Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Bit breezy out tonight here in the Midlands. Is it related to Ophelia?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

flazio wrote: »
    Bit breezy out tonight here in the Midlands. Is it related to Ophelia?

Nope, early Monday morning before Ophelia's effects start to be felt anywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,418 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Zzippy wrote: »
    Hey! I'm in No. 13!

(no, no I'm not)

should have thought of that before you bought a cursed house :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Huge risk of complacency here because it’s such an unusual weather event.
    Don’t just take the “ah sure it’ll be grand” approach but at the same time it’s probably not going to be catastrophic either.

I’ve tidied up the yard. Sealed the bins with bungee cords. Removed anything loose and likely to fly.

I’ll do one final check of all the exterior doors, close the windows properly and make sure the locks are correctly engaged and settle in for the afternoon.

It’s minor things like flying slates that can do serious injury in these events, not necessarily the Hollywood SFX stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

How much beer will I need to stock up on tomorrow to ride out this catastrophe?

• Advertisement

How much beer will I need to stock up on to ride out this catastrophe?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The turbines on the Stacks Mountains north east of Tralee were racing today. Surprised they were able to go so fast without being turned off. I'd imagine during this event they will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Zzippy wrote: »
    I'd rather celebrate my roof remaining intact.

Good for you. Your roof must be badly fitted if it can't withstand a gale.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

s.m wrote: »
    Everyone keeps on about a hurricane hitting this country but there's never been any record of one affecting our lovely land. Though mind you the records do only go back to late 1961 after the original building holding the records mysteriously blew away.

On a more serious note how will Donegal fair in this situation ?

There's something very Terry Pratchett about that line, great stuff :D

Genuine question,I don't mean to make this Dublin centric but anyone in the know, I'm due to fly to isle of man on small turbo prop plane 9.25am from dub to Douglas isle of man on mon.Will the storm of hit by Then? What's the chances of a stobart air plane flying with this storm imminent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Anyone else stayed up later than usual because they are following these Ophelia weather threads?

- Addictive or what?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It strikes me that most fatalities from storms in Ireland have been from trees or walls falling on cars or people walking. Anyone who can stay indoors really should. I'm planning to take my son to my parents' house first thing on Monday morning as they have a camping stove and an emergency genny. They are also more sheltered than I am, have smaller windows and have no trees near the house, whereas some of my and my neighbour's trees are in falling distance of my house.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's a reminder of the snow threads, the constant refreshing of the threads in the Weather forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'll cross post this from the other thread. Here are the more recently updated Likely Arrival Times for the worst winds (note that these are in AST timezone, you'll need to add 5 hours to them):

205031_most_likely_toa_no_wsp_34.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

iguana wrote: »
    It strikes me that most fatalities from storms in Ireland have been from trees or walls falling on cars or people walking. Anyone who can stay indoors really should. I'm planning to take my son to my parents' house first thing on Monday morning as they have a camping stove and an emergency genny. They are also more sheltered than I am, have smaller windows and have no trees near the house, whereas some of my and my neighbour's trees are in falling distance of my house.

Standing watching the sea is also a fairly bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Genuine question,I don't mean to make this Dublin centric but anyone in the know, I'm due to fly to isle of man on small turbo prop plane 9.25am from dub to Douglas isle of man on mon.Will the storm of hit by Then? What's the chances of a stobart air plane flying with this storm imminent?

You might not be flying anywhere on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Stobarts are the first to cancel in high winds.

But what we all want to know, lol is what you doing in IOM.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Houses are being boarded up here in Kerry, last time I saw something like it was driving through a deserted council estate which had been destroyed by anti-social tenants.

Stobarts are the first to cancel in high winds.

But what we all want to know, lol is what you doing in IOM.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the answer , and thats excellent news about stobart (although not sure if serious,new to boards) As for the second part nothing too exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Coax

Doltanian wrote: »
    The Telephone exchanges and Mast towers all have huge battery banks of lead acid batteries.

Not exactly accurate. Exchanges are reasonably well equipped, transmission sites less so.

Having direct experience, I can assure you that there are no "huge" battery banks. This is for cost reasons and not engineering reasons. Many sites have see generators decommissioned and removed.

During the Feb 2014 weather event many cell sites and other communications installations went off the air when batteries became depleted.

Broadband providers, particularly the wireless providers spends as little as possible on power back up so don't be surprised to see services down in the event of prolonged mains outages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The morning flight should be OK, as long as it can get back to Dublin before the stronger winds kick in, but there is almost no chance of the flights later in the day operating, and if they can't find a hangar to hide it in, the aircraft will be moved away from Dublin to protect it, due to the forecast strength of the wind, it won't be safe on the ground.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks for the answer , and thats excellent news about stobart (although not sure if serious,new to boards) As for the second part nothing too exciting

Stobarts have less heft than the other aircraft in the skies.

They are great service have used them often. But in a deep wind, there can be trouble ahead, and they know it, so they back off or go to a different airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Den Creed

Coax wrote: »
    Not exactly accurate. Exchanges are reasonably well equipped, transmission sites less so.

Having direct experience, I can assure you that there are no "huge" battery banks. This is for cost reasons and not engineering reasons. Many sites have see generators decommissioned and removed.

During the Feb 2014 weather event many cell sites and other communications installations went off the air when batteries became depleted.

Broadband providers, particularly the wireless providers spends as little as possible on power back up so don't be surprised to see services down in the event of prolonged mains outages.
    I'll second that, There's an broadband mast near my place, and in 2014, as close as we were, no signal/service down. As soon as ESB restored power, it was back up and running within 2 minutes

The morning flight should be OK, as long as it can get back to Dublin before the stronger winds kick in, but there is almost no chance of the flights later in the day operating, and if they can't find a hangar to hide it in, the aircraft will be moved away from Dublin to protect it, due to the forecast strength of the wind, it won't be safe on the ground.

Cheers

Stobarts have less heft than the other aircraft in the skies.

They are great service have used them often. But in a deep wind, there can be trouble ahead, and they know it, so they back off or go to a different airport.

Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

What I fear most is that there will be significant parts of rural Ireland that will be without power for a number of days after this system has gone through, ESB will have been working to try and prepare for this sort of event, but this will find every weakened pole, or loose cable, and with the direction being away from the normal prevailing wind, and against trees that are still very much in leaf still, there will be a lot of trees down across cables. Clearing that and repairing the damage WILL take time, and as this is likely to be an all Island event, it will be harder to draft in crews from unaffected areas, as there's not likely to be many places that are not affected.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I am going to fill the bath but lock the door as we have young kids but they can use the other loo. As you can use the water to flush the loo if your stuck and its simple to do its a no brainer to me.

Wheelie Bins in the shed defo, same for anything else that is not nailed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

What I fear most is that there will be significant parts of rural Ireland that will be without power for a number of days after this system has gone through, ESB will have been working to try and prepare for this sort of event, but this will find every weakened pole, or loose cable, and with the direction being away from the normal prevailing wind, and against trees that are still very much in leaf still, there will be a lot of trees down across cables. Clearing that and repairing the damage WILL take time, and as this is likely to be an all Island event, it will be harder to draft in crews from unaffected areas, as there's not likely to be many places that are not affected.

They'll draft in crews from the UK and France to help
    We often send crews to them
    But it's going to be a logistical nightmare repair job

• Registered Users Posts: 20,357 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Should we be buying candles and torches tomorrow? Is is that bad?

Spanish eyes it sounds like you're preparing for the zombie apocalypse. Do I really need 8 litres of water stored away?

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Advertisement