Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid but would it not make sense to evacuate any coastal town on the south coast especially considering the storm surge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Interesting curve to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I'm struggling to understand the attitude of some posters on here. It's like some sort of superiority complex that they understand how serious this will be. I mean, schools are closed, many businesses are closed, there has been extensive coverage on the news all day, the emergency task force met early today, the army are on standby, the ESB are prepared, many hospitals have cancelled all elective procedures.... Apart from getting in some food and a few candles and moving loose objects from the garden there's essentially nothing we can do only hope for the best. I think the response and preparation has been fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

I work in Government buildings and it's business as usual tomorrow as far as I know. A bit weird considering other Depts on Kildare st are closed, and half the staff drive from their constituencies in the country to work in their office at our place.
    I'll probably just cycle in as usual, if it's really bad at 5pm when I'm leaving I'll take the dart home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

spookwoman wrote: »
    dont know could track either way

It's hard to judge those maps because of the curvature of the earth. It is still on track to hammer south coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

awec wrote: »
    Bit OTT to be stocking up like that in Dublin IMO.

fools - the bit of wind will be gone tomorrow evening - sure they won't have their frappuccinos will be biggest issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

I am almost certain your office will be also closed tomorrow.

I agree! The tweet is very clear. I hope everyone stays safe.

UK Met Office shipping forecast. Shannon & Fastnet areas: force 9 to 11, occasionally force 12.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/marine-shipping-forecast#fastnet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I'm off tomorrow anyway, but I just logged in to see a BCP e-mail in work saying "All staff should exercise care when travelling to/from work on Monday and Tuesday", which is a very obvious 'we expect you to attend' to me. It also goes as far as to point out Dublin won't be as seriously impacted as the rest of the country - a further nudge that anyone in the Dublin office definitely should be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Vincent o shea on radio 1 now with forecast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

doylefe wrote: »
    What will the conditions be like at 9pm tomorrow, midlands.

Winds from the SW 50 kph +/- 10, gusting to 80+

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Is the storm likely to affect Dublin at all? I thought it was mainly the south and west. I'm wondering if it'd be relatively ok to go from north county dublin to Park West in the morning.

UK Met Office shipping forecast. Shannon & Fastnet areas: force 9 to 11, occasionally force 12.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/marine-shipping-forecast#fastnet

Been in an 11 , never again , a 12 is unfathomable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭circadian

I've seen people mention to open windows on the leeward side of your house to prevent the roof from coming off.

If there are strong winds in your area, do not do this it's a myth and will probably increase the risk of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭Heroditas

antodeco wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm that your are not insured if you drive in a red warning? Loads posting it!

It's complete and utter nonsense

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    So my employer kindly text everyone except me to say that it's business as usual tomorrow. I wouldn't even know only a colleague text me to tell me.
    This is ridiculous, Cork is on red alert and there's no busses so I have no way in. I know if I don't go in they'll ask why I didn't get my boyfriend to drop me in but I'm not asking him to drive in that, he isn't even going to work himself.
    We must be the only place in the county open tomorrow.

**** that! I'd tell your employer where too go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

GarIT wrote: »
    All warnings have been saying that it is not safe to go walking. Deaths of pedestrians are expected.

Where are you getting ;;"Deaths of pedestrians are expected" from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

piuswal wrote: »
    Where are you getting ;;"Deaths of pedestrians are expected" from?

Slates falling off roofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

Walking to work tomorrow around 8.30am. Stay safe guys x

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Cat 1.
    Lowest level.

It is not a cat 1 storm.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »
    Slates falling off roofs.

Personally having seen galvanised sheeting fly across the car in a storm , I'd be very careful

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Cat 1.
    Lowest level.

Lowest level hurricane, not storm.

Bus Éireann , all services cancelled nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 12,989 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm struggling to understand the attitude of some posters on here. It's like some sort of superiority complex that they understand how serious this will be.
    It's not the same for everyone, though. If I was in Waterford, it would be a simple Nope to the question. However, I'm in Dublin, the LUAS will be running (they say), and so I have to try, even if it means I have to leave at lunchtime.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

One point to remember when considering the affect of heavy wind here compared to the states, our houses are all built on foundations with bricks and concrete and not timber shacks that arent even attached to the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

I work in Government buildings and it's business as usual tomorrow as far as I know. A bit weird considering other Depts on Kildare st are closed, and half the staff drive from their constituencies in the country to work in their office at our place.
    I'll probably just cycle in as usual, if it's really bad at 5pm when I'm leaving I'll take the dart home.
    I imagine that the dart will be cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Is Teresa Mannion reporting on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

fools - the bit of wind will be gone tomorrow evening - sure they won't have their frappuccinos will be biggest issue.

I am in New Ross, and I regard it as my biggest issue. I just finished making a litre bottle of coffee with milk and sugar, and stuck it in the fridge.

circadian wrote: »
    I've seen people mention to open windows on the leeward side of your house to prevent the roof from coming off.

If there are strong winds in your area, do not do this it's a myth and will probably increase the risk of damage.

I dunno what side of my house is the leeward side?

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    It's not the same for everyone, though. If I was in Waterford, it would be a simple Nope to the question. However, I'm in Dublin, the LUAS will be running (they say), and so I have to try, even if it means I have to leave at lunchtime.

No bus Éireann , no Dublin bus until after 6pm ( under review )
    Every commuter trying to get on luas.
    Glad I'm not in Dublin

Advertisement