Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

road_high wrote: »
    That's was genuinely very very severe in kilkenny that afternoon. And there was nothing like the types of warnings given for tomorrow's event. Very lucky nothing happened in the rush hour that afternoon and the emergency services did sterling wirk.

Kilkenny often seems to be afflicted by weird and abnormal weather though. Presumably to do with the shape of the valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

titan18 wrote: »
    Insurance

In fairness, you’ll be busy the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

titan18 wrote: »
    Insurance

Tbf.... You are gonna be very busy tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Samaris wrote: »
    Kilkenny often seems to be afflicted by weird and abnormal weather though. Presumably to do with the shape of the valley.

I think it's technically one of the least windy places in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

In fairness, you’ll be busy the next few weeks

Edited my post, not that sort of insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

I rang security where I work in Cork and I was told the building is open but don't travel if it's unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

so my dept tweeted our buildings are open but only for "essential staff". No idea if I'm essential staff or not!

if you dont know then your not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that...dont see why employers need to be out of pocket.
    I'm in work tomorrow,no big deal,Just gonna be extra careful.

Depends how well they value their staff like. Most companies closing are treating it like a company day

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Surprised at how many boats in path of the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

what time will it be hitting kerry, galway, mayo then donegal. Is it really going to be a bad one or is it just a case of to much hype

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Anyone else from Galway? We are in for a scuttling. I was a bit slow on the uptake about how severe it's actually going to be and now I'm genuinely bricking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Cant hang around here as up for work in the morning.

'I am just going outside and maybe some time'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

It's hard to imagine it's not all a bit overhyped when I've never experienced anything like this.

From the way it's being described people are probably going to be killed tomorrow.

I'll be tucked up at home anyway.
    Hope people don't underestimate it and take risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

so my dept tweeted our buildings are open but only for "essential staff". No idea if I'm essential staff or not!

Essential staff know they are essential haha stay at home

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Just in case you missed this one earlier

https://twitter.com/JoannaDonnellyL/status/919541032131407872

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Rain gone from spotty to persistent west of Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I hope this is noticeably bad tomorrow as emergency warnings on the television and radio and work cancellations and red alerts will never be taken seriously again if not.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm concerned about the large tree in my neighbours garden! Bottom half is bare, but top half is full. It's as wide as it is tall (about 30/40 feet I'd say).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that...dont see why employers need to be out of pocket.
    I'm in work tomorrow,no big deal,Just gonna be extra careful.

Act of God....Tough luck. insurance companies use this trick all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Did anyone see the lad in the pub in West Cork on Sky News,he told the reporter that he won't be making unnecessary journeys and definitely won't be swimming in the open sea.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Skid X wrote: »

She's some legend!
    I love the way sometime at the end of a weather broadcast she gives a cheeky little wink, my favorite weather woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

BoatMad wrote:
    Good man. When your roof falls in you can sit in the fridge and drink lukewarm coffee

Woman. No chance of that being lukewarm by morning. I live in a three storey building with no one else in it. I can definitely get away from the roof. If the power goes out, I have a powerbank, with stuff saved on the tablet. I have food, water, tobacco, candles, cider, and a bat onsie. And nowhere to be tomorrow, and no kids to pester me. You should envy my readiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

spookwoman wrote: »
    Only it won't be sea spray

I'll be grand, I have a wet suit. I also have some nappies in the house. I think I'll leave the wet suit in the shed and put a nappy on the Dog... sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭s8n

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Would would be the estimated arrival time of this storm for the west coast/Galway area?Will it last for 6 hours maximum?

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

I dont think its going to be as bad as everyone thinks

Skid X wrote: »

I love Joanna. Remember the first time I saw her do the weather and thought she was a cool chick.

Rain starting in Rathcormac (Fermoy are North Cork) and breeze starting.

It was deathly calm up to 5 minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I'm in Clondalkin, and just had a peek out the window: there is a yellowy tinge to the sky, and it is very foggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Heading to work in Salthill tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

Advertisement