Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Are there any buoys or other equipment picking up wind speeds as it comes close?

http://www.marine.ie/Home/site-area/data-services/real-time-observations/irish-weather-buoy-network

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

take the day off m8

I can't :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Danbo! wrote: »
    Unfortunately if you look exclusively at non-web sources, it only got quite serious in orange areas at about 8pm when it was upgraded to red. If you hear orange warning, dublin busses all running, etc, you might think as a manager/owner that closing a business is overreacting. Straight after the 9 o'clock news I heard my 3 elderly neighbours clearing their garden of furniture, they obviously thought nothing of it until the late announcement.

I got the all :rolleyes: from the missus this morning when buying batteries, charging backup batteries, and telling her to cancel a trip from Dublin to Drogheda tomorrow at 3pm, mostly from just reading this forum.

Yes there'll still be employers out there that'll force employees in, in non-essential roles, but the warnings of how serious this is were quite late to the anyone offline, which can be a lot of people on a sunday.

I know all that. I reality checked my employers. This has since turned into full office closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The issue with some/many/most homeless people is that there is a high prevalence of mental health issues and substance abuse. That doesn't make the problem right, but it does limit what any government can do in a proactive way to fix it (it's basically a problem that cannot ever be eradicated to zero).

The 3 Little Piggies cafe in Cork is closed for business tomorrow, but they are opening their doors to any homeless person who wants to take shelter through the worst of the storm, and will give them food and tea while they are there, which is a very commendable thing to do.

There is probably someone somewhere on the internet who works for the Three Little Piggies Cafe who is complaining about being forced to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

The aul lad and the sister are still planning on going to work tomorrow. No word from management and everyone else they've talked to are planning on doing the same. So much confusion. Without the DART / Dublin Bus / LUAS being cancelled, employers (the not so good ones) will expect staff to turn up as normal. "Sure if a bus driver can drive in that weather, you can come into an office to work"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Guys, the suggestions to people to just not go into work isn't helpful.

We can't all work from home, we can't all just not show up to work and expect to keep our jobs. Calling in sick won't work when it's obviously a lie and no illness is involved.

Obviously our health and safety is far more important than a job, but people are concerned about their financial situation and paying the bills too, and they don't all have the luxury of just not going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

So not only do you have to brave the worst weather to hit the country in 60 years, but you're expected to work late too?? Some of these employers are on a different planet.

Stay safe out there tomorrow.

Yep and tbh i find the very notion hilarious as i most certainly wont be working late in that kind of weather. As it stands id guess the electricity will be off anyway so there wouldnt be much i could do. Tuesday will be manic tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

Not looking forward to tomorrow. Have to get to other side of Dublin and office building is over 200 years old. If DB stops im gonna have to pray the luas does not go down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

spud82 wrote: »
    Lads I am working tomorrow, I work in retail, and have no option other than to walk to work tomorrow. Our shop is opening in the morning, how scared should I be about walking to work. Worst bit is Ill be walking over a bridge

Be very careful. I'm in Cork,remember a strong storm a few years ago,it lifted a slate off a roof which hit a lad on the footpath below and killed him.all around cities and towns are uninspected roofs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So not only do you have to brave the worst weather to hit the country in 60 years, but you're expected to work late too?? Some of these employers are on a different planet.

Stay safe out there tomorrow.

He wouldn't want to work for the ESB or the Fire Service, they are expecting their employers to work very hard tomorrow and in some cases do extra shifts. Are they on a different planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

roddy15 wrote: »
    For anyone still asking about the extent of it and or doubting the collective brain power of simulations and meteorologists I suggest you take the time to watch this update on the hurricane:

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/weather-30003847/10789908/

Holy crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Steve wrote: »
    Hard to know, yr.no aren't predicting the doomsday event and I tend to trust that site as I use it a lot for sailing.

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/hour_by_hour.html

Yes that is why I'm a bit taken aback by all the panic.

Most wind speeds on the likes of above - are a very strong windy day - not end of world close everything Irish event.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The adventure centre behind Woodies in Tallaght are opening to take in the homeless off the streets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I've a 20 minute walk into work in Dublin - not looking forward walking home possibly at height off the storm. It's bin collection day in my area as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Rumour has it Rte’s Teresa mannion has rang in sick tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

Guys, the suggestions to people to just not go into work isn't helpful.

We can't all work from home, we can't all just not show up to work and expect to keep our jobs. Calling in sick won't work when it's obviously a lie and no illness is involved.

Obviously our health and safety is far more important than a job, but people are concerned about their financial situation and paying the bills too, and they don't all have the luxury of just not going in.

if your employer has that little regard for your safety than i'd keep an eye out for a new job. Noone is going to be fired for not coming in during a hurricane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Considering the times it hits dublim, Dublin Bus might not cancel till later in the day leaving people stranded

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dropzone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I was contemplating doing a half day as that is all I have left in holidays for the year but with HSE, schools and the courts out of action I have to reconsider.

My brother got a message not to come in, I heard nothing about my job. I don't want to get trapped in Dublin if the trains stop running.

It is one of those rare events they need to take account of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

@Education_NI has announced that all schools should close tomorrow (Monday 16 October) as precautionary measure in light of weather warnings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The adventure centre behind Woodies in Tallaght are opening to take in the homeless off the streets

That’s great to hear. That deserves a thread to make people aware

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

blanch152 wrote: »
    I suppose there will be alarm systems going off in a lot of places. Just like ESB, Irish Water, local authorities, you provide an essential service that will require maintenance and repair.

So you think its ok to work on an alarm during a storm???? Its not exactly essential to be fair. Plus the power will more than likely be off so i couldnt do much. Tuesday on the other hand will be flat out for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

jk23 wrote: »

I doubt many homeless are browsing boards.ie at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

jk23 wrote: »

I believe its up on Facebook and people out letting them know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Mrself wrote: »
    What about jury duty?

Apparently all Court sittings are now cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The Public Appointments Service will be closed tomorrow if anyone was due in for interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Even if Dublin Bus offers services in the morning, after 11am they will have to stop running. Vast majority of their vehicles are double deckers. It becomes a safety issue in gusting winds up to 110kph. Even with regular coach services they're also classed as high sided vehicles. I'm expecting most to be cancelled for a portion of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

blanch152 wrote: »
    He wouldn't want to work for the ESB or the Fire Service, they are expecting their employers to work very hard tomorrow and in some cases do extra shifts. Are they on a different planet?

Obviously not.

I'm talking about non essential work, but I'd say you know that and are just being obtuse for the sake of it.

Advertisement