Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

Steviesol wrote: »
    Starting to rain heavy in West Cork.

Stay safe Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

VinLieger wrote: »

:p run where exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Is cork still ****ed or will we escape the worst

Still ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MeasuredInTons

Necrominus wrote: »
    Dept. of Justice have tweeted that all offices are to remain closed tomorrow. Still have no idea if that includes my place of work where we input info on Pulse for the Gardai... I would like to think it's non essential tomorrow but have no clue whether it's considered that way or not
    I received an email about the closures, have you checked your workmail?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Big risk with Dublin bus is that they'll decide to shut down later in the day after having brought everyone to work on the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Skid X wrote: »
    Good to see, and that's what RTE should be doing too.

Someone suggested earlier that a ticker should be on screen tonight and I would agree, especially given the seriousness of the situation and the late developments re extension of the Red Warnings, School Closures etc.

No such notice on my tv3. Or Rte for that matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

I’m on the outskirts of Cork city, towards Passage. Everything is so quiet. Nothing happening as of now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Necrominus wrote: »
    Dept. of Justice have tweeted that all offices are to remain closed tomorrow. Still have no idea if that includes my place of work where we input info on Pulse for the Gardai... I would like to think it's non essential tomorrow but have no clue whether it's considered that way or not

I got word from my sec gen to say all non essential govt depts are to close tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnDx

I GIVE A ****...I HOPE THE PLACE GETS WRECKED. KIP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've a feeling this is like the snowmageddon forecasts every January/February.
    Being based in Dublin, I really don't see this being anything not experienced before, most winters I've already recorded high 90's kmph winds gusts here and thats pretty much whats forecast for Ophelia, the red warnings are overkill again and the reason why most ignore them, at least around here.
    Tidy up your garden for anything that could fly around, but this isn't tornadic or cat 5 stuff like the media seems to be saying it is. There may be a risk of blown over wheelie bins or a a celtic tiger apartment roof in Sandyford blown off but for most of us this will be nothing we haven't experienced in the past, at least in Dublin.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

No such notice on my tv3. Or Rte for that matter

There's a big banner floating across rte the last 20 mins with info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

LUAS will be running in Dublin, per tweet couple mins ago.

until the first cyclist or pedestrian is blown under one....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

gaius c wrote: »
    Big risk with Dublin bus is that they'll decide to shut down later in the day after having brought everyone to work on the morning.

That's pretty much what they've said in the Tweet I posted earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 11,326 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I must say I am bracing myself for the worst.

I live on a hill in rural north Wexford and any sort of windy day is exaggerated as a result. Now considering what's forecast, and the fact that Wexford is in the "danger zone", I am assuming I will be barricaded indoors all day until it passes and am preparing for the loss of electricity. If they are the only after-effects of Ophelia I will be content.

I have moved all loose objects in the garden indoors as a precaution. Thankfully there are no high trees near the house.

Took a walk around the house there earlier and there is an eerie atmosphere in the air with heavy fog and no natural sounds.

See you at the other side civilization.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Set up my 2 barographs today, haven`t been in use for a while so i`m hoping they will record the pressure ok.

IMG_20171015_1733341_zpsjybhd3qe.jpg?t=1508019976

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Radio stations began broadcasting a government emergency information buttetin a few mins ago. Will run every 15mins through the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Said it earlier on here but the main problem is going to be that conditions will be fine to travel in for most of the country during leaving for work times.

It's getting home that will be the difficulty.

It would be best if it sped up a little and hit earlier in the morning as it's a lot easier saying to an employer that you won't be in because of the current weather conditions as opposed to trying to explain what is going to hit later that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Cienciano wrote: »
    People who have to work tomorrow - at least tell us the line of business you're in so we can laugh at your boss if it's a furniture store or something completely non essential

I am a manager in a warehouse, we sell bathroom products to retail shops in bulk,

funny enough 99percent of our clients are in the west/south-west of ireland and a few up north

But we will definitely be open tomorrow, and I can imagin it will be a very slow day haha.

I've got a 40-50 minute commute to work, plus I have a girlfriend who is 39 weeks pregnant and knowing my feckin luck she will be in the middle of labour when the storm hits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Hurricane here now on my private island two hundred miles off the coast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

This "earily quite" "calm before the storm" crowd need to cop on. If you didn't know there was a storm coming you wouldn't notice how "earily quite" it is. The storm isnt having ANY effect on Ireland yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Skid X wrote: »
    Good to see, and that's what RTE should be doing too.

Someone suggested earlier that a ticker should be on screen tonight and I would agree, especially given the seriousness of the situation and the late developments re extension of the Red Warnings, School Closures etc.

RT1 have had a banner running intermittently in the last few minutes advising there is a red weather warning.

Had an exclamation mark after it but that was about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

All court sittings throughout the country are cancelled tomorrow. Staff are not expected to attend work tomorrow.

Shit getting real yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Local radio station here in Waterford have just posted on Facebook that they've received an emergency Government broadcast that they'll be playing every 15 minutes throughout the night.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Just want to say, thanks to all the posters in both this thread and the technical thread. I genuinely feel that some of the advice and early notice provided here will save someone's life

myshirt wrote: »
    There's a big banner floating across rte the last 20 mins with info.

Can’t see it but I watch rte & tv3 via sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Serious queues in Dundrum Tesco :eek:

https://twitter.com/davidogorman/status/919684184595197952

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Anyone old enough to remember Hurricane Charlie back in 1985 or was it 86?

Now that was the worst I ever encountered, I vividly remember deliberately looking out my window and seeing a little dog being blown 6 feet in the air as a gust caught him, he was grand though landed on his ass and toddled off.

Anyway will it be worse than Charlie? That was pretty bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

signostic wrote: »
    Set up my 2 barographs today, haven`t been in use for a while so i`m hoping they will record the pressure ok.

IMG_20171015_1733341_zpsjybhd3qe.jpg?t=1508019976

Would be interested in seeing the pressure drop and stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I look forward to watching this even unfold tomorrow. It's historic in many ways. I also think we will learn a lot from it. I am in rural Galway and expect a bashing, maybe not as much as the Sunny South East. Good luck to everyone tomorrow. I am just disappointed Teresa Mannion didn't make an appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

All eyes are on Ophelia and thanks to all the experts here for the updates and excellent information to what lies ahead.

Screen-pic-144_Oct._15_23.27.jpg

Advertisement