Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Joanna donnelly just now on twitter

"Can't sleep, want everyone to know I'd rather have egg on my face and the storm move out to see than have anyone harmed. Stay safe "

• Registered Users Posts: 36,054 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

Anyone else just received no update from work? Want to know is how common it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

It's a bit of a storm in a teacup isn't it! I think it's just blowen out of proportion tbh.

Of course , winds of a cat 2 ex hurricane , a possible sting jet developing , exposed south coast band 12m swells

Sure , it's a bit windy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

what time is it likely to make landfall?
    Looking at the current trajectory, I would now expect landfall before 3am - that said, I'll leave it to the experts...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

theglobe wrote: »
    Anyone else just received no update from work? Want to know is how common it is.

I got nothing and I'm in a Gov dept in Dublin, their twitter says it's open but only for essential staff. No idea what that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Sky dish? It’s perforated for wind (not storms but should be ok enough)

No. It is a Free to Air dish for the UK channels.

Will that change things or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

I had to contact work myself and they said don't come in if it's unsafe to do so but it's still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

My fiancee's heard nothing from work. They were expected to travel long distance in the big freeze but this is taking the p'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I got nothing and I'm in a Gov dept in Dublin, their twitter says it's open but only for essential staff. No idea what that means.

Basically are you disposable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Rob094

It's a good thing Cork floats amiright?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

They are closed.

Basically are you disposable?

Me not being there for a day wont change anything but the reality is it's easy enough for me to get to work, getting home could be a different story. I just don't feel like I can not show up unless I was told to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

i do appreciate all the graphs. but the reality is the known is known, So can somebody explain it in ordinary terms. Everybody can see this storm bearing down on us. So can you cut past the graphs and explain to the minions what we can expect from cork to belfast. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

This feels like staying up waiting for election counts to come in after a general election. Will it swing a little west or east and will that have an important impact for our particular areas.

Maybe i'm wrong but the more westerly theme of the storm centre skimming Kerry and Galway would seem to downgrade that little for Dublin that could make a lot of difference there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

All government departments closed. Got a text from my sec gen earlier.
    If you were essential you would know.
    Even our essential staff are told to work for from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Temperature on the up here quickly now. Wind picked up a bit and starting to rain.

Kildare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Hi

Will this storm have thunder and lightning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

i do appreciate all the graphs. but the reality is the known is known, So can somebody explain it in ordinary terms. Everybody can see this storm bearing down on us. So can tou cut past the graphs and explain to the minions what we can expect from cork to belfast. Thanks

A lot Of wind , rain , and big waves

Happy now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

No. It is a Free to Air dish for the UK channels.

Will that change things or not?

Does it have a mesh, thousands of little holes to allow the wind to go through?

If so I'd imagine it would take little to no damage, I hope anyways as I have one too.

Or is it one of these:

h6txbOT.png

If so I can imagine it taking quite a beating.

But none of my colleagues have been told not to come in, and the section head says it's business as usual as far as she knows. Our buildings are open, so not all Gov depts are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Hi

Will this storm have thunder and lightning ?

https://en.sat24.com/en

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I'd suggest that if you don't know what that message means, then you are probably not essential staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The sting jet call is a bit odd, wouldn't pay it so much heed yet. They've pointed out one feature of a cold conveyor belt setup (related to the kind of meteorology that results in a sting jet) but the higher altitude winds are not ridiculously strong like they were during the awful Christmas storm of 97/98. I think Darwin in 2014 had a proper sting jet too and was a.very different kind of storm to Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Is anyone with satellite dishes and aerials outside their homes be badly affected from tomorrow's storm?

My own dish and aerial on the house faces itself in front of a main road at Blackrock in Dublin.

It is bolted into the house but not secure with other restraints. Will that be a problem for tomorrow?

Mine won't be a problem as I took it down this afternoon. Also slid the TV antennae down it's pole so it's next to the chimney.

A few years back we had a very strong gust and the dish snapped it's 2" aluminium tubing bracket. and ended up dangling by the coax and being blown about on the driveway. Just missed the car.

Dish is an 80cm solid and I'm on a hillside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Doubt if Met Eireann staff country wide will be given the day off tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

What, when and where, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What, when and where, please.
    www.met.ie or m.met.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

Just want to say thanks to the folks who have provided their in depth analysis on Ophelia over the last days.

I've been lurking since around Wednesday and watched this develop - I was very curious as to whether the models could predict an unusual occurrence like this with any accuracy and.. well.. they have.

I've everything charged up and luckily I've tomorrow booked off work since last year!

Overall, I think Met Eireann have handled this really well.

Regardless of how this plays out - this is a largely unprecedented event and I think the red warnings are justified. It doesn't take a Cat 1 hurricane to kill; I have memories from my childhood of a people in a van being killed after a wall fell in high winds. We also had a wall collapse in our back yard during high winds. Neither involved post tropical storms, nevermind a hurricane. If the red warnings save one life, it's worth it imo.

If this turns out to be a minor event with little physical impact - I know what the reaction will be, a lot of smug comments saying it was overhyped etc. and they knew it all along. But it's easy to say whatever the hell you want when you're sitting at a keyboard and your words have no impact - it's a world away from the responsibilities facing Met Eireann, state agencies, etc.

I'm hoping for the best - I hope no-one is hurt, no homes are badly damaged... if that's the case I'll be delighted. My first thoughts will not be ripping Met Eireann to shreds, I don't think any sane persons response should be.

If it turns out to be very bad - well, we were warned. I would encourage people to give loved ones, neighbours etc. a shout in the morning - people can have a lot going on in their lives and not necessarily be paying attention to the news, weather, or even god forbid boards, so maybe mention it.

Stay safe folks.

Advertisement