Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Im in Dublin city, i didnt go in to work. Im the only one not in. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Nothing too bad here in north Wexford at the minute. Breezy but that's about the height of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

Trees down around the south just now....non event it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,284 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I am saying (or wondering) if the BBC is downplaying this or what is going on. My daughter is due in Dublin Airport in the next hour. So I wonder what is going on. There is absolutely zero air movement in westmeath at the moment.

Will you be back here eating crow when the event is over?

Not your ornery onager

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hang on, people, and Dublin Bus, acting like it's nothing? But it's not due in Dublin until much later today?

Didn't you know weather only changes when you're asleep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

getting big gusts in cork city now

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Just starting to pick up here in Limerick....

I see Patrickswell already has a power outage....
    Not to bad here in East Limerick yet

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Violent gusts already starting to arrive in Clonmel. Taking off a huge amount of leaves/twigs that are flying around like shrapnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I’m also in Cork City and also still in bed. My window faces south and trees are really moving now. Also, the groaning howl that comes with strong winds is getting very frequent. My daughter is gone to work (internship, no notification not to come in) so I’m waiting to hear from her if she is allowed to come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    My son is in Dublin and just got a text saying that they are to come into work after all as the storm won't be as severe as forecasted yesterday. He said it's a gentle breeze and a misty drizzly morning. He said train is well packed.

I presume his boss is a meteorologist? I hope it won't be as bad in Dublin as predicted, but it is only common sense to use the available information that we have.

The reason it is only a gentle breeze is because the storm is a few hours away. The issue will be the afternoon and people trying to get back home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Windy with some squally gusts here in Cork city, mild. Glad I made the decision to tell staff yesterday not to go to work. Plan to work from home/storm watch until the power goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A lot of people will learn a lot about their employers today .I could name two banks that told staff to come in

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

pad199207 wrote: »
    Anybody else notice the dust on the windscreens this morning ? Car covered here in Kildare

That's Sahara dust - forecast was that some dust would be pushed up towards Ireland http://forecast.uoa.gr/dustindx.php

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

I commute the M9/M7 from Carlow to Naas.
    Traffic was down at least 50% on normal so that gives you an idea on how many people are turning up or not.
    Now getting home is where the fun really starts.
    The 5pm commute could be risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The rubbish is blowing all over the street as I knew it would. Absolute pathetic fools couldn't bring the bins in.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

I think everyone in Dublin will get to work fine, it is getting home that will be the problem. Some serious gusty winds due up the east coast later on today.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Very windy in mayo now, surprised it's picking up this early.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

1300 people with power out in the western suburbs of Cork already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

To be fair the wind in cork city I am on the north side sounds no different then when there is normal wind around here.

It will pick up I say later but now it is just like normal wind

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Really gusty now here in North Kerry,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

Share what's it like in Kerry and cork at the minute give us something so we know what to expect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

paconnors wrote: »
    just waiting on a phone call to see Will a skip be delivered in county Galway . what are the chances
    Here's an idea. It's so crazy it just might work!
    Ring them and ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭mossie

Very windy north Cork and has been increasing steadily since 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

People on here advising people not to go to work should be more careful. If you're based in Dublin there's no reason why you should not be working today.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Petal765

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    I really hope I'm wrong but I think we are on the verge of one of the most spectacular forecasting flops in Ireland ever. My son is in Dublin and just got a text saying that they are to come into work after all as the storm won't be as severe as forecasted yesterday. He said it's a gentle breeze and a misty drizzly morning. He said train is well packed.

As for the storm hitting the NW, if it does we are well.used to 140kmph gusts. Get them at least once per winter.

Some won't like my post. But no one can deny that this event is not panning out as thought.

All I can say is I hope you are right because at the moment in west cork there are very severe winds already and it's only the start.

I'm genuinely frightened, hope everyone has the common sense to realise just because things seem ok where you are at the moment things can change very quickly.

The south coast of cork is really starting to get going now, I dread to think what it'll be like when it really hits, please stay safe everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

mossie wrote: »
    Very windy north Cork and has been increasing steadily since 7am.

I'm afraid a tree will fall or something if the wind gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Joanna Donnelly very good on radio 1 just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

People on here advising people not to go to work should be more careful. If you're based in Dublin there's no reason why you should not be working today.

This attitude will be very different by going home time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

pad199207 wrote: »
    Anybody else notice the dust on the windscreens this morning ? Car covered here in Kildare

Thread's moving so fast I don't know if this was answered or not, but yeah, that was due. She gathered a load of Saharan dust as she swept up the Atlantic seaboard and is now merrily dumping it on us.

I think it should be a slightly reddish dust?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

There goes my bbq across the garden!

Advertisement