Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

clawback07 wrote: »
    Neither can I

Yeah this thread is getting a bit funny on me too.

Mild

Not here I can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Is this a uniquely Irish thing, to contradict the experts and the science and if it happens that the storm isn't as bad as predicted, to act extremely smug.

People are being cautious in the interest of saving lives. 18 people killed the last time.

Yes, it looks fine out in Dublin now. Yes, I was half toying with the idea of cycling in to work to grab my laptop and cycle straight home. I'd have to cycle to get my car from my parents anyway, and my employer hasn't given much clear instruction on what people are to do. It seems the prevailing attitude is "if you get in, you're a hero, otherwise work from home."

Great, if I had a laptop, now I just look like a slacker. Because apparently this will be a damp squib and Dublin bus are bringing people into work without any clear plan of how to get home.

It's all very irresponsible and cavalier. We should be treating this with the respect it deserves. As someone said, if the forecasts are wrong, sure no harm done just a small bit of disruption to services. If they are right, lives may be saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Paully D wrote: »
    Good coverage on Radio 1 in fairness.

Paul Keogh advises people to stay at home and highlighted that it could be a matter of life and death. Presenter then pushed him and said he should have declared a state of emergency if that was the case.

I didn't think it was the time for Audrey to push him. Today isn't the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Med101007

Jesus christ

What's happening now??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Autochange wrote: »
    I can't load the latest posts in the technical page.

Deleted or moved.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah this thread is getting a bit funny on me too.

I think it's some sort of bug due to the huge amount of off-topic posts that are being moved from there into this thread? The pages seem to start working when there are enough posts to go to them. We're not missing anything by not being able to load them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Not here I can tell you.

Any more deets, Cork Exile? You seem to be where the current action is!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Fiance gone to work. He felt he was given no choice.

Wind rising noticably and getting very shrill here in Clare/Limerick border

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I work in a govt dept. Got a text saying the office is closed today. Likewise for a friend who works in another gov dept down in the midlands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

In Donegal, we're getting strong winds already. Annoyed that they played us down for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Is lidl open today?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Shame on the businesses that are open tbh. Putting their staff at risk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Which is why they should have put everyone on red on Saturday. We're not a country the size of America.

If you felt that strongly about it then you should have started preparations anyway. Nature is unpredictable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Exactly my point! Why did they put one part of the country on red on Saturday and not the rest. The part they did put on red is now not going to see the worse. We're going to see the worse and had 12 hours to prepare in the dark!

Ophelia was expected to stop in Supremacs in Limerick on the way up for a bite to eat, she's since decided to keep going until she hits Mother Hubbard's in Galway, hence the delay in weather updates for particular areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Turns out not all non urgent procedures are being cancelled in hospitals. My mam is pencilled in to have a small growth removed from under her eye today. Fully expected it to be cancelled but said I'd ring this morning to double check. Hospital (St. Joseph's Raheny/Beaumont) says it's still going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Is there something wrong with you buddy. You're going around every thread in weather forum posting crap like this.

Do you want someone to tell you it's a non event, it's going to miss us, it's not a hurricane or something

I am saying (or wondering) if the BBC is downplaying this or what is going on. My daughter is due in Dublin Airport in the next hour. So I wonder what is going on. There is absolutely zero air movement in westmeath at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I’m in Cork city (still in bed) and it sounds very windy out there. Few car alarms gone off and can here things being blown around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

__..__ wrote: »
    I just heard from a mate who has been instructed by his boss to wait until 8:45 and then issue a company wide text to people to not to come in. HE says they chose that time because 90% of staff will be at work at 8:30 and it covers them in case anything happens.
    Sneaky, sneaky.

That wont cover them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Cork Lass wrote: »
    If you felt that strongly about it then you should have started preparations anyway. Nature is unpredictable.

Of course I did! Because of this thread. I already said that. I'm lucky I was able to prepare but not a lot of other people did here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

just waiting on a phone call to see Will a skip be delivered in county Galway . what are the chances

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Saw 2 cats airborne in tallaght. A bad gust surely

Nope, that's a cats2 hurricane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I am saying (or wondering) if the BBC is downplaying this or what is going on. My daughter is due in Dublin Airport in the next hour. So I wonder what is going on. There is absolutely zero air movement in westmeath at the moment.

Check Flightradar to see if the flight departed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

In Donegal, we're getting strong winds already. Annoyed that they played us down for so long.

Stop being so silly and grumpy .My husband was out last night tying down bins for our elderly neighbours in Dublin with his coat on and a torch .He is not whinging

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Loads of reply alls to my company wide email.
    People all saying WTF, make a decision.
    I think ive started a revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Hang on, people, and Dublin Bus, acting like it's nothing? But it's not due in Dublin until much later today?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Ophelia was expected to stop in Supremacs in Limerick on the way up for a bite to eat, she's since decided to keep going until she hits Mother Hubbard's in Galway, hence the delay in weather updates for particular areas.
    This isn't After Hours. Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Just starting to pick up here in Limerick....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,529 ✭✭✭brevity

Pretty bad here in North-East Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Trees down and powerlines damaged in West Cork according to Morning ireland

Advertisement