Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Please remember all the emergency workers that have to go out tomorrow. From ESB to Gardai to nurses in hospitals.
    Hell, even my St John Ambulance unit is on standby for patient transfers.

Stay safe everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

siobhan08 wrote: »
    this going to make me sound awful stupid but i actually have no idea who that is:D:D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101054/

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Drumpot wrote: »
    I don't suppose anybody knows if these are the kinds of winds that can do severe damage to a concrete home ? I have three young kids and have already identified the downstairs toilet (no windows, middle of house) as the "safezone" if it gets really bad. But I don't understand how bad these forecasts are suggesting. Now that theres a nationwide warning, are we talking "you should be safe indoors, including near windows" or literally "stay away from the windows for the few hours while the worst is passing"?

Also, my wife suggested we close the curtains in case debrit comes through it, I think its a decent suggestion!

Got such a laugh from this. Tell me you aren’t serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

what category storm is it? cat 3, 4, 5 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Can't believe Varadkar couldn't be arsed making an announcement about this to the nation. A small 2 minute section on radio and TV tonight warning all citizens and taking control of the situation would have been in order. Also closing all non essential public services and calling on private businesses to think of the greater picture and closing for the day would have showed leadership. He's more than likely too busy with his department of spin and PR.

Lousy stuff.

I agree, in my opinion extending the red warning to all counties also shows up poor thinking , giving few people any time to consider options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Finally got a text from work to say stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,989 ✭✭✭✭bnt

We have tents. And I personally have a windbreaker.
    On the off chance that this isn't trolling (see Mod Post #1) ... you may have tents now - but will you still have them by the end of the day, or will they end up in Scotland?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'm on sky as well. It's on tv3 not rte.

It's there, just intermittent. Much more off than on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

syngindub wrote: »
    what category storm is it? cat 3, 4, 5 ??

It’s still a hurricane for now. Cat 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

There have been service announcements (repeated at ad breaks) on Today FM. Never have I heard of such announcements relating to weather events before. It all seems very surreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    So my employer kindly text everyone except me to say that it's business as usual tomorrow. I wouldn't even know only a colleague text me to tell me.
    This is ridiculous, Cork is on red alert and there's no busses so I have no way in. I know if I don't go in they'll ask why I didn't get my boyfriend to drop me in but I'm not asking him to drive in that, he isn't even going to work himself.
    We must be the only place in the county open tomorrow.

i would seriously question his respect for his workers simple as that don't go your life is more important,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

adox wrote: »
    With respect I’d say more places will be open than not tomorrow.

Tbh, most companies in Cork seem to be closing. I've heard of a load of multinationals that have told their staff to stay home (Apple, Amazon, Johnson and Johnson, Stryker etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Having experienced a tropical storm - Delta - when it scooted 162km north of the Canary Islands in 2005, the reaction in Ireland appears to mirror what I experienced in the lead up to Delta. ie. the sense of urgency & need for precaution coming late on, all the while being peppered by some who remained blasé, or possibly just uninformed & thus unconcerned, up to the eve of its arrival.
    This reaction is understandable IMO. Delta & Ophelia ended up in very much foreign territory for such weather events. But I attach two photos not to scare folk, but rather to inform of the potential dangers such a weather system can carry. 
    430736.jpg
    430737.jpg
    Now, obviously no two weather events are the same and, while hopefully Ireland will come through with less issues than what Delta left behind, it'd surely be best to use the noggin & not go anywhere unless truly necessary tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Im in Galway and im fully bracing myself for the worst tomorrow.To be honest im afraid that the house could get damaged.I have relatives in the Arann islands as well and obviously im worried about them.This could be end of the world stuff tomorrow or we might be saying we were worrying over nothing after it's over.Hopefully it will be the latter scenario.But the uncertainty is the worst.Midnight tomorrow can't come soon enough.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Administrators Posts: 53,797 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cianos wrote: »

Bit OTT to be stocking up like that in Dublin IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

What will the conditions be like at 9pm tomorrow, midlands.

We have tents. And I personally have a windbreaker.

Good man , begorah , sure god made you and he made the wind , I'm sure he'll look after ye both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Finally got a text from work to say stay at home.

Jammy git. I work for UPS I can almost guarantee I'll be out delivering tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

Result! day off tomorrow

Jammy git. I work for UPS I can almost guarantee I'll be out delivering tomorrow.

To who

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

quarryman wrote: »
    Got such a laugh from this. Tell me you aren’t serious.

Dead serious. I'll be wearing this going to the shop tomorrow.

106953f6ca7373e61a80a199c8b49bd4--kid-halloween-costumes-party-costumes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Luas will expect to be operating services tomorrow. Although people are advised to check for media updates throughout the day.

https://twitter.com/Luas/status/919672221026734081

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Im in Galway and im fully bracing myself for the worst tomorrow.To be honest im afraid that the house could get damaged.I have relatives in the Arann islands as well and obviously im worried about them.This could be end of the world stuff tomorrow or we might be saying we were worrying over nothing after it's over.Hopefully it will be the latter scenario.But the uncertainty is the worst.Midnight tomorrow can't come soon enough.

End of the world??

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Hey boss I wont be in work tomorrow
    Why the eff not?
    Eh well theres this thing called a hurricane!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

For the very latest there is a Met eireann forecast on Rte Radio 1 at 2355 , (Sky channel 0160 )

South /south east coasts look like getting the most wind while west getting the most rain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

It’s still a hurricane for now. Cat 1

Met office declared it ex-hurricane 2 hours ago

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ticker on RTE1 coming up every few minutes says "RED WEATHER ALERT IS IN FORCE FOR TOMORROW"

which is good, but they could put some more practical information on it

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

I received an email about the closures, have you checked your workmail?

I'm in exactly the same boat haha no idea how to check emails outside work. My office is not essential and from what you said I doubt yours is either. I'd ring in in the morning just to be safe... They will be understanding

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

What is the timeline for contact with the south coast?

Advertisement