Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Anyone hear anything about Kildare village outlet centre as to opening or not ? I have a relative working there today and have heard nothing about opening . It's probably one of the most exposed places in the county at the best of times and could be a nightmare to get out of this afternoon .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Keep an eye out on linkedin.
    I got email yesterday saying I have new message on LinkedIn.
    Logged in to find team lead saying work is off today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Achasanai wrote: »
    I've had zero contact from my workplace too. Somebody said online that today is the day people will find out a lot about their employer.

Yes the same for me. I can get the dart to work but the chances of the dart running later are minimal and there will be no other way for me to get home. Not a whisper from my employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So has the storm moved west ?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

clawback07 wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything about Kildare village outlet centre as to opening or not ? I have a relative working there today and have heard nothing about opening . It's probably one of the most exposed places in the county at the best of times and could be a nightmare to get out of this afternoon .

Maybe they'll be having a sale :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I've had zero contact from my workplace too. Somebody said online that today is the day people will find out a lot about their employer.

I'm a new employee, only started 4 weeks ago. They gave us a list of contact numbers to contact in the event of being sick/emergency. None of them are being picked up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The RTE News channel has a video feed of Morning Ireland from the radio with text graphics of storm info on screen.

It might very handy for older people to stay in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dunnes Stores staying closed? It is indeed armageddon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

ASOT wrote: »
    All Dunnes are closed, madness.

Tesco have said it's down to each store locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Wind picking up in Limerick just now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

Mr.S wrote: »
    Keep an eye on the reports and aim to leave at lunch time, no point sticking around and getting trapped in the afternoon.
    Sure im depending on public lunch so likely be trapped soon enough. Dont need wifi for alot of my work.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Would it not be fair to say that this storm is slowing/reducing?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

Some wind in the se now :O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

in cork city, the wind is just picking up now, getting quite noisy out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

tkd93 wrote:
    We are all on laptops so the power going likely wont stop us. Would not mind but not a single email or text.

And when your laptop goes dead?

__..__ wrote: »
    I just heard from a mate who has been instructed by his boss to wait until 8:45 and then issue a company wide text to people to not to come in. HE says they chose that time because 90% of staff will be at work at 8:30 and it covers them in case anything happens.
    Sneaky, sneaky.

Just got a bit sick in my mouth reading that. You give the best years of your life to these *****, and all you are is just a worker ant to them. Gotta love capitalism.

Sorry for off-topic, but that's disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

The animals are unbelievable. My dog who is normally dying to get out in the morning, just looked up from his bed and put the head back down
    He knows somethings up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

__..__ wrote: »
    I just heard from a mate who has been instructed by his boss to wait until 8:45 and then issue a company wide text to people to not to come in. HE says they chose that time because 90% of staff will be at work at 8:30 and it covers them in case anything happens.
    Sneaky, sneaky.

The boss is relaying on your mate not to disclose that nugget if something happened. I spot a flaw in his plan. Iago he is not. I can imagine a judges reaction if that came out in a case related to it

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Wind been strenghting since it woke me a six. First storm in little dormer on top of a hill in north Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

froog wrote: »
    in cork city, the wind is just picking up now, getting quite noisy out there.

It's been like that since I woke up at 6:00am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Getting quite windy here in Cork City now. Eerie feel about the place this morning. I see there’s well over 2000 users on this forum at present. Thanks to all the contributors for the updates especially my go to person M.T. Cranium - superb job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

The RTE News channel has a video feed of Morning Ireland from the radio with text graphics of storm info on screen.

It might very handy for older people to stay in touch.

Until the power goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Fair play to Recycle Right here in Limerick. They just collected our bins early and I went out to bring it in to secure it and it was placed in a sheltered place on its side behind our bushes. Looking along the street they've brought most of them back to somewhere safe lying down or up beside the owners house.

Down there for dancing and all that.. :)

Also, starting to get quite blustery here, Castletroy side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 masterbenji08

Anyone heard anything on Peoplepoint? I've seen that DPER have said all there offices are closed but I don't think we are under them anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

pilly wrote: »
    And when your laptop goes dead?
    Full battery storm isnt hitting till lunch hour in Dublin so still get the days work is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

We got texts and whatsups last night informing us the work is closed today and we are to work from home. It gives you a good feeling to know that your emplyers prefers people to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Would it not be fair to say that this storm is slowing/reducing?

Don't think that's the case at all

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Bacchus wrote: »
    So is this actually a hurricane?

No.

It's an extratropical storm with (possibly) hurricane force winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Bacchus wrote: »
    So is this actually a hurricane? Radio calling it a hurricane this morning, met calling it a hurricane last night. I thought it was supposed to downgrade when it got to Ireland.

It's not a hurricane. It's a low pressure system with hurricane-force winds that used to be a real hurricane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Wind been strenghting since it woke me a six. First storm in little dormer on top of a hill in north Cork!

Yeah in north cork too. Getting very blustery in the last hour or so.

Advertisement