Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Love the bit about Trumps place "Ophelia could make landfall in Ireland close to President Trump's family golf resort near the village of Doonbeg. The resort, which has said it can lose as much as 10 meters of land to coastal erosion during a bad storm, is along the route expected to be hit by Ophelia's gale force winds. Trump International Golf Links & Hotel is constantly reviewing the situation, a spokesman said by email."

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2017/10/hurricane_ophelia_ireland.html

There is one about 80 metres high at the Waterford University Hospital.
    Forgot about that, Its only up the road from me

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

Hi I work on pottery road Dunlaoire east coast - have to travel from Sandymount Monday night not to far but don't want to chance it because live by the sea sandy mount / high tides /debris / fallen trees etc
    Or am I over reacting or will I take day off?
    Any info would be great,

Thanks great insight to weather information you all have taught me a lot ..

Thanks once again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I don't usually scare that easily but remember stupidly trying to drive home in 2014 during that storm. I actually feared for my life so am taking heed of warnings. Am hoping work (school in cork area) close but as if yet we are open. Grand for locals but I've an hour and half (on an average day) commute just to get there. Seriously considering ringing in if weather is as bad as expected especially if I can't guarantee getting home to The kids on time either
    Was away all day today so will be cleaning up the yard tomorrow- 're trampoline beyond sandbags to weigh the legs down what else can we Do? Remove side netting? We have it pegged down with straps as it is as we lost the last one in 2014.

Our trampoline was weighed down with eight sandbags before Storm Darwin. We found it 300 metres away. Two fields over.

Either dismantle it tomorrow.... or remove the side netting and flip it upside down (So the mat is touching the grass) and then weigh it down.

Out of curiosity is there many tower cranes up around the South coast areas
    Someone just reminded me of the one at waterford regional hosptal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

I'm not normally one to prepare I'm usual the sceptical one and the ah won't be that bad all the lads on the weather forum are mad :)
    But

Emm

Think il bring in the trampoline anything lose in the garden and check a few other bits this time

I'm working a 12 hour day shift 08.00 to 20.00 should be fun driving around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

Hi I work on pottery road Dunlaoire east coast -  have to travel from Sandymount Monday night not to far but don't want to chance it because live by the sea sandy mount / high tides /debris / fallen trees etc
    Or am I over reacting or will I take day off?
    Any info would be great,

Thanks great insight to weather information you all have taught me a lot ..

Thanks once again
    I would wait for updated information from Met Eireann / the emergency committee thing and then make contact with your boss. Right now, there isn't a clear picture of what severity different places will get. Most businesses are going to take a sensible approach with regard staff / opening hours if there is going to be disruption.

Probably worth noting that Dublin does have good infrastructure so is better placed to weather such a storm. Saying that, trees come down in Dublin as much as other places in  the country and could affect your journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

1) it's not a hurricane
    2) the wind speeds are over exaggerated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Feckoffcup wrote: »
    1) it's not a hurricane
    2) the wind speeds are over exaggerated

Link ?

Shall I quote this post on Tuesday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

I'm not normally one to prepare I'm usual the sceptical one and the ah won't be that bad all the lads on the weather forum are mad :)
    But

Emm

Think il bring in the trampoline anything lose in the garden and check a few other bits this time

I'm working a 12 hour day shift 08.00 to 20.00 should be fun driving around

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The comparison with previous storms that was posted at the end of the forecast was actually helpful, in that it put the potential for Monday into some sort of context. The previous event of similar magnitude was in 1961, so outside living memory for a significant percentage of the population, and many of those that can remember it would have been quite young, so not likely to remember the problems that it caused. Another very sobering thought which should not be ignored was that there were 18 lives lost in that event. The worry is that the population now is much more mobile than it was 60 years ago, and there is a much higher dependence on things like electricity that would have been the case. Both of these factors could mean a much more significant impact on day to day life this time round.

The 2014 storm by comparison was relatively mild in terms of wind strength, but it did a lot of damage to the ESB network, so we have no real pointer to how much damage could result from Monday's onslaught, and the reality is that the ESB network is a lot larger and more complex that it would have been in 1961, so the potential for significant problems would seem to me to be a lot higher.

My concern would be that if the response here is anything to go by, there are too many people that are not prepared to accept that a storm of this magnitude could actually hit Ireland, so they are not buying in to the warnings. That's probably not being helped by the historic snow threads that happen here every winter, and almost always result in a downgrade to nothing of significance (or worse) most of the time,

The reality is that the early warning that were given here are proving to be very much accurate advance warnings, and unlike the snow scenarios, if anything, the latest updates are showing an increase in the intensity, and a possibly even more damaging route further east, but even though we'd like them to, even now, no one can actually give us a more accurate track for this storm, or a more specific forecast of the wind strength that will eventually arrive.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

I'm a bit iffy about work too. My boyfriends parents give me a lift both in their sixties. Its 30 mins from my house. Through a town and then country roads for a couple of miles through a road fully lined by trees. An office that's a converted barn on a farm surrounded by trees.

Whatever about me but I may find another way because I cant ask them to drive through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mand0621

Booked on an 8am sailing from rosslare monday morning..chances of it happening slim/ none??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

mand0621 wrote: »
    Booked on an 8am sailing from rosslare monday morning..chances of it happening slim/ none??

Not a chance, best try to get onboard tomorrow if you are going to the UK, if its to France then I'd say tomorrow will nearly be cancelled too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Out of curiosity is there many tower cranes up around the South coast areas

This post IRMA in Miami recently:

104700821-GettyImages-845293936.530x298.jpg?v=1505061878

At the back of CUH over Wilton Road / Wilton Gardens is a massive crane at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭bnt

floorpie wrote: »
    Is this bad enough to not bother going into work in Dublin city on Monday? I presume I wont blow away but, how do the roads from the city typically cope after events like this? Floods, fallen trees...?
    I'm almost certainly going to go in (by LUAS), but will be watching the weather and may want to leave early. I wonder how many numbskulls will try using umbrellas in that ..? :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

IT Tralee is closed Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Doltanian wrote: »
    Not a chance, best try to get onboard tomorrow if you are going to the UK, if its to France then I'd say tomorrow will nearly be cancelled too.

Well if you're heading towards the north of this island you'll be in the UK, never mind sailing over to Britain ...

Wonder will it be as bad as 87'.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Tom123

I am meant to be flying aerlingus regional Monday morning at 9 and back again that evening at 6.
    Is it likely that these flights will be cancelled haven't seen anything on aerlingus website yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What'd be the best beach to go to on Monday to see some huge waves?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Tom123 wrote: »
    I am meant to be flying aerlingus regional Monday morning at 9 and back again that evening at 6.
    Is it likely that these flights will be cancelled haven't seen anything on aerlingus website yet?

Forget. About. It.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Forget. About. It.

Care to expand?

In my humble opinion, the early flight may be fine but the return will likely be canceled before you leave DUB in the morning.

For some reasonable certainty we must wait for the TAF to be issued tomorrow at 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

And the darwin award goes to...

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Care to expand?

In my humble opinion, the early flight may be fine but the return will likely be canceled before you leave DUB in the morning.

For some reasonable certainty we must wait for the TAF to be issued tomorrow at 6pm.

Exactly what you said. Return flight is almost certain to be cancelled especially as it is a regional flight.

Forget. About. It.

Do you mean the flights are likely to be cancelled?
    I probably won't fly in the morning if I can't get back in the evening.

Flight is to and from the Isle of Man. Looking at flightradar it seems to usually a ATR 42-300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

You're better off watching home and away from the comfort of your home on your tv instead of trying to see some beaches in real life.

Flight is to and from the Isle of Man. Looking at flightradar it seems to usually a ATR 42-300

I would be very surprised if the return flight isn't cancelled. However that is only my opinion so take it how you wish.

If you are going beach hunting stay well back and if possible up on a height that wont have debris flying. Freak waves are not so freak

I would be very surprised if the return flight isn't cancelled. However that is only my opinion so take it how you wish.

Thanks all advise much appreciated

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

With the way the forecast is shaping up, the flight from Dublin to the Isle of Man won't be able to get out of Dublin, and depending on the eventual forecast tomorrow, it may be "hiding" on the ground somewhere safe a long way from Dublin, as winds of the magnitude that are possible would be capable of destroying an ATR, as that speed is above the stalling speed of the aircraft, so it could be lifted off the ground by them. So, it's not even safe sitting on the ground in Dublin, so it could end up being moved to somewhere well away from the dangerous winds, which could well be somewhere in the South East of the UK.

If that happens, then the aircraft won't be in the right place to resume the schedule until some time after the wind drops back to safe levels at Dublin.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

So I'm fairly high in the wicklow mountains, is there any precautions I should take with the likes of sheds and windows. Would boarding up be a step to far.

Advertisement