Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

I have a 20 minute tomorrow, and it includes walking over a bridge I am actually starting to get scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

alta stare wrote: »
    So you think its ok to work on an alarm during a storm???? Its not exactly essential to be fair. Plus the power will more than likely be off so i couldnt do much. Tuesday on the other hand will be flat out for us.

Your employer said you will be working late - the storm may well have passed by then and the repair work will need to start. Having you on standby at work to start repairs sounds like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The adventure centre behind Woodies in Tallaght are opening to take in the homeless off the streets

Fair play to them and as being in the situation of being homeless but at least having a roof over our heads I applaud everyone involved in making this happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Rubbish bin collection cancelled for Monday here in north Cork. Eerily quiet out There, not a puff and a heavy mist like something from a Stephen King novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I live about 6 stories off the ground, one side of the building is entirely exposed. Anything to worry about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Sister works in Social Protection office in Waterford and was told to stay at home tomorrow - presumably majority of public admin services are doing likewise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Cienciano wrote: »
    Considering the times it hits dublim, Dublin Bus might not cancel till later in the day leaving people stranded

That's the big risk. They'll get into work fine but get stranded later with no means of getting home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

@Education_NI has announced that all schools should close tomorrow (Monday 16 October) as precautionary measure in light of weather warnings
    Yep, they should do. Waiting to see if any notification comes through now that my daughter's school definitely is closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Not a wind-up (as someone suggested) if multiple power-lines go down could be 8-12hrs before power is fully restored, it gets dark early now in October.

Anyone traveling between the (coastal routes) including the more densely populated Eastern areas (Cork, right up along to the exposed Louth M1) can expect to see some up-turned high sided vehicles at peak time (Lunch in the SE, and into 5pm rush hour in the NE) and thus possibly a few hours stuck in busy traffic. Elevated and exposed SE facing positions can expect to see <+30% increase of Gusts coming in, off the Irish Sea.

A basic emergency supply kit could include the following recommended items:

• Water - one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation, store in fridge.
    • Food - at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
    • Battery-powered or hand crank radio.
    • Flashlight - led bulbs are ideal should last 8hrs on lowest setting.
    • First aid kit - someone’s bound to get poked in the eye with a (flying) umbrella
    • Extra batteries, flasks (hot/cold) water bottles, food bar snacks if traveling is necessary.
    • Set fridge to coolest setting, in case of outage. Add ice pack to freezer compartment.
    • Whistle to signal for help - there’s no point shouting in a storm, you wont be heard.
    • Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
    • Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
    • Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities, emergency utility phone numbers handy.
    • Manual can opener for food - enjoy them beans!
    • Local maps - if not in usual location. Don’t travel during peak storm, but if needed, have reflective clothing.
    • Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery (mobile broadband services may be affected)
    • PMR walkie talkies may be handy if cell-towers drop for communicating with any nearby relatives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

just recieved word I have to go into work in the morning nice and early (7am) in a leisure centre. will be like a ghost town as people will probably be following advice and staying at home if possible and the schools that should be in for lessons wont be :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Cianos wrote: »
    I live about 6 stories off the ground, one side of the building is entirely exposed. Anything to worry about?

No, Engineers design for wind loading and apply a factor of safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

siobhan08 wrote: »
    just recieved word I have to go into work in the morning nice and early (7am) in a leisure centre. will be like a ghost town as people will probably be following advice and staying at home if possible and the schools that should be in for lessons wont be :mad::mad::mad:

That's absolutely nuts. Some people are so clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 44 masterbenji08

Augme wrote: »
    All the Civil Service is starting to shut down now. It won't be long before Dublin Bus and all transport services follow on. Then private business will decide to close.

How do you know civil service is shutting down? I haven't heard anything yet.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cianos wrote: »

Exactly the same here.

Be grand, it'll sound really blustery and probably sound worse than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Pangea wrote: »
    Will hospital appointments go ahead tomorrow?

Part quote from The Irish Times -
    HSE: All hospital outpatient appointments are being cancelled on Monday. Consequently, the HSE said in a statement, patients do not need to attend or contact the hospital and they will be rescheduled as soon as possible.

Patients who are scheduled to have a planned procedure can contact the hospital in the morning to confirm if their procedure is going ahead.

In order to minimise unnecessary travel risks for patients, only urgent procedures will take place on Monday.

Only essential community services will operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

blanch152 wrote: »
    Your employer said you will be working late - the storm may well have passed by then and the repair work will need to start. Having you on standby at work to start repairs sounds like a good idea.

I doubt the ESB will have power restored so quickly and i couldnt do much without power so that may solve that problem. And anyway Iv no problem working late as long as it is safe to do so but working in the dark in wind and rain is not going to be done by me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sister works in Social Protection office in Waterford and was told to stay at home tomorrow - presumably majority of public admin services are doing likewise?

No word for me yet. Working in GISC in Castlebar at 8am. Presume it's business as usual. I don't mind that so much just the drive to and from takes me 50 mins.
    Really dunno what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Madness, the country will be pretty much closed down tomorrow, some employers are obviously not grasping the full magnitude of this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

spud82 wrote: »
    I have a 20 minute tomorrow, and it includes walking over a bridge I am actually starting to get scared.

All warnings have been saying that it is not safe to go walking. Deaths of pedestrians are expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just realised we'll see if all the cranes that have sprang up lately have been secured properly tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Fcuking idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Interesting take on Ophelia here. The religious nutter angel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjCrQOUke_s

A selection of the comments liked by the channel itself

"I’m dancing in my boots!!&#55357;&#56418; can’t wait to hear about the pink cavebeast devastation!! Come on Ophelia, come on!!!

"Hoping it's Karma on these pink skins. Peace & Blessings"

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

Stupid question but does anyone know what time the hurricane hits Limerick tomorrow?

Necrominus wrote: »
    No word for me yet. Working in GISC in Castlebar at 8am. Presume it's business as usual. I don't mind that so much just the drive to and from takes me 50 mins.
    Really dunno what to do

Stay at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Not a wind-up (as someone suggested) if multiple power-lines go down could be 8-12hrs before power is fully restored, it gets dark early now in October.

Anyone traveling between the (coastal routes) including the more densely populated Eastern areas (Cork, right up along to the exposed Louth M1) can expect to see some up-turned high sided vehicles at peak time (Lunch in the SE, and into 5pm rush hour in the NE) and thus possibly a few hours stuck in busy traffic. Elevated and exposed SE facing positions can expect to see <+30% increase of Gusts coming in, off the Irish Sea.

A basic emergency supply kit could include the following recommended items:

• Water - one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation, store in fridge.
    • Food - at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
    • Battery-powered or hand crank radio.
    • Flashlight - led bulbs are ideal should last 8hrs on lowest setting.
    • First aid kit - someone’s bound to get poked in the eye with a (flying) umbrella
    • Extra batteries, flasks (hot/cold) water bottles, food bar snacks if traveling is necessary.
    • Set fridge to coolest setting, in case of outage. Add ice pack to freezer compartment.
    • Whistle to signal for help - there’s no point shouting in a storm, you wont be heard.
    • Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
    • Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
    • Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities, emergency utility phone numbers handy.
    • Manual can opener for food - enjoy them beans!
    • Local maps - if not in usual location. Don’t travel during peak storm, but if needed, have reflective clothing.
    • Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery (mobile broadband services may be affected)
    • PMR walkie talkies may be handy if cell-towers drop for communicating with any nearby relatives.

It's a tropical storm not a nuclear holocaust :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

How do you know civil service is shutting down? I haven't heard anything yet.

This seems to have the most up to date info:
    https://twitter.com/merrionstreet

I haven't heard anything from my department yet (in Dublin) but I've already decided I'm not going in, it's not worth the risk.

spud82 wrote: »
    Stupid question but does anyone know what time the hurricane hits Limerick tomorrow?

Exactly no, some time between 6am and 10am, strong winds starting from 2am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I work in Revenue..just told not to come in tomorrow

Advertisement