Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Hi,

Check out Marine Traffic watch. Move the map over the area off the coast of France. Activate the weather tab and take a look at the vessels currently in the centre of the Hurricane. One of them is the Polaris Research vessel. Very, Very interesting site to get a realtime picture of there the storm is positioned and the effects it has on current marine traffic. I will try to post a screenshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

titan18 wrote: »

No its not true, it's complete bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Inquitus wrote: »
    I am flying to Germany at 7am out of Dublin, if you are flying out of Dublin at 9am you'll be fine, you are heading away from the storm, East, before it reaches Dublin.

Wouldnt agree with that, if the hurricane has made landfall by 6am in Kerry, the outer bands will affect Dublin with gusts, so depending on cross winds at Time of flight can't know for sure until tomorrow if flight will go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

garyha wrote: »
    I closed my business tomorrow, work is really not that important versus what the alternative could be.

Yep the more I read the more I'm happy with the decision. Had to cancel a meeting, but safety first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Hi,

Check out Marine Traffic watch. Move the map over the area off the coast of France. Activate the weather tab and take a look at the vessels currently in the centre of the Hurricane. One of them is the Polaris Research vessel. Very, Very interesting site to get a realtime picture of there the storm is positioned and the effects it has on current marine traffic. I will try to post a screenshot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 concernedalot

I am flying to Germany at 7am out of Dublin, if you are flying out of Dublin at 9am you'll be fine, you are heading away from the storm, East, before it reaches Dublin.

That's what I am worried about - hate leaving the kids in this weather

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yarghhh wrote: »

It's already at brest in France on Sat24 https://en.sat24.com/en/eu/infraPolair they one you linked to seems to be a bit behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lol if that's true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Still celebrity nonsense scrolling across screen on RTE News Now and a life threatening event on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Autochange wrote: »
    Hard to know what to do work wise. On another note the teachers have yet another day off!!!
    Yeah should have sent all the children to school just to avoid that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

I survived hurricane charlie back in 86, I'll survive this one too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Heavy fog now around Mallow too - viability not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Anyone like to comment on the scale of this.

Looking at Met Eireann's own colour system - it only shows gale force 8 to 9 on coastal areas and much less in Dublin area.

It is also Cat 3 on a cat 5 scale. Why is this considered such a national risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

It very mild tonight and there seems to be a large hatch of flies. They're everywhere.

Think of the poor flies tomorrow. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No its not true, it's complete bollox.

I did wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    I survived hurricane charlie back in 86, I'll survive this one too

Michael Fish didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

yes you can ffs are you a prisoner? Jeeeeeesus

doylefe wrote: »
    A lot of people are lemmings when it comes to work.

I'm contractually obliged to be there tomorrow. A lot of people are in the same situation.

Probably because the Govt just doesn't have the legal power to do so.

Can't it declare a state of emergency?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Looking at Met Eireann's own colour system - it only shows gale force 8 to 9 on coastal areas and much less in Dublin area.

Because its Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Even a cat 1 hurricane (or equivalent) would be a force 12 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

A lot of expertise has gone from this thread. Is there a more technical thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffir%E2%80%93Simpson_scale Read. I really don't get why people feel empowered to act like they know more than the NHC, Met Office and Met Eireann combined...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

It's already at brest in France on Sat24 https://en.sat24.com/en/eu/infraPolair they one you linked to seems to be a bit behind.

nullschool.net is 3 hrs behind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

garyha wrote: »
    I closed my business tomorrow, work is really not that important versus what the alternative could be.

Let me guess you own a wind surfing school on inch strand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

45412D0C00000578-4982006-image-a-9_1508085553414.jpg

This is central London in 1987,tomorrow's storm hitting us is expected to be even stronger.

Not sure about stronger, the 1987 storm featured hurricane force winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

A lot of expertise has gone from this thread. Is there a more technical thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057796550

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I'm taking the warnings seriously.I remember this one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burns%27_Day_Storm

9 killed in Co.Galway alone, 2 men in the city and 6 swiss tourists and 1 local in Portumna.

Seven people died when a large tree fell on their minibus outside Portumna, Co.Galway, at around 6:00pm on Saturday evening. Those who died were six Swiss tourists and a Tipperary youth. A local man escaped from the vehicle with minor injuries. A doctor, who lives 50 yards from where the accident occurred, said that the others died instantly. The tourists, two married couples and two men, all thought to be in their thirties, were here on a shooting holiday. They were joined for the day by Joe O'Meara (17) of Carrigahorig, Co.Tipperary and a guide from Portumna. That was by far the worst incident caused by Saturday's storm but another seven people also lost their lives.

Gale force winds and heavy rain have swept the country for much of the time since Christmas but these were minor in comparison to the weather we experienced on Saturday. It was clear from early Friday that we were in for something special. The forecasters were given extra time on television and radio news bulletins to explain just how bad it would be. They promised "strong storm force" winds with gusts of 100mph and up to one inch of rain.

The wind started to rise sometime in the middle of the night and we woke to radio news telling us that two men had died in Galway. They were asleep in a van parked in Lower Merchants Road when a wall was blown on to the van. They were named as John Mongan (20) of Hillside Park and Patrick Dodd (38) of Cooke's Terrace. Three other people in the van escaped although one received minor injuries. Later we heard that the wind fanned a chimney fire in Ballingarry, Co.Limerick, and the flames spread throughout the bungalow. Charles Treacy (78) died in the blaze and his sister was critically injured. At Ballybrack, Co.Dublin, Peter Roche (40) of Shankill was killed when a tree fell on his car. A falling tree also killed William Heslip (43) while he was tending cattle on his farm near Newry. In Rathcormack, Co.Waterford, Richard Kennedy (35) was electrocuted by a fallen cable on his brother's farm. On Sunday morning the body of a man was found under a tree in Coolock, Co.Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

It is a hurricane scale? (First result from a quick google)
    Category 3: Winds ranging from 111 to 130 mph cause significant damage to property, humans, and animals. Mobile and poorly constructed frame homes are often destroyed, and even well-built frame homes commonly sustain major damage. Significant damage to apartments and shopping centers (even those made of wood or steel) can be expected. Category 3 storms can also cause extensive inland flooding. Electricity and water are commonly unavailable for several days to several weeks after the storm, therefore it’s important for residents to have their own stores of canned food and water.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Looking at the tracking and speed, I honestly don't know how this will hit as late as it does. It genuinely looks like it'll reach the south around 3am at this rate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

A basic emergency supply kit could include the following recommended items:

• Water - one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation, store in fridge.
    • Food - at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
    • Battery-powered or hand crank radio.
    • Flashlight - led bulbs are ideal should last 8hrs on lowest setting.
    • First aid kit - someone’s bound to get poked in the eye with a (flying) umberella
    • Extra batteries, flasks, hot/cold water bottles
    • Set fridge to coolest setting, in case of outage. Add ice pack to freezer compartment.
    • Whistle to signal for help - there’s no point shouting in a storm, you wont be heard.
    • Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
    • Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
    • Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
    • Manual can opener for food - enjoy them beans!
    • Local maps - if not in usual location. Don’t travel during peak storm, but if needed, wear reflective clothing.
    • Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery (mobile broadband services may be affected)
    • PMR walkie talkies may be handy if cell-towers drop for any nearby relatives.

I presume that is a wind up

Advertisement