Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

A lot of expertise has gone from this thread. Is there a more technical thread.

More craic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I don't understand weather all that much. But Google weather is telling me that it is 99% humidity here right now, which I assume is extremely rare for this time of year, and is directly related to the incoming storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Anyone like to comment on the scale of this.

Looking at Met Eireann's own colour system - it only shows gale force 8 to 9 on coastal areas and much less in Dublin area.

It is also Cat 3 on a cat 5 scale. Why is this considered such a national risk.
    Autochange wrote: »
    Because its Ireland.

Do you think a Cat 3 is nothing.

Have a look at this.

_91548434_hurricane_scale_inf624.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Latest update on likely arrival times for storm-force winds, as always times are in AST so add 5 hours to get the Irish time:

430708.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    I survived hurricane charlie back in 86, I'll survive this one too

Little did jimmy180sx know that that would be his last ever post on boards before bein sadly taken from us by ex hurricane Ophelia!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I don't understand weather all that much. But Google weather is telling me that it is 99% humidity here right now, which I assume is extremely rare for this time of year, and is directly related to the incoming storm.

Probably because it's raining! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Looking at Met Eireann's own colour system - it only shows gale force 8 to 9 on coastal areas and much less in Dublin area.

Cat 1 is the first of a hurricane scale

this was posted earlier and will give you an understanding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

RTE testing an update ticker on the bottom of the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

The negligence in this thread and over the internet tonight is frightening. No one is saying this is our hurricane Katrina, but it’s a massive event. The lack of appreciation by some people is why fatalities are guaranteed now. Unprepared physically and mentally....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Just after seeing a "Test" banner scroll across rte 1 there now

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mrself

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

VinLieger wrote: »
    Cat 1 is the first of a hurricane scale

this was posted earlier and will give you an understanding

Unless something has changed and this storm has intensified a lot in the past hour it's a cat1, not a cat 3?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

The negligence in this thread and over the internet tonight is frightening. No one is saying this is our hurricane Katrina, but it’s a massive event. The lack of appreciation by some people is why fatalities are guaranteed now. Unprepared physically and mentally....

Some people seem to want it to be more than it is. We will be ok

awec wrote: »
    Unless something has changed and this storm has intensified a lot in the past hour it's a cat1, not a cat 3?

Yes it has, i was replying to someone clueless enough to ask "surely cat 3 of a scale of 5 cant be that bad"

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do you think a Cat 3 is nothing.

Have a look at this.

I thought they were the plans or MayoMick's gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Mrself wrote: »
    What about jury duty?

Court Services have said all Courts are suspended.

N.B.! HSE has cancelled all outpatient appointments. Sensible i think.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yes it has, i was replying to someone clueless enough to ask "surely cat 3 of a scale of 5 cant be that bad"

It's a cat3 hurricane? Are you sure? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes, but do you realise how serous that is?

Met Eireann lady on forecast after the news said that even though it will technically be an ex-hurricane in structure when here it will still bring hurricane strength winds.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Spotted that banner too on RTE 1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

TRAins still running driving across Drogheda viaduct will be hairy to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I'm looking at this like if it's unsafe for teachers,bus drivers to go to work and kids to go to school then it's equally unsafe for me to travel to work.
    My dog has so quite today and brought him for a walk tonight but couldn't get him to pass the front gate. He knows ****s going down in a few hours

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Met Eireann lady on forecast after the news said that even though it will technically be an ex-hurricane in structure when here it will still bring hurricane strength winds.

Yes Cat 1 winds. The lowest scale. If it was a cat 3 -5 that would be different

It's a cat3 hurricane? Are you sure? :confused:

No its been downgraded to cat 1, i was agreeing its been downgraded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Quick question, would it be better to move from a 3 storey building to a 2 storey building for safety reasons?

I know it's serious, but I don't think people should be saying it's a cat3 hurricane when it isn't.

NASlad wrote: »
    You have to remember not everyone can stay home from work. Most of our public services will have to go to work. Health service and hospitals, ESB, County Councils, Emergency Services.
    As far as the HSE is concerned all non necessary things have been postponed, including outpatient appointments and non urgent things or so I'm told.

That is why it would be better for all other work sectors to stay at home. The less people on the streets/roads means less work for the emergency services. I’d like to keep them as safe as possible too.

• Advertisement

TRAins still running driving across Drogheda viaduct will be hairy to say the least

Roller Coaster.

Advertisement