Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

So my employer kindly text everyone except me to say that it's business as usual tomorrow. I wouldn't even know only a colleague text me to tell me.
    This is ridiculous, Cork is on red alert and there's no busses so I have no way in. I know if I don't go in they'll ask why I didn't get my boyfriend to drop me in but I'm not asking him to drive in that, he isn't even going to work himself.
    We must be the only place in the county open tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I received an email about the closures, have you checked your workmail?

I don't know how! :( Only started 4 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

JohnDx wrote: »
    I GIVE A ****...I HOPE THE PLACE GETS WRECKED. KIP

tonight on six one, the storm has passed, with only one major house destruction. JohnDx house was Wreaked, local neighbors in the area said it was a kip and they are happy its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

mdwexford wrote: »
    All court sittings throughout the country are cancelled tomorrow. Staff are not expected to attend work tomorrow.

Shit getting real yo.

Where did you get this info? This affects me and at around 10pm I was told that office would remain open.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

This "earily quite" "calm before the storm" crowd need to cop on. If you didn't know there was a storm coming you wouldn't notice how "earily quite" it is. The storm isnt having ANY effect on Ireland yet!

Actually I would . Not a leaf is moving here and nothing stirring . Its oddly still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

signostic wrote: »
    Set up my 2 barographs today, haven`t been in use for a while so i`m hoping they will record the pressure ok.

IMG_20171015_1733341_zpsjybhd3qe.jpg?t=1508019976

Mine is digital - recording average 994 hpa over last 24 hours. Expecting rapid downward readings over next 12 hours ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Cienciano wrote: »
    People who have to work tomorrow - at least tell us the line of business you're in so we can laugh at your boss if it's a furniture store or something completely non essential

Health service, front line staff. I'm going in even though its a one hour drive. I can hardly expect someone else to go in to cover stuff while I'm sitting at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

youtube! wrote: »
    Anyone old enough to remember Hurricane Charlie back in 1985 or was it 86?

Now that was the worst I ever encountered, I vividly remember deliberately looking out my window and seeing a little dog being blown 6 feet in the air as a gust caught him, he was grand though landed on his ass and toddled off.

Anyway will it be worse than Charlie? That was pretty bad

Compared to this, Charlie don’t surf

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    So my employer kindly text everyone except me to say that it's business as usual tomorrow. I wouldn't even know only a colleague text me to tell me.
    This is ridiculous, Cork is on red alert and there's no busses so I have no way in. I know if I don't go in they'll ask why I didn't get my boyfriend to drop me in but I'm not asking him to drive in that, he isn't even going to work himself.

With respect I’d say more places will be open than not tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'm really worried about my home place. It's a tough old house but this looks worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

I have to go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I work in outdoor events. We have quite a few events tomorrow. Can’t miss them.

I see , your events run fine outdoors in 80mph winds ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

"his car was broken"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

200motels wrote: »
    I have to go in.

Use your common sense. Safety first

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Cienciano wrote: »
    People who have to work tomorrow - at least tell us the line of business you're in so we can laugh at your boss if it's a furniture store or something completely non essential

Health insurance company - based in Cork. Motto that is being made a joke of tomorrow if it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Mr.S wrote: »
    ****ing hell!

Was nuts in waterford earlier as well and most wandering around in a daze

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

myshirt wrote: »
    There's a big banner floating across rte the last 20 mins with info.

Still no sign. Does it matter I'm watching through sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lillycakes2

will this be anywhere near the "night of the big wind" back in 1839 anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

No such notice on my tv3. Or Rte for that matter

I have that notice for the last hour. I am using virgin media cable. Maybe they are sending out the signal. Are you using another system perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

This "earily quite" "calm before the storm" crowd need to cop on. If you didn't know there was a storm coming you wouldn't notice how "earily quite" it is. The storm isnt having ANY effect on Ireland yet!
    I'm in Dublin and there is absolutely no wind. I've not seen anything like this since ...last week...when I was in India!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

BoatMad wrote: »
    I see , your events run fine outdoors in 80mph winds ??

We have tents. And I personally have a windbreaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Where did you get this info? This affects me and at around 10pm I was told that office would remain open.

I work in courts as well.

Got a text off our manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

its on rte player

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

BBC One NI posted an update about all schools being closed there tomorrow during Match of the Day 2. (This is someone else pic and not mine!)

https://up.metropol247.co.uk/StevieB/F4AF6124-ABE1-454D-BFCE-10A02852678F.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Can't believe Varadkar couldn't be arsed making an announcement about this to the nation. A small 2 minute section on radio and TV tonight warning all citizens and taking control of the situation would have been in order. Also closing all non essential public services and calling on private businesses to think of the greater picture and closing for the day would have showed leadership. He's more than likely too busy with his department of spin and PR.

Lousy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

elib_266456.jpg

Is that your boss per chance?

this going to make me sound awful stupid but i actually have no idea who that is:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

adox wrote: »
    With respect I’d say more places will be open than not tomorrow.

Which is entirely irresponsible. It's potentially placing employees in danger especially returning from work , or leaving them stranded with no public services.

This is billed as a 1in 50 years event. I think most employers should take heed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm on sky as well. It's on tv3 not rte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

will this be anywhere near the "night of the big wind" back in 1839 anyone know?

oooohhhh....really good question. mt needs to see this one.

Advertisement