Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Autochange wrote: »
    Yes Cat 1 winds. The lowest scale. If it was a cat 3 -5 that would be different

Cat 1 is still damn serious, anyone under 50 hasnt seen this level of wind in ireland in their lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Rgb.ie

How do cranes fair up against those type of winds?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mrself

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Court Services have said all Courts are suspended.

N.B.! HSE has cancelled all outpatient appointments. Sensible i think.

Any link to that? Cant find anything re courts in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I dont think ye will be too bothered about categories tomorrow, when ye see constant wind speeds of a type youve never seen in this land before.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Most focus seems to be on the wind and how we haven’t seen anything like this before
    How about the rain? How will it compare to some of the downpours that have cause havoc in previous years
    And how bad would storm surge be? Just south facing coasts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Rgb.ie wrote: »
    they dont

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Rgb.ie wrote:

Don't worry they will rise to the challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Probably not related but it is eerily calm in Wexford not even a slight breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I'm looking at this like if it's unsafe for teachers,bus drivers to go to work and kids to go to school then it's equally unsafe for me to travel to work.
    My dog has so quite today and brought him for a walk tonight but couldn't get him to pass the front gate. He knows ****s going down in a few hours

This! My parents are saying their dog has been acting the same. They can't even get him to leave the house and normally he loves a walk.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Imagine everything in your back garden as it is now on the back of a lorry driving down the motorway at 60 mph.. stuff will move and break windows.

Take in your patio furniture etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yes it has, i was replying to someone clueless enough to ask "surely cat 3 of a scale of 5 cant be that bad"

It will all blow over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

HSE statement
    Outpatients: all hospital outpatient appointments are being cancelled tomorrow Monday 16th October. Consequently, patients do not need to attend or contact the hospital and they will be rescheduled as soon as possible.

Scheduled/planned procedures: Patients who are scheduled to have a planned procedure can contact the hospital in the morning to confirm if their procedure is going ahead. In order to minimise unnecessary travel risks for patients, only urgent procedures will take place tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Autochange wrote: »
    Yes Cat 1 winds. The lowest scale. If it was a cat 3 -5 that would be different

It's still very serious and a major event.

People seem to be underestimating this an awful lot.

I remember Hurricane Charlie which was was only an anti-cyclone but caused huge damage and flooding. Worst storm I've ever seen and tomorrow's winds will be stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why isn't there a national advice to this.

Are businesses to open tomorrow? Should people go to work?

I find it strange how this is being handled.

Why should there be a single national advice?

Different businesses face different risks, different commuters face different risks. If you live 200 yards from where you work, you obviously face different risks than someone who lives 100km away at a high level. If you work for the Gardai, Army or HSE as a paramedic, you obviously have different responsibilities to a customer representative in a bank in the current situation.

Employers and employees need to take sensible decisions.

I have already been involved in three different decisions about businesses closing tomorrow. Each one looked at the particular circumstances of the business, their employees and the weather situation in their area.

Mrself wrote: »
    Any link to that? Cant find anything re courts in Dublin

It’s in this report

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1015/912467-ophelia/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Any idea of time it will hit Dublin?

Teatime

Bah dum..tish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I work in a Government dept. and have just received a text to say our office is closed tomorrow. A bit late in the day, but at least it's one less thing to worry about.

My partner is still being expected to go into work, however. We're in Waterford.

LastLagoon wrote: »
    Most focus seems to be on the wind and how we haven’t seen anything like this before
    How about the rain? How will it compare to some of the downpours that have cause havoc in previous years
    And how bad would storm surge be? Just south facing coasts?

Storm surge will hit across the board, the wind is cyclonic so not like anything we are used to so it will change direction as the storm progresses and affect all coasts to some extent

• Registered Users Posts: 7 concernedalot

Do you guys think flights will depart dublin tomorrow between 10 and 11

• Advertisement

Probably not related but it is eerily calm in Wexford not even a slight breeze

The phrase "calm before the storm" doesn't come from nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Just so I have this right. When do they expect winds to start gathering a good pace around limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I work in a Government dept. and have just received a text to say our office is closed tomorrow. A bit late in the day, but at least it's one less thing to worry about.

My partner is still being expected to go into work, however. We're in Waterford.

Seems his employer needs some reality check

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I'm worried about all the stuff left out on the street and the yard and nobody seems to be noticing any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's weirdly still outside at the moment, not even the faintest gust of wind and horrifically humid. Also loads of insects stuck to windows and coming in windows towards light, completely bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Just saw that TEST thing on RTE on twitter, Christ that's like something out of a horror movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

blanch152 wrote: »
    Why should there be a single national advice?

Different businesses face different risks, different commuters face different risks. If you live 200 yards from where you work, you obviously face different risks than someone who lives 100km away at a high level. If you work for the Gardai, Army or HSE as a paramedic, you obviously have different responsibilities to a customer representative in a bank in the current situation.

Employers and employees need to take sensible decisions.

I have already been involved in three different decisions about businesses closing tomorrow. Each one looked at the particular circumstances of the business, their employees and the weather situation in their area.

Because not all businesses would do a full risk assessment and really consider their employee's welfare but consider customer service and profits.

You know the government decide other things in work like health and safety, minimum wage, holidays, maternity leave, unfair dismissals etc so there is no reason why they can't make call on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Limerick should be seeing strong winds any time after 0900h with the peak coming around 1100h to 1400h and easing by 1700h, approximately.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

For anyone still asking about the extent of it and or doubting the collective brain power of simulations and meteorologists I suggest you take the time to watch this update on the hurricane:

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/weather-30003847/10789908/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

How long roughly will the really dangerous winds last when they arrive in any one spot? Three or four hours maybe? Or am I being overly optimistic?

Advertisement