Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Pretzill wrote: »
    Just saw something on the met.ie sea crossing forecast I have never seen before...
    Rosslare to France & Cork to France crossing -
    Very High to Phenomenal! 😧

Phenomenal is a text description of sea state accompanying F12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

gitzy16v wrote: »
    You're obviously part of the "opinions that don't match mine don't matter" brigade.
    It will be bad but not near as bad as the doomsday merchants on boards.ie reckon.

I think he's part of the brigade that values opinions backed up with evidence. Do you have any?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/919699712374165505

Why would they post such an amateur quality video of a video.
    This is Ireland I GUESS. I can't imagine anyone else doing such a thing.

because it was on rte player. somebody had to record it on the phone to upload it as you can't download/upload from rte player. i think thats why she apologized to rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

@beat102103
    The Emergency Broadcast System is now enacted & Beat will be broadcasting the emergency Government broadcast through the night. Stay indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Irish_rat wrote: »
    A few houses in the estate have their bins out for collection, hopefully they wont end up through my window tomorrow

I'm the same here. If my car is smashed they can pay for it. What kind of moron leaves bins out in this kind of weather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

I think he's part of the brigade that values opinions backed up with evidence. Do you have any?

Yeah all the evidence on the technical thread.

Nothing wrong with thinking it won't be as bad as people on here are making out.

Never said it's gonna be nice just not the apocalyptic scenario being bandied about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Slight pick up in breeze over the last hour down here in south Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

I'm the same here. If my car is smashed they can pay for it. What kind of moron leaves bins out in this kind of weather.

Why not if they're being collected early

Nothing wrong with thinking it won't be as bad as people on here are making out.

Never said it's gonna be nice just not the apocalyptic scenario being bandied about here.

So link to the evidence where it states that it will not be as bad?

Opinions are worth nothing unless they are based on evidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Mist / fog reflecting streetlights.

Why are the streetlights orange?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

My bins are out the yard. I clingfilmed the top of them and I'm hoping for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Where are the people calling it apocalyptic? Everything I've seen here is in line with what ME are forecasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Is this a catergory 1 or catergory 3 hurricane?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

mikeysmith wrote: »
    Why not if they're being collected early

They have them out all week round.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I have inflammation in my sinuses the past while. I've been to the doc and had antibiotics which worked, but the infection slowly returned. I have the most incredible pressure in my head currently. Could it be related to the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Jesus if Dunnes are closing things must be bad! I worked there for a year and swore if there's ever a doomsday they'll still have the staff in scanning and stocking

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭DaithiMa

All essential supplies for Monday secured. Hopefully enough to see me through the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

jk23 wrote: »
    Is this a catergory 1 or catergory 3 hurricane?
    category 13

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

I just got no update either way from work. Ridic. It's the sort of behaviour that would kill motivation for any employee. A nice text from the boss putting safety first would be such an easy win .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Times like this I wish I could just take tomorrow off but unfortunately can't. Hopefully everyone makes it in safely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

So link to the evidence where it states that it will not be as bad?

Opinions are worth nothing unless they are based on evidence

Go read the technical thread yourself.
    Or else stay here and sh1t yourself with the cat 1 storm while the people of the Caribbean have a right aul laugh at all the hysterics on here.

OK off to bed in Cork, setting the alarm for early to see this unfold but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

up4dabah wrote: »
    category 13

Haha off the charts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Now that I think of it, it would be a good idea to tie the bin closed with straps. Its fairly full and collection is not until next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

anna080 wrote: »
    Jesus if Dunnes are closing things must be bad! I worked there for a year and swore if there's ever a doomsday they'll still have the staff in scanning and stocking

Just saw that. I'm shocked they're closing too!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

roddy15 wrote: »
    Where are the people calling it apocalyptic? Everything I've seen here is in line with what ME are forecasting.

Correct , models are consistent and 50 kts average wind is a lot of wind , given guests can be twice that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Check this out - Follow the thing live: earth.nullschool.net

eg:https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-6.24,38.44,593/loc=-10.170,51.993

Stay safe everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

No, I mean evidence that the opinions on this thread are out of line with the other? All that I've seen seems in line with Met Eireann warnings etc and the tech thread. Aside from the occasional joke.

Advertisement