Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Guys, download the ESB PowerCheck app. I find it an excellent resource for keeping track of outages. They also give details on each fault and an expected repair time.

Obviously power is going to go out today and repair times may be significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

In fairness prepared for a long day stuck in office but just cant take any risks with my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The National Hurricane Center has officially said goodbye. It is not a hurricane any longer so they stop observing and advising now.

Will we ever need them again? Unlikely in our lifetime.

Historic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

I'm in west Dublin, on a relatively busy road and there's plenty of traffic out there at this time.

It's calm enough just some drizzle but I'm planning on going nowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just woke up in the Midlands to the sound of rain and windy weather but then it suddenly just stopped.

I'm off/working from home today anyway but what's happening? Reading conflicting views about the severity/status?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

18c reported at Valentia on the 6am reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

tkd93 wrote: »
    On first dublin bus of the day plently of people getting on.
    Completely different on my route. A bus that would normally be full has a handful on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Ene breeze starting to rise off Irish Sea at Arklow
    Very light
    A LOT of traffic on M11 heading from Wexford to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

UsBus wrote: »
    Go **** yourself, I don't know if I'll be docked a days wages if I take the day off...

Make the decision. Is it too dangerous to travel to work ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

My dog and cat are having a ball running around outside lol they think they have a new toy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I'm in the south and the wind is growing considerably from when I woke up at 6:00 to almost calm conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

My workplace is closed today but I was due to go get citizenship at convention centre, would you say that's still on?
    I mean thousands people would need to be notified but there is 0 information (as usual)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I really want it to hit soon so I can make decision to not go based on current weather conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Windy here is West / Limerick.. strong gusts and building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

arleitiss wrote: »
    My workplace is closed today but I was due to go get citizenship at convention centre, would you say that's still on?
    I mean thousands people would need to be notified but there is 0 information (as usual)

It was cancelled.

EazyD wrote: »
    It was cancelled.

where does it say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

EazyD wrote: »
    It was cancelled.

From my reading of it, it's on but if you can't make it, don't worry. They will reschedule for you.

Edit cancelled

From my reading of it, it's on but if you can't make it, don't worry. They will reschedule for you.

tbh I would rather go today, I specifically booked time off work and I may have to waste more holidays if i need more time off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

Completely different on my route. A bus that would normally be full has a handful on it
    Dont normally get this bus so dont know the norm but this will be full to capacity. Think im the only suit on it mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

where does it say that?

Can't remember the source but I think he's right. Remember seeing it posted in the other thread last night

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

daughter just took flight from iceland (week with her friends) as in minutes ago back to dublin. approx 9am arrival in dublin. i am worried

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Ceremony is off - notice on
    Dept website

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

No work today yippee. Wish we had more hurricanes. Reminds me of when I used to be let stay at home from school during the snow and eat my lunch at 10am. Hope tesco down the road is open otherwise I will starve today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

oh Okay, GG I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

where does it say that?

Mentioned further back on thread, can t remember exact post No.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mobileforest

where does it say that?

Citizenship ceremonies which were due to take place in the Convention Centre in Dublin have all been cancelled.

http://www.thejournal.ie/hurricane-ophelia-2-3648077-Oct2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

daughter just took flight from iceland (week with her friends) as in minutes ago back to dublin. approx 9am arrival in dublin. i am worried

Be fine at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Just woke up in the Midlands to the sound of rain and windy weather but then it suddenly just stopped.

I'm off/working from home today anyway but what's happening? Reading conflicting views about the severity/status?

I think people are waking up thinking if there isn't chaos they're questioning their decision to stay at home at all. It's only rolling out now, with conditions to be much worse for later on. I think it's later most who did stay home will be glad they didn't make the commute.

Grab some tea while you still have electricity :pac:

Advertisement