Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

BoatMad wrote: »
    Personally having seen galvanised sheeting fly across the car in a storm , I'd be very careful

Stock up on cotton wool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

1xo20m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I am in New Ross, and I regard it as my biggest issue. I just finished making a litre bottle of coffee with milk and sugar, and stuck it in the fridge.

Good man. When your roof falls in you can sit in the fridge and drink lukewarm coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

BoatMad wrote: »
    Personally having seen galvanised sheeting fly across the car in a storm , I'd be very careful

Yes, but to make a statement of "deaths expected" in the case of flying slates is alarmist

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

thomasj wrote: »
    Met office declared it ex-hurricane 2 hours ago
    Good!
    thomasj wrote: »
    Yeah but it's not a hurricane.

Met Eireann have said it will be an ex Hurricane when it hits here but explained that that refers to the technical structure of the eye but it still brings hurricane force winds and rain with it so it will be severe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Sundew wrote: »
    Anybody know if it's ok to light a stove during storm event or is it advisable to hold off. Elderly folks depend on their fire as no OCH! Apologies if incorrect thread. Can't seem to find this mornings one.

If it has a boiler then in the event of a power cut, pumps will be shut off, leaving only natural circulation to move heated water out of the boiler. It all depends on how it has been installed, and if natural circulation is good enough to yo take the heat away. The strong wind/gusts may create a very hot burn as the draught will be enhanced, but down drafts will probably occur in gusts.

On balance, as it will be a relatively warm day, I'd let the fire out for the duration of the highest winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I dunno what side of my house is the leeward side?

Just leave all your doors and windows open so. Some of them are bound to be on the leeward side😎

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Id say the craic in here tomorow will be better than a whole year on the lightning thread!

In all fairness tho, thanks to all who are relaying the information

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Just starting to rain here in cork, unsure if related or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,538 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Just got the text not to come in tomorrow, I'm bloody delighted...
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-19863-1377785775-0.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I've an old Dog that needs to do his "business" quite often in the Garden, should be a fun day getting him in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

nocoverart wrote: »
    I've an old Dog that needs to do his "business" quite often in the Garden, should be a fun day getting him in and out.
    Just make sure you are not downwind :D

piuswal wrote: »
    Yes, but to make a statement of "deaths expected" in the case of flying slates is alarmist

The last comparable event killed 15 people. This has been forecast to be more severe.

Of course maybe millennials have grown a tougher exterior since people in 1961. their super awesome clothing will deflect all known wind borne debris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I am in New Ross, and I regard it as my biggest issue. I just finished making a litre bottle of coffee with milk and sugar, and stuck it in the fridge.

OMG I never thought of that, now I have to go make coffee! I can live with no electricity, no broadband, etc. Etc. Etc. But all work and no coffee makes Homer something something!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

very well presented weather forecast right there. love the detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

spookwoman wrote: »
    Just make sure you are not downwind :D

Getting very nautical in here tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

How early is this going to begin hitting guys? 6am before the real stuff starts?

Donal55 wrote: »
    Just leave all your doors and windows open so. Some of them are bound to be on the leeward side😎

Pronounced of course as " looward" possibly because that's where you'll be going if you open a window. !!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

I really hope that this isn't as bad as they are making it out to be, stay safe folks xx

• Advertisement

There might be more visitors to the weather forum tomorrow than there were in Phoenix Pk for the papal mass in 1979.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    We were told in work today we would be notified tomorrow morning if we get to stay home. 3 years ago we had a storm in Kilkenny and there were trees down for weeks after. Also, afraid for the dogs here, one of them had such false bravado! I do hope it's not as bad as they predict. My mum is heading into an 11 hour flight just about now, from San Fran, I'm hoping she gets home safe.

That's was genuinely very very severe in kilkenny that afternoon. And there was nothing like the types of warnings given for tomorrow's event. Very lucky nothing happened in the rush hour that afternoon and the emergency services did sterling wirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Some colleagues getting messages, if they take tomorrow off, they have to work the time back in the next few weeks. We're such a great company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Rain has just started in Cork City now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Donal55 wrote: »
    Getting very nautical in here tonight.

Only it won't be sea spray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

titan18 wrote: »
    Some colleagues getting messages, if they take tomorrow off, they have to work the time back in the next few weeks. We're such a great company

Nothing wrong with that...dont see why employers need to be out of pocket.
    I'm in work tomorrow,no big deal,Just gonna be extra careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭crashadder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

so my dept tweeted our buildings are open but only for "essential staff". No idea if I'm essential staff or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

titan18 wrote: »

What industry are you in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

What industry are you in?

Health Insurance

Advertisement