Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

knipex wrote: »
    Make the decision. Is it too dangerous to travel to work ???

Travelling in shouldn't be a problem, it's getting home that is the issue. Unless you live close to work and keep an eye on what is happening so that you can leave before it gets worse, I wouldn't be going in.
    Gael23 wrote: »
    I don’t want to waste a days holidats so feel I have to go to work

Holidays being used, missing a day's pay, I know they are concerns but really, your safety should be the priority and I know if I was in your position, I would stay at home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fcuk work. Not risking it. What's the worst that can happen, they fire me?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Peatys wrote: »
    It's 7 in the morning.

Have you never been up at 7 before?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I was going to drive to work but my ****ty 01 golf would prob flip over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

__..__ wrote: »
    Have you never been up at 7 before?

Of course, but don't blame a storm that's not hitting the west coast for hours yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

Already looks like gonna be a full house in my office will be working at least till the power goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

__..__ wrote: »
    Good on them.
    Bring people in and then leave them at work.
    I bet companies love that. Double the work today because the workers cant go home.

Yea read that tweet from them last night and it's just ridiculous. Their earlier one where they were thinking about it was just as bad.

It's the entire problem this morning. Well run companies will have made actual decisions and informed staff one way or the other. The rest are taking the typically Irish "be grand" approach and won't have a notion how to handle it if indeed problems arise later in the day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Highest gust for 0600 reports was 44kn at Valentia, and, for 0700 reports is 47kn at Sherkin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

arleitiss wrote:
    My workplace is closed today but I was due to go get citizenship at convention centre, would you say that's still on? I mean thousands people would need to be notified but there is 0 information (as usual)

It has been cancelled apparently according to the journal.

Of course, but don't blame a storm that's not hitting the west coast for hours yet

Every weekday for the last 20 years its been hectic at this time on the road in Dublin.
    This morning its eerily quite as I said.
    What should I blame if not the storm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Jesus I'm freaked. Started out as a low bus ominous wave of wind to the south but it's getting louder quickly. I actually feel sick. Had a peak into the garden there, that wind is warm. Thinking of you all as we watch this unfold, hoping we're all still safe and not too out of pocket when this is over.x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Pretty windy in Cork City at this stage. It’s not all that bad, but still as bad as a typical storm. This is only the prelude by the looks of the technical data over on the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Just had confirmation from my manager to stay home. I'm technically a placement student, live in Republic work in North. No guidance at all from Queens Belfast - haven't slept well at all wondering what to do in the morning. Meanwhile all University of Ulster campuses and all NI schools are closed.

Bins were collected very early in Dundalk this morning. Wet but calm here.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yea read that tweet from them last night and it's just ridiculous. Their earlier one where they were thinking about it was just as bad.

It's the entire problem this morning. Well run companies will have made actual decisions and informed staff one way or the other. The rest are taking the typically Irish "be grand" approach and won't have a notion how to handle it if indeed problems arise later in the day.

I've had no contact from my workplace. None. Going off the Department of Justice tweet we're closed but it would be nice for a manager to take some form of responsibility and let staff know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭White Clover

You say hours??.....good luck sunshine!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

Mr.S wrote: »
    You really start to see the great places to work now :D
    We are all on laptops so the power going likely wont stop us. Would not mind but not a single email or text.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Joanna Donnelly on Rte radio says,west and northwest will get worst of the winds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

flaneur wrote: »
    Pretty windy in Cork City at this stage. It’s not all that bad, but still as bad as a typical storm. This is only the prelude by the looks of the technical data over on the other thread.

Farming thread is worth a look as well. It's windy in the SW

Joanna Donnelly on Rte radio says,west and northwest will get worst of the winds

It's already howling here in Sligo. Could be normal, of course:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

tkd93 wrote: »
    We are all on laptops so the power going likely wont stop us. Would not mind but not a single email or text.

Wifi isnt running on batteries though.
    Although you could use 4G on phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

With red zone declared nationwide will you're car insurance cover you in the event of an accident during storm if driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I thought Pascal was going to blow away on RTÉ Radio 1 there! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

All Dunnes are closed, madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

winds building up in West Cork near Macroom. Getting very blustry but only started an hour ago

I just heard from a mate who has been instructed by his boss to wait until 8:45 and then issue a company wide text to people to not to come in. HE says they chose that time because 90% of staff will be at work at 8:30 and it covers them in case anything happens.
    Sneaky, sneaky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

ASOT wrote: »
    All Dunnes are closed, madness.

Where can I get a jar of good coffee if this indeed the case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From http://m.met.ie/weather-warnings.aspx?t=Marine

[Marine Warning issued 05.00

Orange Warning

Storm or violent storm force cyclonic variable mainly southerly winds on all Irish coastal waters and on the Irish sea today. Winds may reach force 12 on South costs for a time.]

Note: Force 12 = Hurricane strenght winds

Re Teresa Mannion - Don't go near treacherous seas ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

cyclops999 wrote: »
    With red zone declared nationwide will you're car insurance cover you in the event of an accident during storm if driving.

DON'T take the chance

Mr.S wrote: »
    Nothing stopping you leaving early though, no matter what your boss says.

Thats not my company. My company got 3 texts last night telling us to come in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Necrominus wrote: »
    I've had no contact from my workplace. None. Going off the Department of Justice tweet we're closed but it would be nice for a manager to take some form of responsibility and let staff know.

I've had zero contact from my workplace too. Somebody said online that today is the day people will find out a lot about their employer.

Advertisement