Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Already here unfortunately.

its raining? Or more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Not saying it won't but still further west the better

That was more for the “Durr, egg on people’s faces lol” crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Caper wrote: »
    Kicking off here on Cape Clear now, some rain and the wind has picked up a good bit - more than the 27km/h suggested on nullschool. Did someone say that was about an hour behind?

Quick question - what’s the procedure if a power line falls on your house, does anyone know?
    Phone 1850 372 999 to report the downed line. If you can give them your MPRN (eleven digit meter point reference number) from your bill) that will help identify exactly where the fault is.

Stay clear of any downed lines. Assume they are live or could become live again until fixed as another fault or faults up the line are repaired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

currently just a bit of light rain in the midlands

Starting to hear light winds in Athlone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Can someone explain the current (and expected) state of things for a thick, impatient lad like myself?

On one hand I'm reading it's veering west which sounds good in theory, but then also reading that gusts are getting stronger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

My old job just text me that they are closed in the morning but will update at eleven. Which means they will see it's not bad at ten or so and try and get people in. Glad I don't work in that dump anymore

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

its raining? Or more

Very windy, woke me.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,352 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Weird noises here on Waterford City

Woke me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Copied from the technical discussion thread... Get a grip, lads.

The "false alarm" brigade are forgetting a few very important things. When a hurricane transitions to an extratropical storm, its wind field increases dramatically. Just look at the NHC's diagram - the orange oval shape is the extent of sustained tropical storm force winds. The rain will extend far beyond that boundary. Furthermore, most of the action has been biased towards the eastern side of the storm for the last day or so as it has begun to transition.

The centre making landfall in Galway rather than the southwest is only going to mean marginally less action for the southwest and marginally more for Galway. The only other real impact I can see from this westward shift (assuming the NHC isn't overcompensating in their forecast as some have suggested) is that Wexford in the southeast may be spared more of the tropical storm force winds than they were initially forecast to.

For the rest of the country and for the eastern seaboard, from my reading of that latest NHC graphic, nothing has changed, and this is still every bit as much of an extreme and dangerous weather event as it has been forecast all along.

The NHC have always been at pains to remind people not to focus too much on where the exact centre of a storm is going to track, for this very reason. It's amazing how many people ignore that advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

Just started raining really hard here suddenly, was so quiet before that. No winds yet. I'm in Louth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Sounds calm here now. Has it passed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Rain has died down in Galway City immensely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Jobs OXO wrote: »

Hasn't even begun!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

paconnors wrote: »
    Seriously, can we stop with this. People, who know more than us, both in the technical thread, on here and from meteorological experts are telling us this is going to be bad. It won't make landfall for another few hours. Can we actually stop pretending this isn't going to happen or that it has already passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Noodles81 wrote: »
    Just started raining really hard here suddenly, was so quiet before that. No winds yet. I'm in Louth.

Same here in Tipperary, pure calm one second then absolutely pouring

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

paconnors wrote: »

Rain here in Cavan just stopped suddenly like a switch was turned off, calm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

With regards to the latest graphs, should I get up and chance going into work (south-east coast)? I hear a couple of neighbours heading off and have an employer who expects us in.

What I will say is that I have no issue going in. It's trying to get home that looks like being the problem which is also the problem with work as they would be a lot more understanding if this has kicked off when I ring in.

I will need to make a decision within the next hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

I've never actually experienced constant wind before. This is mad.Very breezy.South Limerick. You'll see what I'm talking about when you go out in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Same here in Tipperary, pure calm one second then absolutely pouring

Yeah. HARD rain for about 10 seconds, then it suddenly stops. The wind has gotten noticeably worse over the past 15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

No wind in Arklow presently but it’s been lashing rain
    There’s some lightning in the south Irish sea

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Still absolutely no idea if I'm working or not and due in at 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jones 19

West Clare is quiet. Too quiet.

No rain here, just wind so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

S.limerick......wind howling around the house...its coming year way folks...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A lot of people this morning will think this isn't too bad when they wake up and decide to head into work. And then when it really kicks off later in the day, the roads will be full of people trying to get back home. That won't be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭i8mancs

Paully D wrote: »
    With regards to the latest graphs, should I get up and chance going into work (south-east coast)? I hear a couple of neighbours heading off and have an employer who expects us in.

What I will say is that I have no issue going in. It's trying to get home that looks like being the problem which is also the problem with work as they would be a lot more understanding if this has kicked off when I ring in.

I will need to make a decision within the next hour.

I wouldn't be putting my life on the line for a job that can wait till Tuesday, Is your employer not aware of all the warnings that have been issued, Status Red FFS doesn't get more serious than that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sustained strong winds in South Carlow. Didn't expect that yet. Nothing out of the ordinary yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Can someone explain the current (and expected) state of things for a thick, impatient lad like myself?

On one hand I'm reading it's veering west which sounds good in theory, but then also reading that gusts are getting stronger?

The westward shift isn't nearly as big a deal as it's being made out to be. A strong tropical cyclone has a small, tightly packed eye with the strongest winds confined fairly close to the centre. When it transitions to an extratropical cyclone, the whole core of the storm expands, so that although the winds do weaken (hence it's been going from category 2 to category 1), they cover a vastly wider area. Ophelia has been uneven for hours now on top of this - look at the various charts which have been posted and you'll see that the eastern half of the storm is consistently where the strongest winds are. A small westward shift essentially means that Galway will get slightly more action than it was previously forecast, and Munster will get slightly less. For these areas and for the rest of the country, the warning remains the same - this will be an extreme and dangerous weather event.

This is the NHC's final advisory on Ophelia:

025759_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

See that gigantic orange oval? That's the extent of sustained tropical storm force winds. And the dark brown oval inside that is the extent of sustained hurricane force winds. The orange oval is wide enough to easily engulf the entire country (and it will continue to expand as extratropical transition progresses), while the dark brown oval is still big enough (and, as noted, you can see how it is biased towards the eastern side of the centre) to impact most of the Western seaboard in Munster and subsequently in Connaught as it moves northward. Kerry, Cork, Limerick, Clare, Galway and Mayo all have the potential to be hit by category 1 hurricane force winds, depending on how far north the storm gets before these winds weaken to tropical storm force. Everywhere outside of these counties can expect tropical storm force winds, again assuming the storm doesn't weaken more rapidly than has been forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement