Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,631 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is it true its shifted west coast again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

wonga77 wrote: »
    I'm in Waterville, short gusts but nothing out of the ordinary

On Kenmare bay, gusty but nothing major yet, 1-2 mile visibility, can't see further than that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

12 hours. It's lucky I have been following this thread and knew this storm was coming and we threw everything blow-awayable into the garage yesterday afternoon.

The south of the country have been on red alert since Saturday giving them plenty of time to board up. What are you going to do at 8.30 Sunday evening in the dark?

Is that you Ophelia? Calm down please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Mr.S wrote: »
    Assuming you are a non essential service? You can ignore what your bosses say and follow what Met Eireann say (stay at home)

I sent an email to them ccd to the whole company asking them are people to come in and should they go home early before they get stuck in the storm.
    BAsically telling them to **** or get off the pot.
    See what happens.
    Everyone who hasnt heard should do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

I really hope I'm wrong but I think we are on the verge of one of the most spectacular forecasting flops in Ireland ever. My son is in Dublin and just got a text saying that they are to come into work after all as the storm won't be as severe as forecasted yesterday. He said it's a gentle breeze and a misty drizzly morning. He said train is well packed.

As for the storm hitting the NW, if it does we are well.used to 140kmph gusts. Get them at least once per winter.

Some won't like my post. But no one can deny that this event is not panning out as thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Ferm001 wrote: »
    Fair play to the Boss, sent text to all Sales Reps to stay off the roads today for our own safety.

Nice for some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Mickeroo wrote: »
    West was red before the south actually, then the track changed. And now it's changed again, every warning has stated its unpredictable/volatile and likely to change too.

Tracked again going which direction now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

bbc would suggest this is a non-event?

Is there something wrong with you buddy. You're going around every thread in weather forum posting crap like this.

Do you want someone to tell you it's a non event, it's going to miss us, it's not a hurricane or something

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

That weather forecaster had a "shure it'll be grand" tone of voice which I don't think is helpful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Exactly my point! Why did they put one part of the country on red on Saturday and not the rest. The part why did put on red is now not going to see the worse. We're going to see the worse and had 12 hours to prepare in the dark!

Im not meterologist but as with all weather, at that time their PREDICTIONS were telling them the rest of the country would be orange. But orange is still serious. It is always subject to change. You have more than 12 hours. You have this morning too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Just starting north Kerry, heading towards clare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

I can't load the latest posts in the technical page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OldRio

Other thread. There's a few knowledgeable people that don't hype things on that thread and they're usually the correct ones when all said and done. People love to believe the hype.

You Sir are incorrect. But you do know that don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

__..__ wrote: »
    BAsically telling them to **** or get off the pot.

Translation???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Absolutely zip from our bosses, despite us having two whatsapp groups which they are on. Not a peep. Despite chat about whether to or not to go in. Since we're niche we don't know if we're covered by any of the generic shutdowns being reported.

They’re being weak, afraid they’ll miss out bit more afraid to say “come in” because that will make them look like cnuts.

My crews work out doors it’s non essential, I text them yesterday at 11am not to come in today and they can take leave or work back the hours in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am looking out the window in Dublin and so many birds are flying and all in one direction which looks like its northeast .Large groups just passed by here and all in that direction .,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    I really hope I'm wrong but I think we are on the verge of one of the most spectacular forecasting flops in Ireland ever. My son is in Dublin and just got a text saying that they are to come into work after all as the storm won't be as severe as forecasted yesterday. He said it's a gentle breeze and a misty drizzly morning. He said train is well packed.

As for the storm hitting the NW, if it does we are well.used to 140kmph gusts. Get them at least once per winter.

Some won't like my post. But no one can deny that this event is not panning out as thought.

Are you basing this on any factual scientific based opinion ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Great! We nearly lost a window because someone decided that the storm shifted west and was grand and opened the roof window in the bathroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Windy in Limerick right now, just picking up as I write this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Don’t be so dramatic, lol. Many people here will be happy if it turns out to not be so bad. “Panning out” makes it sound like a planned event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Are you for real? Dangerous post, please ignore all!!

Now it begins. Holy crap this is some escalation

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Zoney wrote: »
    Windy in Limerick right now, just picking up as I write this.

Just in the last few seconds. Trying to decide weather to go to work or not

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Autochange wrote: »
    Tracked again going which direction now?

Moved a bit west since last night I thought, or at least that's what folks seem to be saying since I woke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Autochange wrote: »
    I can't load the latest posts in the technical page.

Neither can I

Jesus christ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Which is why they should have put everyone on red on Saturday. We're not a country the size of America.

No matter what / how / when warnings are given there's always one moron who whines like a baby.

If you had working ear and bothered to actually listen to any and every report since last Monday (SEVEN DAYS AGO) it gave exceptional warning to ALL areas of the country and extra exceptional to some areas and at all times they said it would be updated.

We have 12 staff in Kildare - we've been on alert since Wednesday, on Saturday we informed staff that we may not be operating today. On Saturday we also took in anything that could possibly move.

Yesterday morning we decided we would not be opening today.

That was all based on met eireann reports that were broadcast on every possible media.

Maybe get up from under your rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Anybody else notice the dust on the windscreens this morning ? Car covered here in Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

TheDoctor wrote:
    For those down in Kerry/Cork - what are the winds like now?

Mild

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Good coverage on Radio 1 in fairness.

Paul Keogh advises people to stay at home and highlighted that it could be a matter of life and death. Presenter then pushed him and said he should have declared a state of emergency if that was the case.

Advertisement