Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

12 hours. It's lucky I have been following this thread and knew this storm was coming and we threw everything blow-awayable into the garage yesterday afternoon.

The south of the country have been on red alert since Saturday giving them plenty of time to board up. What are you going to do on 8.30 Sunday evening in the dark?

When did your husband go to work? Storms are constantly changing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I know but all along the south was to be worse hit. Until this morning!

They haven't got a phone link to the hurricane to ask it what way it's going to go! It's not exact and they've said that all.along. however the whole country has been on a status red since last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Starting to feel a bit more that just a very windy day in Cork now.

21680_E1_F-97_FE-43_A0-_A6_EA-45_F4228_E6_CB9.jpg

Ooh, fallen tree!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

12 hours. It's lucky I have been following this thread and knew this storm was coming and we threw everything blow-awayable into the garage yesterday afternoon.

The south of the country have been on red alert since Saturday giving them plenty of time to board up. What are you going to do on 8.30 Sunday evening in the dark?

Put your coat on and get out and do it ? Like my husband did at 8pm last night .Do you genuinely think Met Eireann know precisely what a hurricane is going to do a week in advance so you can get ready

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

jasper100 wrote: »
    Until the power goes!

In that case make sure older people have a fully charged mobile phone with credit in it.

Power banks are also really handy in these situations ensuring you can get extra charges for your phones/laptops if the power goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Wind is picking up in Tallaght.
    Slept all night with windows open (too warm in my room) and there was 0 wind, now I can feel it picking up.

This is exciting (It really is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

My younger brother works in retail and ended up going to work. My poor father will have to go collect him later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

TheDoctor wrote: »
    For those down in Kerry/Cork - what are the winds like now?

Winds picking up now west of Dingle ... Few gusts

Looking at the models we are lucky here compared to the south ... I think Darwin had a bigger impact here back west then what this storm will bring

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Is there a pic posting thread? To let us poor morsels further north know what we're in for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Ferm001

Fair play to the Boss, sent text to all Sales Reps to stay off the roads today for our own safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

bbc would suggest this is a non-event?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

haminka wrote: »
    We got texts and whatsups last night informing us the work is closed today and we are to work from home. It gives you a good feeling to know that your emplyers prefers people to be safe.

Our employer is not so considerate. Typing this from work...We are probably going home soon, now that they have realised how bad it could be around Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Witchie wrote: »
    Travelling in shouldn't be a problem, it's getting home that is the issue. Unless you live close to work and keep an eye on what is happening so that you can leave before it gets worse, I wouldn't be going in.

Holidays being used, missing a day's pay, I know they are concerns but really, your safety should be the priority and I know if I was in your position, I would stay at home.

I understand your point but I need my days. Any I’m sure lots of people have no holidays left at this point in the year. That gives people little choice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I know but all along the south was to be worse hit. Until this morning!

So your husband reckoned that when they issued a red alert for ALL counties they were only kidding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

They haven't got a phone link to the hurricane to ask it what way it's going to go! It's not exact and they've said that all.along. however the whole country has been on a status red since last night.

Exactly my point! Why did they put one part of the country on red on Saturday and not the rest. The part they did put on red is now not going to see the worse. We're going to see the worse and had 12 hours to prepare in the dark!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Paul Keogh Minister for Defence + emergency planning(?), on RTE Radio 1, has " ...given 48 hours notice over the last couple of days...".
    Dog help us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

It’s just really dramatically picked up in Cork City. First sign of actual flying debris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Really ? Where's your source for this?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41627442

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

I'm in Waterville, short gusts but nothing out of the ordinary

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The south of the country have been on red alert since Saturday giving them plenty of time to board up. What are you going to do at 8.30 Sunday evening in the dark?

West was red before the south actually, then the track changed. And now it's changed again, every warning has stated its unpredictable/volatile and likely to change too.

Exactly my point! Why did they put one part of the country on red on Saturday and not the rest. The part why did put on red is now not going to see the worse. We're going to see the worse and had 12 hours to prepare in the dark!

Because they weren’t sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

It's mental windy. I'm afraid the front door will blow in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Absolutely zip from our bosses, despite us having two whatsapp groups which they are on. Not a peep. Despite chat about whether to or not to go in. Since we're niche we don't know if we're covered by any of the generic shutdowns being reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

flazio wrote: »
    Source of that information?

Other thread. There's a few knowledgeable people that don't hype things on that thread and they're usually the correct ones when all said and done. People love to believe the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Mickeroo wrote: »
    West was red before the south actually, then the track changed. And now it's changed again, every warning has stated its unpredictable/volatile and likely to change too.

Which is why they should have put everyone on red on Saturday. We're not a country the size of America.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Every single one of your posts reads like an employer who is looking for any excuse to force their staff to come into work today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

Cork City, just north of Christy Ring Bridge. No sign of flying debris just yet but the gusts are coming thick and fast now, pretty heavy too.

On a side note, the street lighting system doesn't seem to know what to make of the current situation. It's switching off and on again.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Loud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Going to be nothing more than any of the usual stormy conditions on the east coast. Dunnes are going to regret closing big time and anyone who doesn't have approval but stays home from work will look foolish as you'll have been in work plenty of times in similar conditions. It has tracked further west and looks to have weakened.

You sound like you will be disappointed if there isn't widespread carnage!

Advertisement