Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

EazyD wrote: »
    It was cancelled.

On radio one -citizenship thing cancelled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

Anyone know if taking the day off for HSE employees is taken from annual leave? I've none left.

Lumina wrote: »
    Anyone know if taking the day off for HSE employees is taken from annual leave? I've none left.

I doubt it as it is the hse telling staff not to come in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

RTE Radio 1 just said the citizen ceremony was cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Estrellita wrote: »

yes it is coming your way, starting to pick up in south west Kerry, makes me a little nervous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Fair play to your employer. Clear and unambiguous statement there.

Was on a call with the rest of the local leadership team in our place last night where it was agreed that the place would be closed and emails/texts sent to inform staff.

That's how it should be imo. Make a decision one way or another and tell people. This nonsense of putting staff under pressure to decide whether taking the day off is worth the potential repercussions because someone at high level may decide "it was grand" is ridiculous.

Its madness to do it any other way

We got a company wide email alert and then individual directors passed it down again to their teams via email and whatsapp etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

OH works in HSE and doesn’t think so.
    Has to go in anyway so mute point here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Boss says we are to go in initially and may leave if it picks up. Bad idea or? (Dublin).

Bad idea. According to latest met update concerning regional warnings and when to stay indoors.

http://m.met.ie/weather-warnings.aspx?t=National

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Traffic on n7 isn't as busy as normal but it is by no means quiet. Plenty of high sided trucks and buses on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Tis a grand day lads. Going to hang the washing out. :) going to get so much washing done today :) #ohfeelyawashday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What's the best radio station for coverage on this today? RTE Radio 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Wow, but it is really quiet in the midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

My line manager has said it is. Our service is closed though so how that plays out in reality I don't know. They can hardly expect people to go to work just to do admin with a severe weather warning in place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

Boss says we are to go in initially and may leave if it picks up. Bad idea or? (Dublin).

I wouldn't. It's grand now but once it hits there will be no public transport, cycling will be suicide as will walking. Wouldn't risk driving either.

Not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If you're not too far from work its alright. When you get in there and see the gusts being recorded in Cork, point it out him and get the hell out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

It won't be till after 11 am that Cork, for example, feels full force. East coast will be 2 - 4 hours after that.
    it must be fairly slow moving if that is the time it takes for it to travel from south to east cork

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

Blowing very fresh in Killarney.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Still merely 'windy' in Cork. I'm sure there was a morning last week where it was just as windy. Not saying It won't get a lot worse, but not got going here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It is.. When I woke up it was raining and windy but then it was as if someone flipped a switch and it just stopped.

Still gonna move the car a few spaces over though as it's exposed at the end of the apartment block to a line of trees behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Lucreto wrote: »
    Wish I could work from home in this case. I feel bad for doing this.

Statement from ISME, the Small and Medium Enterprises business group: "As employers have a duty of care for all employees under the Safety Health and Welfare at Work Act, their key consideration needs to be whether it is safe to ask their employees to travel to work, and if they do, what plans they have in place to ensure they get home safely.

"The risk could be greater in certain sectors (i.e construction and any sector where outside work is required). Anyone who is asking employees to come in should be advised to remain vigilant throughout the day for worsening conditions and cancelled/amended travel services and should consider how long it will take people to commute home safely. All information should be communicated as early as possible to allow people to plan.

"Consideration should be given to whether employees can work from home given the extreme nature of what is expected and flexibility should be allowed for all employees especially those who have far to travel."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Damn, forgot to tape down our front door knocker - it's already rattling like mad! (south Tipp)

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Im in Sallins, work in Clontarf

Had a mail last night to work from home if you can and take no chances trying to be in the office today

At least you got contacted by your employer. Have heard nothing at all. Tried to phone and turns out the number they provided for management on printed sheets for new employees doesn't exist anymore.

What an absolute ****show

• Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Wish I was in the same midlands as you. We just had buckets of rain and there's still a nice wind blowing out there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I don’t want to waste a days holidats so feel I have to go to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

_Brian wrote: »
    OH works in HSE and doesn’t think so.
    Has to go in anyway so mute point here anyway.

It's a 'moot' point you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Boston Scientific in Clonmel have advised staff not to travel. Abbott Vascular, next door, have not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Just remembr folks, if you drive in a red weather warning and something happens your car insurance company will deny all responsibility

Bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just remembr folks, if you drive in a red weather warning and something happens your car insurance company will deny all responsibility

Source? Read this several times last night but no evidence it's true

Nhc Florida has just said worst will be Galway to Sligo
    Storm is further west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Very quiet in Dublin. Eerily quiet.

Advertisement