Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Xenji wrote: »
    Just for Dublin so far, open to correction though.

Where's this being reported can I ask?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

An Post‏ @Postvox 31m31 minutes ago
    More
    Mails Services in counties Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Galway, Clare and Limerick suspended

seems only in the original red counties..

Not suspended in Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Contacted my boss a few hours ago to see what the story was. Was told that the plant was operating tomorrow.
    I let him know that I'd be making a judgement call on whether to go into work in the morning. If something doesn't change drastically in the next few hours (which basically isn't going to happen), I think I'll be staying indoors. I've only got a 15 minute drive to work but a lot can happen in that time. I live about 5 miles from the coast in Waterford so it could get pretty hairy!

I think it would be a responsible course of action to instruct people not to come to work between 06:00 and 18:00, personally. 12 hours' production lost is not such a big deal when compared to a potential loss of life or serious injury. With 500-600 people travelling during that period, that's a big risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If your house roof starts to lift, open windows on the leeward side of the house, this will help keep the roof from lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Flying Fox wrote: »
    That's appaling. I can't see how they can get away with that to be honest, when all the advise is to stay indoors.

Work IS indoors. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

fryup wrote: »
    is this going to be worse than storm Darwin??

By an order of magnitude and for the nationwide impact. This event will probably reset all the record books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

200motels wrote: »
    Well the place I'm working for would expect you to come in with two broken legs. They have said if you don't come in you'll be reported to HR.

Surely not?! What company has said that you have to come in or you will be reported to HR? If they have said that then it is nothing to hide.

gaius c wrote: »

But you have to go outdoors to get to it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Cianos wrote:
    Good to see Tesco keeping their Twitter updated as regards store openings tomorrow. Dunnes not manning their Twitter for the weekend.

You're easily impressed. It's not much of an update.

Tesco stores will be open tomorrow unless local conditions permit otherwise. Please check with your local store before travelling. #Ophelia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

TV3 at the moment

c85f800e0f2a411aa571db03f04e8922.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Drumpot wrote: »
    I don't suppose anybody knows if these are the kinds of winds that can do severe damage to a concrete home ? I have three young kids and have already identified the downstairs toilet (no windows, middle of house) as the "safezone" if it gets really bad. But I don't understand how bad these forecasts are suggesting. Now that theres a nationwide warning, are we talking "you should be safe indoors, including near windows" or literally "stay away from the windows for the few hours while the worst is passing"?

Also, my wife suggested we close the curtains in case debrit comes through it, I think its a decent suggestion!

As long as you have wifi you will be grand

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Pudsy33 wrote:

Dept. of Justice have tweeted that all offices are to remain closed tomorrow. Still have no idea if that includes my place of work where we input info on Pulse for the Gardai... I would like to think it's non essential tomorrow but have no clue whether it's considered that way or not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Cianos wrote:
    Good to see Tesco keeping their Twitter updated as regards store openings tomorrow. Dunnes not manning their Twitter for the weekend.

Tesco stores will be open tomorrow unless local conditions permit otherwise. Please check with your local store before travelling. #Ophelia

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Dead calm in Athlone, spits of rain, took the basketball net down and cleared up all garden furniture, hopefully all for nothing

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Pudsy33 wrote:

Dept. of Justice have tweeted that all offices are to remain closed tomorrow. Still have no idea if that includes my place of work where we input info on Pulse for the Gardai... I would like to think it's non essential tomorrow but have no clue whether it's considered that way or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

gaius c wrote: »
    It is but getting there will be the problem as I start at 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

siobhan08 wrote: »
    just recieved word I have to go into work in the morning nice and early (7am) in a leisure centre. will be like a ghost town as people will probably be following advice and staying at home if possible and the schools that should be in for lessons wont be :mad::mad::mad:

elib_266456.jpg

Is that your boss per chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

So.. The calm before the storm! Hows evry1 doin? I think iv everything sorted. Did a good bulk of prepping ystrdy, but aloada extra things came up which added to the load then all my family went AWOL so Id alot to do on my own. My auld pair was still dismissing it as just sum wind up until they saw the 6 news. Then a ton of ppl on FB quoting Treasa Mannion allday.

Not too sound OTT but the reaction earlier was kinda shocking, like a hurricane is on route + like the buses are stll running but school buses arent. Surely sumthing of this magnatude would be given abit of leeway, I mean like calling a national red alert from the beginning. Im from east Galway near the
    Roscommon side, Im in red zone, 5miles down the road isnt. I know its abit simplistic that way but its very worrying the delayed reaction. Also, not to start a rant but any word from the Gov? Will Michael D. address the nation?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Xenji wrote: »
    Just for Dublin so far, open to correction though.

Where is that reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I wonder should the government order all non essential business to close?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Pudsy33 wrote: »

It was on the Merrion Street twitter page, it has been removed now so maybe they jumped the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Mr.S wrote: »
    A pathetic threat, nothing will come of it.

HR will not do anything given all the weather warnings nation wide and the advice to not travel unless really needed.

Use common sense in the morning, if the red warnings are still in place and you have a commute to make, stay at home worry free.
    I'm going to do that as I have a 20 min journey and anything can happen in that time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well the place I'm working for would expect you to come in with two broken legs. They have said if you don't come in you'll be reported to HR.

Would have thought same with ours but we've been told to work from home / if possible I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have been reading the other weather thread earlier today in relation to the weather patterns of tomorrow's storm. I just want to say that whoever you are and from whatever part of the country you live in right now; Please stay safe by keeping yourselves and pets indoors and please be careful during this storm.

Just another update abut the emergency broadcast system from the BAI on RTÉ ONE.

It says "RED WEATHER ALERT IS IN FORCE FOR TOMORROW!".

Update from Irish Rail in relation to rail services for Tomorrow.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news/ophelia
    Weather Watch: Hurricane Ophelia

15 October 2017

Monday 16th October: Speed restrictions for morning services in place Charleville to Tralee/Cork; Kilkenny to Waterford; Gorey to Rosslare - delays to Intercity services

UPDATE 22:00hrs, Sunday 15th October

The following rail service arrangements are in place tomorrow morning Monday 16th October due to the weather warnings in place for Hurricane Ophelia.

All DART, Intercity and Commuter services are expected to operate in the morning except on the following routes:

Limerick Junction to Waterford
    Limerick to Ballybrophy via Nenagh
    A speed restriction of 80kph (50mph) will be in place on the following routes:

Tralee to Mallow
    Cork to Charleville
    Cork to Cobh/Midleton
    Waterford to Kilkenny
    Rosslare Europort to Gorey
    As a result delays of 15 to 30 minutes are expected to services operating on the following routes for morning services:

Cork to Dublin
    Tralee to Cork/Dublin
    Waterford to Dublin
    Rosslare Europort to Dublin
    Line maintenance teams will be monitoring the network throughout the weather warnings associated to address any impacts from Hurricane Ophelia, and will take all measures necessary throughout the day to ensure the safety of rail services, including:

Removing trees or other debris from lines
    Managing the safe operation of level crossings
    Imposing further speed restrictions as necessary as the storm progresses
    Line closures if it is considered unsafe to continue operating services
    This page will be updated with any changes to service arrangements which arise, as will our twitter page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

nc6000 wrote: »

At least it's something. I imagine they'll be updating it if/when the status of particular stores change. If the storm was today that'd be particularly relevant to a lot of people so it's good to see they're providing some coverage over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Flying Fox wrote: »
    But you have to go outdoors to get to it ;)

Was tempted to text the boss to ask but he's director level and has the sense of humour of a particularly heavy plank of wood.

Our place will be open and woe betide anyone who doesn't show because they are worried about the weather. If they have kids stranded at home though, company would accept that excuse in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It is appalling but if it's too bad I just won't be going in and I'll deal with HR on Tuesday.

Tell them you want it in writing that you have to come in, for the purpose of showing it to HSA should you be injured due to them requiring you to travel in a red warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Red Alert me arse. calm the f&uck down !! be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I wonder should the government order all non essential business to close?!

Under which piece of legislation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

slave1 wrote: »
    Dead calm in Athlone, spits of rain, took the basketball net down and cleared up all garden furniture, hopefully all for nothing

Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best!

Advertisement