Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stevenmartin99

Looks like Dublin Bus is getting ready to make an announcement about services tomorrow on their news page

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I have all the plywood i have now put up on site. Hopefully it will be enough to keep the roof on :eek:
    Dreading our brothers house, roof is on, slate is on, but there is no soffit and fascia, the house is mid-kerry region, the roof will be tested tomorrow and may bloody lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

listermint wrote: »
    Seems his employer needs some reality check

North Korea could launch a nuke in the morning headed for Ireland and his employer would still expect him in. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I work in a Government dept. and have just received a text to say our office is closed tomorrow. A bit late in the day, but at least it's one less thing to worry about.

My partner is still being expected to go into work, however. We're in Waterford.

Im in Waterford too and i got a text earlier saying to be prepared to work late tomorrow so we can look after our customers....... I work in Security Systems i didnt realise it was such an important area that id be expected to work in the midst of an ex hurricane 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Will met eireann correct the time that they have been giving out all day... They have been saying 6 am landfall all day, but surely that is the ast time?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not sure if it was already posted. Inchydoney have a beach cam, might be worth a look tomorrow: http://www.inchydoneyisland.com/en/beach-cam/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

that phrase sounds pretty meaningless to me. Do you think they're going to fire you?

I don't know what you're getting at or trying to achieve.

A lot of people face the same dilemma tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Are there any buoys or other equipment picking up wind speeds as it comes close?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Irish ferries have information updated on their web site.

Rosslare Pembroke will not be operating on Monday after arrival from Pembroke at 06:46

There is a doubt over the Ulysses sailing from Dublin to Holyhead on Monday Evening, with all Monday Swift Fast Ferry already cancelled.

Stena have a note of possible disruption on the Dublin Holyhead route, and bizarrely, there is nothing about the Rosslare Fishguard service at present,

Cherborg Dublin is leaving a hour early today to try and get into Dublin before the worst of the weather arrives,

08:05 Ulysses from Dublin to Holyhead cancelled. Can’t recall that ever happening before....

https://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/sailing-updates/dublin-holyhead/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What do you think it will be like in Bray? Im up in an attic room with slates that rattle in any strong wind, kind of worried now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

08:05 Ulysses from Dublin to Holyhead cancelled. Can’t recall that ever happening before....

https://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/sailing-updates/dublin-holyhead/

WHat🙄 has happened plenty of times

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The negligence in this thread and over the internet tonight is frightening. No one is saying this is our hurricane Katrina, but it’s a massive event. The lack of appreciation by some people is why fatalities are guaranteed now. Unprepared physically and mentally....

Thanks for the update Roy Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm assuming I've to go work. Heard nothing. Working in multinational just outside Cork city. Boyfriend has been told to work from home. I don't have that option!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    May be a silly question, but if Dublin does get 120km winds. Can you even walk in that or would you be blown easy in that speed of wind?

Eh, it would be like a truck hitting you. You'd be like a leaf!!!
    McCrack wrote: »
    People are really getting their knickers in a twist over this. Its not Armageddon we are facing.

It'll be scar-mageddon not being aware of the dangers of hurricane force winds!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

Lads I am working tomorrow, I work in retail, and have no option other than to walk to work tomorrow. Our shop is opening in the morning, how scared should I be about walking to work. Worst bit is Ill be walking over a bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Augme

All the Civil Service is starting to shut down now. It won't be long before Dublin Bus and all transport services follow on. Then private business will decide to close.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Pentecost wrote: »
    How long roughly will the really dangerous winds last when they arrive in any one spot? Three or four hours maybe? Or am I being overly optimistic?

Hard to know, yr.no aren't predicting the doomsday event and I tend to trust that site as I use it a lot for sailing.

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/hour_by_hour.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

VinLieger wrote: »
    The phrase "calm before the storm" doesn't come from nowhere

It is very calm out. Just light drizzle falling in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

spud82 wrote: »
    Lads I am working tomorrow, I work in retail, and have no option other than to walk to work tomorrow. Our shop is opening in the morning, how scared should I be about walking to work. Worst bit is Ill be walking over a bridge

Walking near trees is the danger. Branches that don't look that big can be heavy bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I'm assuming I've to go work. Heard nothing. Working in multinational just outside Cork city. Boyfriend has been told to work from home. I don't have that option!

take the day off

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

alta stare wrote: »
    Im in Waterford too and i got a text earlier saying to be prepared to work late tomorrow so we can look after our customers....... I work in Security Systems i didnt realise it was such an important area that id be expected to work in the midst of an ex hurricane ��

So not only do you have to brave the worst weather to hit the country in 60 years, but you're expected to work late too?? Some of these employers are on a different planet.

Stay safe out there tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

WHat🙄 has happened plenty of times

Has it? Apologies if true. My understanding was that Ulysses cancellations for weather were virtually unheard of....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Also expected to work tomorrow and assuming I'll have a 5km walk because DB are obviously gonna cancel buses.

I'm quite nervous about the walk because there are plenty of trees, main roads and slate roofs around the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why does everything nowadays get brought back to the homeless?
    Why is that the government's responsibility and not their own?

The issue with some/many/most homeless people is that there is a high prevalence of mental health issues and substance abuse. That doesn't make the problem right, but it does limit what any government can do in a proactive way to fix it (it's basically a problem that cannot ever be eradicated to zero).

The 3 Little Piggies cafe in Cork is closed for business tomorrow, but they are opening their doors to any homeless person who wants to take shelter through the worst of the storm, and will give them food and tea while they are there, which is a very commendable thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

listermint wrote: »
    Seems his employer needs some reality check

Unfortunately if you look exclusively at non-web sources, it only got quite serious in orange areas at about 8pm when it was upgraded to red. If you hear orange warning, dublin busses all running, etc, you might think as a manager/owner that closing a business is overreacting. Straight after the 9 o'clock news I heard my 3 elderly neighbours clearing their garden of furniture, they obviously thought nothing of it until the late announcement.

I got the all :rolleyes: from the missus this morning when buying batteries, charging backup batteries, and telling her to cancel a trip from Dublin to Drogheda tomorrow at 3pm, mostly from just reading this forum.

Yes there'll still be employers out there that'll force employees in, in non-essential roles, but the warnings of how serious this is were quite late to the anyone offline, which can be a lot of people on a sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

alta stare wrote: »
    Im in Waterford too and i got a text earlier saying to be prepared to work late tomorrow so we can look after our customers....... I work in Security Systems i didnt realise it was such an important area that id be expected to work in the midst of an ex hurricane ��

I suppose there will be alarm systems going off in a lot of places. Just like ESB, Irish Water, local authorities, you provide an essential service that will require maintenance and repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

take the day off m8

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Just saw that TEST thing on RTE on twitter, Christ that's like something out of a horror movie.

link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

Cienciano wrote: »
    Walking near trees is the danger. Branches that don't look that big can be heavy bastards.

Luckily there is no trees on the way to work. I think I'll run for it, Im actually scared lads if it's as bad as it is I will be blown away

Advertisement