Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

But none of my colleagues have been told not to come in, and the section head says it's business as usual as far as she knows. Our buildings are open, so not all Gov depts are closed.
    Sent you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Is it just me or does it seem to be veering ever further westward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

i do appreciate all the graphs. but the reality is the known is known, So can somebody explain it in ordinary terms. Everybody can see this storm bearing down on us. So can you cut past the graphs and explain to the minions what we can expect from cork to belfast. Thanks
    What, when and where, please.

It’s all here in MTC’s updated forecast
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104979581&postcount=4623

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I live on a busy main road and I haven't heard a car pass with hours but was just outside and the wind is starting to pick up a tad

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

BoatMad wrote: »
    A lot Of wind , rain , and big waves

Happy now

No. I am really worried. Graphs are great but at what time, in what location, at what strength are we going to get hit. Graphs are lovely but most folks would rather know, in english, how they will be affected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Does it have a mesh, thousands of little holes to allow the wind to go through?

If so I'd imagine it would take little to no damage, I hope anyways as I have one too.

Or is it one of these:

h6txbOT.png

If so I can imagine it taking quite a beating.

I think it does have a mesh on it but I am not too sure. It is not like the image above that you put up there.

EDIT: Joanna Donnelly is on again with the weather forecast on RTÉ ONE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

No. I am really worried. Graphs are great but at what time, in what location, at what strength are we going to get hit. Graphs are lovely but most folks would know rather know, in english, how they will be affected

This is literally a graph thread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Can you explain all that in English please?

Well basically........ Were screwed :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Joanna's on RTE1 now, although I think its recorded earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Joanna Donnelly would need to get some sleep.. an oul sleeping tablet wouldn't go astray.. She has a big day ahead of her tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Lumi wrote: »

But from following this thread for say the past ten pages, it sounds like it's changing. I have already read the forecast, and when it was updated at 9pm, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

i do appreciate all the graphs. but the reality is the known is known, So can somebody explain it in ordinary terms. Everybody can see this storm bearing down on us. So can tou cut past the graphs and explain to the minions what we can expect from cork to belfast. Thanks

Ok let me try. As the storm center passes over or near the west coast. The area to the south east quadrant of that center is going to see the strongest winds. Those MAY exceed 130kph in gusts but not in sustained speed. What winds of that speed will actually do is anybodys guess. Coupled with that up to 12m wave heights can be expected primarily along the south coast. It is likely that the most severe gusts could well run up the Irish sea. However the whole thing is so dynamic that no matter where you are there is every chance of dangerous wind conditions so no matter where you are you need to be prepared. Everyone seems to want to know what time to expect the worst. For southern counties thats pre-noon. For the mid section early afternoon and late afternoon/early evening for northern counties. Rain may be significant but the winds are the most notably feature of this storm. Most of the rain will stay west of the storm center.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Skid X wrote: »
    Joanna's on RTE1 now, although I think its recorded earlier

she tweeted earlier saying she was awake, so it honestly wouldn't shock me that its live

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

www.met.ie or m.met.ie

There's next to nothing on Met. ie. That's why so many are participating here.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,560 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If we had nukes we could fire a few at it before it makes landfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

No. I am really worried. Graphs are great but at what time, in what location, at what strength are we going to get hit. Graphs are lovely but most folks would know rather know, in english, how they will be affected

The simple fact is that the posters here don't use plain English because there are still a tonne of different outcomes, and to reduce that to a simple forecast would mislead. Nobody can yet say 'what, where, when' with any precision, so there are inevitably going to be a lot of technical details mentioned to explain why not.

Edit: I posted this in the Technical Analysis thread before thankfully a mod moved all this stuff over to the general discussion thread, where most of the above does not apply!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hi

Will this storm have thunder and lightning ?

Not sure about the thunder but it has an Eletrical storm https://www.lightningmaps.org/#m=sat;r=0;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=;n=0;y=50.5566;x=-11.3019;z=7;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;i=1;

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

It's hard to quantify what might happen , gusts can be twice average speeds , the trees still have all or most of their foliage , etc

The counties in the firing zone are south Irish Sea around to Galway

Stronger winds to the east of the storm centre typically

It's the gusts that do the damage. Average wind is around 50 knots , that's manageable , but again it's the gusts.

It's all about your location , my house sits on a cliff over the south Irish Sea. , not the best place to be at the moment !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    she tweeted earlier saying she was awake, so it honestly wouldn't shock me that its live

She is and she isn't, so to speak!

Huge respect for Joanna's work today

https://twitter.com/JoannaDonnellyL/status/919717685981863936

https://twitter.com/JoannaDonnellyL/status/919705140063588358

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I live on a busy main road and I haven't heard a car pass with hours but was just outside and the wind is starting to pick up a tad

Fückin hell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,312 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

BoatMad wrote: »
    It's hard to quantify what might happen , gusts can be twice average speeds , the trees still have all or most of their foliage , etc

The counties in the firing zone are south Irish Sea around to Galway

Stronger winds to the east of the storm centre typically

It's the gusts that do the damage. Average wind is around 50 knots , that's manageable , but again it's the gusts.

It's all about your location , my house sits on a cliff over the south Irish Sea. , not the best place to be at the moment !!!

Wishing you safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

20silkcut wrote: »
    Is it just me or does it seem to be veering ever further westward

Been following the boards on Wunderground, and the meteorologists there all say the right hand side of the storm is the strongest, not the eye........so we're getting a pounding either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

;)

Birneybau wrote: »
    Wishing you safety.

Thanks , I've lost ridge tiles in lesser storms then this is predicted to be so fingers crossed

( Damm things take out my gutters when they come sliding down )

Double screwed down the steel shed ( it's a lightweight design but big ) , but house shields garden , so hopefully ,.......

Oops may have posted my reply in wrong thread . Apologies mods

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Lumi wrote: »
    Mod Note

This thread is for technical analysis ONLY please

Off topic posts will be moved to the Ophelia General discussion thread
    Post your current weather conditions reports here

Thanks

Wrong thread I think

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

MJohnston wrote: »
    The simple fact is that the posters here don't use plain English because there are still a tonne of different outcomes, and to reduce that to a simple forecast would mislead. Nobody can yet say 'what, where, when' with any precision, so there are inevitably going to be a lot of technical details mentioned to explain why not.

Edit: I posted this in the Technical Analysis thread before thankfully a mod moved all this stuff over to the general discussion thread, where most of the above does not apply!
    I would have thought that as we got closer to the 'event' that all the guessing would be left aside and this technical thread would instead aim to provide real information. Instead its all maps of this and maps of that. And we are only hours away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭tinodz

The storm is even breaking the mods. We are done for!

Hoboo wrote: »
    Been following the boards on Wunderground, and the meteorologists there all say the right hand side of the storm is the strongest, not the eye........so we're getting a pounding either way.

ECMWF models predicted highest average speeds ( around 50 knots ) around Wexford

But it's the gusts that do the damage and can be twice as high

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think we should all pray to God that ..oh, wait a minute, he made the bloody thing didn't he ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Just on the point about the hospital outpatient appointments being cancelled tomorrow.

Are those appointments going to backdated by one day or will they be rearranged for another time by the hospitals all over the country tomorrow.

I do have a hospital appointment due for Tuesday morning at St Michael's Hospital in Dun Laoghaire.

I am having a endoscopy procedure and further possible tests being done for that day.

Advertisement