Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

The RTE News channel has a video feed of Morning Ireland from the radio with text graphics of storm info on screen.

It might very handy for older people to stay in touch.

I tried to watch that on the RTE player but it played the same two ads on a loop constantly and never started the program :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Flip sake, so now the west and north will be worse hit. They should have told us that yesterday. My husband has gone to work already. We were on orange alert up to late yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Would it not be fair to say that this storm is slowing/reducing?

Well Bill....

No. Not anymore than it was predicted to do (re: going ex tropical)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Flip sake, so now the west and north will be worse hit. They should have told us that yesterday. My husband has gone to work already. We were on orange alert up to late yesterday evening.

They did. Red warning was issued nationwide at 8pm. It was all over 9 news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Saw 2 cats airborne in tallaght. A bad gust surely :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Belt

They can't tell you if they don't know. The path isn't fixed days in advance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Theresa is on the radio from Galway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

There’s been a nationwide red alert for 12 hours. :confused:

They did. Red warning was issued nationwide at 8pm. It was all over 9 news.

I know but all along the south was to be worse hit. Until this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

2FM playing "Brewing up a storm", ah Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

We got an email last night to say work is open, and effectively everyone is expected in. I'm heading in now, wish me luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Necrominus wrote: »
    I'm a new employee, only started 4 weeks ago. They gave us a list of contact numbers to contact in the event of being sick/emergency. None of them are being picked up

That's really bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Going to be nothing more than any of the usual stormy conditions on the east coast. Dunnes are going to regret closing big time and anyone who doesn't have approval but stays home from work will look foolish as you'll have been in work plenty of times in similar conditions. It has tracked further west and looks to have weakened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

For those down in Kerry/Cork - what are the winds like now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Anyone heard anything on Peoplepoint? I've seen that DPER have said all there offices are closed but I don't think we are under them anymore

Got a text from my sec gen last night. Emergency response team advised only essential staff and even they should work from home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

I can't skip to the last page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

eerily quiet here on th Dingle peninsula:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

TheDoctor wrote: »
    For those down in Kerry/Cork - what are the winds like now?

pretty strong wind out now - Im in Blarney, the worst is due in the next few hours though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Places wheelie bin next to kitchen pvc patio door.
    Boils cup of tea.
    Pulls up a crying chair.
    Sits and waits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Basically just stated on Morning Ireland, 'don't go to work.' That's my mind at ease so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Going to be nothing more than any of the usual stormy conditions on the east coast. Dunnes are going to regret closing big time and anyone who doesn't have approval but stays home from work will look foolish as you'll have been in work plenty of times in similar conditions. It has tracked further west and looks to have weakened.

No-one will look foolish, when so much is closing down and there is a lot of uncertainty with public transport.

I know a lot of people want to be on the right side of "I told ya so" but really, just look at the news and you will see why people are right to not risk it. All information says it will be bad, and if it isn't, it doesn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

2FM playing "Brewing up a storm", ah Ireland

I'm going downstairs to brew some tea!

_Dara_ wrote: »
    There’s been a nationwide red alert for 12 hours. :confused:

12 hours. It's lucky I have been following this thread and knew this storm was coming and we threw everything blow-awayable into the garage yesterday afternoon.

The south of the country have been on red alert since Saturday giving them plenty of time to board up. What are you going to do at 8.30 Sunday evening in the dark?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

The minister says employees stay at home

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Okay, that's kinda cool - there's a thick, heavy bank of dark grey cloud, but lighter at the horizon to the north-west. I can see the bottom of the bank being pulled from the north to the south-east at some speed. It's whipping along there at the base. In terms of wind, feels like an unusually windy day currently, but we're not due to get the worst of it until midday or so.

Ah, I see landfall is now first due right on top of us. That'll be..fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Source of that information?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max gust 71km/h here so far in Waterford City.

www.waterfordweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

First power outages now in West Tipperary and Kilkenny

Total of 200 without power

Advertisement