Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Tipperary and Waterford library services closed tomorrow. Just in case anyone has an uncontrollable desire to return / borrow a book

Damn it I was going to finally return a book I borrowed 5 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Damn it I was going to finally return a book I borrowed 5 years ago

Poor show from the state shutting down essential services like that. Typical civil servants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Drumpot wrote: »
    I don't suppose anybody knows if these are the kinds of winds that can do severe damage to a concrete home ? I have three young kids and have already identified the downstairs toilet (no windows, middle of house) as the "safezone" if it gets really bad. But I don't understand how bad these forecasts are suggesting. Now that theres a nationwide warning, are we talking "you should be safe indoors, including near windows" or literally "stay away from the windows for the few hours while the worst is passing"?

Also, my wife suggested we close the curtains in case debrit comes through it, I think its a decent suggestion!

Houses in Ireland are made of brick and concrete. Not like the sticks and slab houses in the Us we see ruined in storms. You will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Cancellations coming thick and fast now.
    No buses no post

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't suppose anybody knows if these are the kinds of winds that can do severe damage to a concrete home ? I have three young kids and have already identified the downstairs toilet (no windows, middle of house) as the "safezone" if it gets really bad. But I don't understand how bad these forecasts are suggesting. Now that theres a nationwide warning, are we talking "you should be safe indoors, including near windows" or literally "stay away from the windows for the few hours while the worst is passing"?

Also, my wife suggested we close the curtains in case debrit comes through it, I think its a decent suggestion!

Category 1 hurricane = no real threat to properly built structures. A tree might come down and land on your house if it's right beside the house but you aren't going to see trees flying through the air. Debris could hit your house if you're really unlucky and you might lose a few roof tiles but that's about it.

The danger that is being talked about so much is for people outside. Obviously falling trees and flying debris poses hazards to people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Most of my friends and family have now been contacted by their employers and told to stay home. No word from mine so I texted my boss and offered to work from home, which was fine. Even if I couldn't do that, I wouldn't be going in. Your life is more important than a job, though it is a really horrible and unfair situation when an employer expects you to travel in a hurricane. I'd say the vast majority of workplaces will have decided to close by morning.
    Well the place I'm working for would expect you to come in with two broken legs. They have said if you don't come in you'll be reported to HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

All well and good to say "stay at home" (which I will) but does anyone know how this is handled for salaried employees? Take a fake sick day? Unpaid leave? Act of God :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Was told I have to go to work tomorrow.

Don't want to go and leave my dogs home alone even though they will be inside, won't make either of our day any easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

All Non Essientiall Public Service Buildings are closing. Private sector needs to take heed and do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is this going to be worse than storm Darwin??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MeasuredInTons

Working for Justice dept., all offices closed tomorrow (except emergency services).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

mikeysmith wrote: »
    McDonalds closing all drive-thrus tomorrow

Eat in restaurant only

May affect someone

I love that logic from McDonalds

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

mikeysmith wrote: »
    McDonalds closing all drive-thrus tomorrow

Eat in restaurant only

May affect someone

ffs I wanted to get a big mac tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Just walked around the house, Kerry. Only a deathly silence. Not an animal to be heard

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Working for Justice dept., all offices closed tomorrow (except emergency services).

:( Guess that means GISC is open

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

McD's wrote:
    Eat in restaurant only

i guess you will have to exit your vehicle and walk into the restaurant. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Some charts have been showing severe risks to the SE. Particularly relevant as the:

i) Timing (5pm rush-hour) and,
    ii) Population density, thereby increases actual incident risk.

This 17:00 Mon chart is MaxGust (what will do the most damage, as opposed to lower but more sustained wind), all it takes is one unlucky 140-150kph (light pink areas) guest to do some real damage. If you're facing South, exposed and up over 100m elevation, perhaps even more speed/damage.

-maxguest-eve-140-150.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

get them to deliver it :)

200motels wrote: »
    Well the place I'm working for would expect you to come in with two broken legs. They have said if you don't come in you'll be reported to HR.

That's appaling. I can't see how they can get away with that to be honest, when all the advise is to stay indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Also, my wife suggested we close the curtains in case debris comes through it, I think its a decent suggestion!
    Its not a tornado.
    Its going to be a stormy day, but for most it's not going to be day after tomorrow stuff, I really think the red warning countrywide was overkill especially for Dublin. Anyhow, stay safe but don't panic , i've a feeling this may be a bit of a non event in Dublin.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

All Non Essientiall Public Service Buildings are closing. Private sector needs to take heed and do the same.

Just for Dublin so far, open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No buses no post

An Post‏ @Postvox 31m31 minutes ago
    More
    Mails Services in counties Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Galway, Clare and Limerick suspended

seems only in the original red counties..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I had to do 2 hour of bus journeys today to get my work laptop get to one side of the city to the other I didn't mind at all played some video games on the bus.

So work from home tommarow for me.

Girlfirend thinks she is off as her office cantain and cleaning staff are told not to come in and people have started getting calls now.

So work in a onesie in bed tommarow how bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,054 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No buses no post
    No woman no cry

Looking like it's drifting west though.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

200motels wrote: »
    Most of my friends and family have now been contacted by their employers and told to stay home. No word from mine so I texted my boss and offered to work from home, which was fine. Even if I couldn't do that, I wouldn't be going in. Your life is more important than a job, though it is a really horrible and unfair situation when an employer expects you to travel in a hurricane. I'd say the vast majority of workplaces will have decided to close by morning.

i'd report them anonymously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

newman10 wrote: »
    Just walked around the house, Kerry. Only a deathly silence. Not an animal to be heard

Same here, no breeze no noise no nothing, quite eerie.

On Kenmare Bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just got word from my Secretary General.
    All government departments to remain closed tomorrow unless absolutely critical.
    Stay safe people. This is a hurricane in all but name.
    Jet stream is pushing the winds even though it's an ex-hurricane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Interesting take on Ophelia here. The religious nutter angel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjCrQOUke_s

A selection of the comments liked by the channel itself

"I’m dancing in my boots!!�� can’t wait to hear about the pink cavebeast devastation!! Come on Ophelia, come on!!!

"Hoping it's Karma on these pink skins. Peace & Blessings"

Like this nutter better. Has some interest points of view to say the least!!

His confusion about steam and precipitation is really mind numbingly amazing like he ate a big block of ice scream in 1 second flat. Must have missed that part of school.

Mind blown!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

That's appaling. I can't see how they can get away with that to be honest, when all the advise is to stay indoors.
    It is appalling but if it's too bad I just won't be going in and I'll deal with HR on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Supercell wrote: »
    Its not a tornado.
    Its going to be a stormy day, but for most it's not going to be day after tomorrow stuff, I really think the red warning countrywide was overkill especially for Dublin. Anyhow, stay safe but don't panic , i've a feeling this may be a bit of a non event in Dublin.

Nope due to the cyclonic nature where the wind is going to sweep around anti clockwise from the south east coast, dublin will be hit quite hard, more so than the midlands.

Its not going to be Irma, but windows will be broken by debris and trees will be downed, power will be out in many places, it will not be safe outside

Advertisement