Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Now that I think of it, it would be a good idea to tie the bin closed with straps. Its fairly full and collection is not until next Monday.

If the bin men don't take it the wind will..
    Be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

What direction will the wind blow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Looks like the family at the back have left the trampoline and everything out for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

mikeysmith wrote: »
    Why not if they're being collected early

Theyre starting the collection early but it probably wont get to our estate until 11/12 in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

Now that I think of it, it would be a good idea to tie the bin closed with straps. Its fairly full and collection is not until next Monday.
    Some bins have holes that you can put twine through. My Greenstar ones don't plus I don't have twine anyway. But I had a huge roll of clingfilm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

BoatMad wrote: »
    Phenomenal is a text description of sea state accompanying F12

Thanks makes it sound less dramatic-ish than it reads...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

syngindub wrote: »

Depends where you are and when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Theyre starting the collection early but it probably wont get to our estate until 11/12 in the day.

I've mine out but they get collected at 7

I'm thinking that should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

"An Post will not be delivering post in Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Galway, Clare or Limerick on Monday, and will be reviewing national services overnight."

http://www.thejournal.ie/hurricane-ophelia-2-3648077-Oct2017

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Supercell wrote:
    I've a feeling this is like the snowmageddon forecasts every January/February. Being based in Dublin, I really don't see this being anything not experienced before, most winters I've already recorded high 90's kmph winds gusts here and thats pretty much whats forecast for Ophelia, the red warnings are overkill again and the reason why most ignore them, at least around here. Tidy up your garden for anything that could fly around, but this isn't tornadic or cat 5 stuff like the media seems to be saying it is. There may be a risk of blown over wheelie bins or a a celtic tiger apartment roof in Sandyford blown off but for most of us this will be nothing we haven't experienced in the past, at least in Dublin.

Ah so long as Dublin is alright that's grand so. (Can't do sarcastic face on phone)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Slight aside (I'm sure the mods won't mind). This is just the weather forum.
    Currently Active Users

At 1am on a Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

There might be more visitors to the weather forum tomorrow than there were in Phoenix Pk for the papal mass in 1979.....

Bunch of blow ins...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Pretzill wrote: »
    Thanks makes it sound less dramatic-ish than it reads...

You never want to experience " phenomenal" seas ever. 12 metre seas predicated off the south coast. That can kill ships

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Bus Eireann
    (@Buseireann)
    All services cancelled nationwide from 0500-1400 tomorrow. Situation will be reviewed and some services may resume in the afternoon #Ophelia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Hope everyone is safe out there.

Hopefully this passes without injuries or fatalities.

Most of my friends can't understand the seriousness of this and one even said "the people on the coast couldbe affected". Could.

Why people don't heed warnings and take precautions I don't know.

Found this link in the other thread (technical analysis) of a beach camera on Inchydoney beach. Looks like someone parked on (or else very, very near) the beach.

http://www.inchydoneyisland.com/en/beach-cam/

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

pilly wrote: »
    Ah so long as Dublin is alright that's grand so. (Can't do sarcastic face on phone)
    Ah sure only Dublin is worth worrying about. I'm sure everyone here is from Dublin because culchies can't use the internet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

On Cork's outer harbour after several hours of dead calm, the wind is picking up, and some
    light rain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

syngindub wrote: »

What colour is the wind, Maggie? :pac:

I've been tracking this event for the last 4 days or so, and I've been reading this thread all. I couldn't post though because I was in work.

I think the reason for so much apathy in the country is that we see the tail ends of hurricanes quite regularly. The problem is, no-one explained to the country, until maybe Joanne around 1pm today that this isn't the last breath of a hurricane which ran out of steam a few thousand miles away, but up until it was about parallel with portugal was an actual hurricaneand it was coming this way. Still people aren't quite getting the message.

I got an email around 10pm saying everyone on my team is working from home tomorrow and if my remote access isn't working and I don't feel safe, then don't come to the office. I'm lucky my management team is switched on and made a decision. I was in the US when there was an anexpected weather event and the states Governor went on TV and basically ordered everyone to stay in doors.

I'm a bit disappointed no-one from our own leadership didn't stand up to the plate and make a decision. It'd been very easy for the Taoiseach to be on the 9pm news and make a statement. A few words. "It could be bad. Take every precaution.... If you don't work in frontline services, stay at home tomorrow".

• Registered Users Posts: 36,054 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Addle wrote: »

Every county that surrounds Kilkenny, but not Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Skid X wrote: »
    "An Post will not be delivering post in Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Galway, Clare or Limerick on Monday, and will be reviewing national services overnight."

http://www.thejournal.ie/hurricane-ophelia-2-3648077-Oct2017

Strange they omitted Wexford , given it's a red flagged county, obviously there no wind on the other side of Waterford estuary so. !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

We need some Boggers with shotguns in Kerry shooting at the F'ing thing !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/41201494/people-like-ryon-are-going-to-shoot-at-hurricane-irma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Pretzill wrote: »
    Just saw something on the met.ie sea crossing forecast I have never seen before...
    Rosslare to France & Cork to France crossing -
    Very High to Phenomenal!

It’s number 9 on the Douglas Wind Sea Scale describing waves of over 14 meters

You can read about it here http://completeguide.rnli.org/sea-state.html

BoatMad wrote: »
    Strange they omitted Wexford , given it's a red flagged county

The entire country is red flagged. Don't expect any post tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

No, I mean evidence that the opinions on this thread are out of line with the other? All that I've seen seems in line with Met Eireann warnings etc and the tech thread. Aside from the occasional joke.

The evidence is in the technical thread of how bad this..might..be.
    The comments in this thread are pure hysterics.
    I've to go to bed,some of us have work tomorrow so enjoy hiding under the duvet doomsdayers (not specifically you atomic),I'll make sure your fuel depot has the coal it needs for the next few weeks at least...no panic I'll risk my life for it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

DaithiMa wrote: »
    All essential supplies for Monday secured. Hopefully enough to see me through the day.

Now there’s a box that can blow through my window any day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Is anyone with satellite dishes and aerials outside their homes be badly affected from tomorrow's storm?

My own dish and aerial on the house faces itself in front of a main road at Blackrock in Dublin.

It is bolted into the house but not secure with other restraints. Will that be a problem for tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Raining now in Cork City .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,837 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This looks like its going to hit in the next couple of hours rather than the 9am morning hit that was previously suggested?

The warning was updated to come into force at 6am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Tomorrow if the storm doesn't live up to expectation.

Advertisement