    • Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
    • Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
    • Manual can opener for food - enjoy them beans!
    • Local maps - if not in usual location. Don’t travel during peak storm, but if needed, wear reflective clothing.
    • Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery (mobile broadband services may be affected)
    • PMR walkie talkies may be handy if cell-towers drop for any nearby relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I am flying to Germany at 7am out of Dublin, if you are flying out of Dublin at 9am you'll be fine, you are heading away from the storm, East, before it reaches Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭crushproof

spookwoman wrote: »
    Great, posted at 21.38 the night before the storm. On Twitter which I doubt elderly folk will be looking for their updates on. I'm sorry but the handling and communication of this is terrible. Maybe we really do need that €5 million for Leos PR team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Any good camera feeds off the coast to watch its arrival?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Got word that work is closed tomorrow (public service). Such a relief as I have a 90KM drive each way to work!

Advertisement