Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Will elevation make much difference ?
    We’re in Cavan at 260m above sea level and reasonably exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

absolutely nothing in westmeath to report. Utter calm

Just a few light showers here in Sth Coast Wexford. No wind yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It will arrive as Cat 1 - 2 strength on the south coast.

This is what Cat 1 looks like for reference

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

i8mancs wrote: »
    I wouldn't be putting my life on the line for a job that can wait till Tuesday, Is your employer not aware of all the warnings that have been issued, Status Red FFS doesn't get more serious than that

As far as I'm concerned, there really should be legislation in place to compel employers to grant unconditional leave for the duration of extreme weather alerts such as this nationwide red alert. Earlier this summer I read of people in the path of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma who defied instructions and did not evacuate due to fears over work sanctions for absence, particularly if those absences were prolonged by uninhabitable homes following the storms - complete madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Heavy rain on and off here in Dublin South. No audible wind from indoors.

Not looking forward to the next 24h.

As far as I'm concerned, there really should be legislation in place to compel employers to grant unconditional leave for the duration of extreme weather alerts such as this nationwide red alert. Earlier this summer I read of people in the path of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma who defied instructions and did not evacuate due to fears over work sanctions for absence, particularly if those absences were prolonged by uninhabitable homes following the storms - complete madness.

Unconditional wages, unconditional fast cars and unconditional contracts as far as I'm concerned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

A lot of traffic on the m11 so people are traveling to work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

5:30 AM snapshot, Lightning off coast of Wales/Southwest England

2rzc8qw.png

2e6ab8k.png

Rainfall (15-30 minute delay) - http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Lightning - https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#y=53.0637;x=-3.8593;z=7;t=3;m=sat;r=0;s=0;o=0;b=;n=0;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

Winds - https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-8.30,53.89,3000/loc=-8.355,50.406

Once you see ESB powercheck start to light up then you know the impact of the storm has gotten serious.

ESB Powercheck for outages - https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

Can anyone say if Donegal will get it bad? Slight wind here at the minute in South Donegal but I need to travel further north in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Am disgusted with my employer , got an automated call last night saying the plant will be open but if you feel it is not safe enough to travel do not do so.... . Should have made a clear decision......😠

UsBus wrote: »
    Am disgusted with my employer , got an automated call last night saying the plant will be open but if you feel it is not safe enough to travel do not do so.... . Should have made a clear decision......��
    So you cant make a decision. Classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Am disgusted with my employer , got an automated call last night saying the plant will be open but if you feel it is not safe enough to travel do not do so.... . Should have made a clear decision......😠

Got an email saying they will make a decision early in the morning if it will be opening. So sitting here waiting.

Dublin won't be affected until later so why make decision in the morning. Well just all probably be late.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I'm up for work in Ennis, still very calm here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Am disgusted with my employer , got an automated call last night saying the plant will be open but if you feel it is not safe enough to travel do not do so.... . Should have made a clear decision......��

Absolutely moronic, especially expecting lay folk without meteorological knowledge to make these calls for themselves - that's literally why the weather service and alert system exists, so that people can follow official instruction and don't have to try and gauge the weather for themselves without an expert eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Wind is definitely picking up in Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

So you cant make a decision. Classic

I don't know if I'll be docked a days wages if I take the day off...

Getting quite rough already in Castlebar. very heavy rain as well for the past few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

In south West Kerry not far from valentia station. Wind is picking up after a very calm night. We had some very intense showers during the night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

First gusts just hit here in South Tipp, at the foot of the Knockmealdowns. It picked up from calm to gusty real quick. We've several dormer windows that really howl in a strong wind!
    Don't think I'll bother putting out the recycling bin!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

maiden wrote: »
    I'm up for work in Ennis, still very calm here
    Further NW Clare 25+ miles from Ennis and have had wind since about 3.00am. Had band of rain go through and now showers.
    Wind increasing but nothing major yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Lleyn elec

Gusty and raining the last hour on an extremely elevated and exposed site on the coast of Sligo. Work based at the moment on an exposed costal location at sealevel on the coast of Clare has closed down the site for the day thankfully.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Getting quite rough already in Castlebar. very heavy rain as well for the past few hours.

Is that not normal in fairness? I've to drive there to work for 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

On first dublin bus of the day plently of people getting on.

tkd93 wrote: »
    hmmmn aren't high sided vehicles recommended to stay put!!

I can hear the sea getting louder...wind has just started to pick up. Sth Wexford

Necrominus wrote: »
    Is that not normal in fairness? I've to drive there to work for 8am

Not this bad for the a week anyway :) . Big difference to 5 or 6 hours ago.

Go **** yourself, I don't know if I'll be docked a days wages if I take the day off...

You don't take a day off, you explain the reasons you take a day off. And if manager does not understand then leave or explain to next level of management. Anyway back to weather

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

tkd93 wrote: »

And unfortunately will most likely be stranded come evening when Dublin Bus pull their services once Ophelia starts to hit in the early afternoon.

The timeline is just a nightmare as people will be expected in due to it not being bad in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Hearing gusts in Cork City now.
    Think I’ll get up

Advertisement