Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Kerry where it will hit first?

Yes , but the strongest winds are not adjacent to the centre neccesssrily , my reading is the west will see large amounts of rain , but the south/south east may see the greater wind damage. The south coast , will experience the greatest storm surge

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭neveah123

How's everyone's animals acting? Dogs etc...

neveah123 wrote: »

That's mostly myths , Dogs in particular take emotional ques from their owners ( it's why we " relate " to dogs)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Starting to get windy here now in Cork in the last few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Caper

Kicking off here on Cape Clear now, some rain and the wind has picked up a good bit - more than the 27km/h suggested on nullschool. Did someone say that was about an hour behind?

Quick question - what’s the procedure if a power line falls on your house, does anyone know?

• Advertisement

Caper wrote: »
    Kicking off here on Cape Clear now, some rain and the wind has picked up a good bit - more than the 27km/h suggested on nullschool. Did someone say that was about an hour behind?

Quick question - what’s the procedure if a power line falls on your house, does anyone know?

Plug in the kettle to it , using rubber gloves of course

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My dog is sound asleep for the last three hours while I'm tearing my hair out googling pictures of hurricane damage

anna080 wrote: »
    My dog is sound asleep for the last three hours while I'm tearing my hair out googling pictures of hurricane damage

Sensible canine, he knows he can't repair your roof, so why worry himself

My cats were complete bollixes all day, so business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

BoatMad wrote: »
    Sensible canine

He gave me a fright when he snored I thought it has arrived

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Colser wrote: »
    Starting to get windy here now in Cork in the last few minutes.

It's getting gusty alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Any webcams in the south for when the sun comes up. If it comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭tinodz

My cat is sleeping, and has been asleep all day. She will keep sleeping, and only complain if there is no food when she wakes up. I am sure she would not mind if I blew away along with the house as long as she got some food in the morning... before going back to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Any webcams?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

It's getting closer.

https://en.sat24.com/en

I'd say there will be a few on Periscope too.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Got out of bed to do a bit of security checks, tied gates securely, housed any loose stuff that might go rocking and rolling around the place and moreover cause damage, put the car in for the first time in yonks as there are a few big trees here but they have stood up to many a bad storm, fingers crossed, its one of those things where we have no control over,
    Here's wishing that everyone is safe and this time tomorrow evening we will be saying
    "what the hell was all that fuss about,
    sure twas only a STORM IN A TEA CUP!!

I can guarantee someone will try and surf in this.

banoffe2 wrote: »
    Got out of bed to do a bit of security checks, tied gates securely, housed any loose stuff that might go rocking and rolling around the place and moreover cause damage, put the car in for the first time in yonks as there are a few big trees here but they have stood up to many a bad storm, fingers crossed, its one of those things where we have no control over,
    Here's wishing that everyone is safe and this time tomorrow evening we will be saying

Indeed , a big tea cup however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Eerily quiet here in Waterford.. just been outside and its strangely quiet..the calm before the storm

• Registered Users Posts: 82,560 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

To Ophelia...
    image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Galway1989

banoffe2 wrote: »

Obviously people not getting hurt is the top priority but our cars staying in tact has to be a close second!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭misscpmfan

The calm is rather eerie! >_> I'm in Dublin and everything is dead quiet.

It's leaving some big waves behind it off the coast of France....

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Galway1989

I can't sleep, and I'm trying to enjoy boards while i can. The internet connection will go along with the electricity.. The wind is picking up inland in County Galway now

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

Email from work, we're a multi-national...

"This is a safety reminder concerning Hurricane Ophelia. Your safety is our primary concern so please follow guidance from local emergency services in your area. Our site in Dublin is open. If you have special circumstances, please contact your line manager.

Global Security Operations"

Galway1989 wrote: »
    I can't sleep, and I'm trying to enjoy boards while i can. The internet connection will go along with the electricity.. The wind is picking up inland in County Galway now

THe model would suggest 6-9 knots from the NE a n inland Galway , what are you seeing

Looking at the models now you realise how fffing big this sucker is

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

I remember being sent home from work the day of Storm Darwin, around noon, the storm is so scary and powerful, it was a huge relief to have it over, and still have a roof over our heads, the fact that we were without power and water for a few days was only a small price to pay, the only other bad storm I remember was on Crhistmas eve 1997

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 alrightiwill

i'm supposed to be starting a new course in the Institute of Public Administration tomorrow. I don't know whether it will be open or closed. It's not officially a college so I'm not sure if it's part of the close-down.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestion I could try? Will call early in the morning :/

Edit: Unreal. Always as soon as I post something, the website gets updated. Closed :)

STAY SAFE PEOPLE

Advertisement