Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

I am no weather expert. So can someone put it in laymans terms. What are the indications? Is the East going to have severe hurricane level winds. How about the midlands? Whats the story with the West? As I understand it the eye of the storm will pass up the west coast. Will that mean the most significant winds will be close to the eye? Then the west side of Ophelia has the strongest winds. So is it more the midlands, Dublin that will be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

love_love wrote: »
    Some civil service info (from personal sources):

PeoplePoint closed
    OGP in 3 Spencer Dock told not to attend (C&AG and OGCIO are also in same building, would imagine same advice would apply)
    15 Lower Hatch Street which houses DFAT & Ombudsman for Defence also closed

I'm in PeoplePoint and I've heard nothing official. However one of my mates works in the same building and was told all of ucd was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Feckoffcup wrote: »
    Such an over reaction, worst thing that will happen is power outages and some minor building damages.

Yup and neither of those could lead to people being injured or worse if they were close to it happening.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Skid X wrote: »
    Bus Eireann out until at least 2pm nationwide

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/919681074376200193

2pm? The storm will only be getting going in some parts at that time. Maybe they're reading the American NHC charts and not adding on the 5 hours :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I'm starting a new job tomorrow I'm Dublin City centre. I've decided I'm not going in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, I'll be having some serious **** to say in work after this.

I will be outlining my utter disgrace for the organisation both in my exit interview and in an email to senior management on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Tipperary and Waterford library services closed tomorrow. Just in case anyone has an uncontrollable desire to return / borrow a book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Fair play to them and as being in the situation of being homeless but at least having a roof over our heads I applaud everyone involved in making this happen.

I have a message here from Tallaght Adventure World in Whitestown Industrial estate. As above, they are opening to allow any rough sleepers a safe place for the night.

They are appealing to pass the word and would gratefully appreciate any Sleeping bags or bedding.

GO DERMOT !!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The Department of Communications is preparing the emergency broadcast system for possible use. Details have been circulated to all local radio stations.

https://twitter.com/RadioTodayIE/status/919679485527683072

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

North Korea could launch a nuke in the morning headed for Ireland and his employer would still expect him in. :rolleyes:

Also in Waterford, I think we may work together! Sounds very familiar anyway, I have already told work I won't be in though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Feckoffcup wrote: »
    Such an over reaction, worst thing that will happen is power outages and some minor building damages.

Safe than sorry..

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

I'm in PeoplePoint..can I ask where you heard they are closed

Will PM you but for other people's information, I saw a screenshot of a text from the AP who is in charge of health and safety. Promise you it's real info, it's probably just making the rounds still and people are letting others know.

Edit: Just so people know, I'm not gonna stick around on here much longer since I've heard from my own department not to come in (was only hanging around online to see if there was any info!) but take it from me that my info is real, and also that you shouldn't be risking going to work anyway sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

lawred2 wrote: »
    Your boss is a self important tool. It's a fu;king leisure centre...

i wish they would sense. like who is going to want to go for a swim or a gym session when the entire country in under a red weather warning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Good to see Tesco keeping their Twitter updated as regards store openings tomorrow. Dunnes not manning their Twitter for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

take the day off

Got a text from work confirming the office will closed and we are all to stay at home. Delighted!

Means I could have stayed in Killarney at my Mother's for the night. Ah well sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I am no weather expert. So can someone put it in laymans terms. What are the indications? Is the East going to have severe hurricane level winds. How about the midlands? Whats the story with the West? As I understand it the eye of the storm will pass up the west coast. Will that mean the most significant winds will be close to the eye? Then the west side of Ophelia has the strongest winds. So is it more the midlands, Dublin that will be affected.

See MT's excellent forecast here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

dept education head offices dublin athlone tullamore shut.staff being told.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

siobhan08 wrote: »
    i wish they would sense. like who is going to want to go for a swim or a gym session when the entire country in under a red weather warning

I presume it's more for the hotel guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭natty_asha

CRO closed tomorrow (Carlow), just got a text from my manager. I'm assuming WRC closed too since they are in same building.

Most of my friends and family have now been contacted by their employers and told to stay home. No word from mine so I texted my boss and offered to work from home, which was fine. Even if I couldn't do that, I wouldn't be going in. Your life is more important than a job, though it is a really horrible and unfair situation when an employer expects you to travel in a hurricane. I'd say the vast majority of workplaces will have decided to close by morning.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

2244hrs update from Met Eireann

RED STATUS WARNING IN EFFECT. Tomorrow Monday will be very stormy as Ex-Hurricane Ophelia, tracks northeastwards over the country. Violent and destructive gusts are expected with all areas at risk - especially the south during the morning, and the midlands and east in the afternoon. Moreover, heavy rain and storm surges may cause flooding, especially near coasts of the south and east. There is potential risk to lives and property. Highest temperatures 15 to 18 degrees.

Love this bit at the end, as if anyone is going to give a damn how hot it is. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I don't suppose anybody knows if these are the kinds of winds that can do severe damage to a concrete home ? I have three young kids and have already identified the downstairs toilet (no windows, middle of house) as the "safezone" if it gets really bad. But I don't understand how bad these forecasts are suggesting. Now that theres a nationwide warning, are we talking "you should be safe indoors, including near windows" or literally "stay away from the windows for the few hours while the worst is passing"?

Also, my wife suggested we close the curtains in case debrit comes through it, I think its a decent suggestion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

I think we need to spare a thought for the emergency service staff who have no option but to go to work tomorrow. My wife is a nurse and her thoughts are that if i don't go in i cant help. Personally i don't think it will be that bad, but what ever happens people will need to help people tomorrow.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I'm in PeoplePoint and I've heard nothing official. However one of my mates works in the same building and was told all of ucd was closed.
    Not sure where people point is but yes ucd sent out a hr college wid closure notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Bus Éireann cancel all services nationwide from 0500 to 1400 on Monday, October 16.Situation will be reviewed and some services may resume in the afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

McDonalds closing all drive-thrus tomorrow

Eat in restaurant only

May affect someone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Cianos wrote: »
    Good to see Tesco keeping their Twitter updated as regards store openings tomorrow. Dunnes not manning their Twitter for the weekend.
    I presumed it would be about their stores being closed but no!! They're expecting staff to come in. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Augme

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Every non-essential Public Service building in Dublin will be closed tomorrow. PeoplePoint will be as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

awec wrote: »
    Love this bit at the end, as if anyone is going to give a damn how hot it is. :pac:

Would effect livestock if inside as a greater risk of pneumonia etc. Going to leave mine out and give them as much shelter as possiblr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

awec wrote: »

If anything it will be nice to have a warm violent wind then an icy violent wind ;)

Advertisement