Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

Med101007 wrote: »
    What's happening now??

Immediately stronger winds than 90% of storms, within seconds.
    Already a tree down in the field across from me

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mormegil

Wet and windy here in Tipperary

Not too bad so far but one gust a lot stronger than the rest just blew most of the leaves off a tree outside the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

People on here advising people not to go to work should be more careful. If you're based in Dublin there's no reason why you should not be working today.

For you maybe but for example, some people are nervous enough drivers or driving on motorways as it is, it's no fun in strong winds - if in doubt, sit tight and work from home if you can. Safety first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Here's an idea. It's so crazy it just might work!
    Ring them and ask!

And that I did at 7.30 and was told to call back am hour later. company were still waiting on drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Joanna Donnelly very good on radio 1 just there.

What did she say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,284 ✭✭✭✭Esel

People on here advising people not to go to work should be more careful. If you're based in Dublin there's no reason why you should not be working today.

Going to work isn't the problem. Getting home again is.

Not your ornery onager

Actually thought that my front door was about to blow in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Is this a uniquely Irish thing, to contradict the experts and the science and if it happens that the storm isn't as bad as predicted, to act extremely smug.

People are being cautious in the interest of saving lives. 18 people killed the last time.

Yes, it looks fine out in Dublin now. Yes, I was half toying with the idea of cycling in to work to grab my laptop and cycle straight home. I'd have to cycle to get my car from my parents anyway, and my employer hasn't given much clear instruction on what people are to do. It seems the prevailing attitude is "if you get in, you're a hero, otherwise work from home."

Great, if I had a laptop, now I just look like a slacker. Because apparently this will be a damp squib and Dublin bus are bringing people into work without any clear plan of how to get home.

It's all very irresponsible and cavalier. We should be treating this with the respect it deserves. As someone said, if the forecasts are wrong, sure no harm done just a small bit of disruption to services. If they are right, lives may be saved.

There is nothing "uniquely Irish" about that behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Wow, that was some gust just now

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

occasional gusts here in Galway city not too bad so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea have RTE Radio 1 on for updates and this for power cuts:
    https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

On the bus into work in Dublin just now. The Navan Road is a breeze (pardon the pub) without the extra school traffic and those deciding to stay in the bunker today. I know it will get bad later, but right now there was absolutely no need for Bus Eireann Dublin commuter services not to run until at least 9am. Crazy decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just a reminder that Minister Paul Kehoe has urged people to stay indoors as it is a "matter of life and death."

His words.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Winds picking up here in East Cork ...I'm freaking out and think I might stop watching TV3 they are making me worse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Just slightly breezy here in Castletroy Kimerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Fairly windy here in ennis. Just about to head into work. Insurance should be fun today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Yeah she made a shout out to weather fans (Boards.ie) when ref the possible "Sting Jet"

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/in-depth/1987-great-storm/sting-jet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Valyawl wrote: »
    Winds picking up here in East Cork ...I'm freaking out and think I might stop watching TV3 they are making me worse!!

They're the Irish version of Sky News

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Oh right, so thankful that you were around to dispense this advice!

Now, who are you and how are you qualified to give advice that conflicts with the experts?

Maybe don't risk other people's safety by "guilting" them into making a trip to work when they probably shouldn't.

You need to be more careful my friend. The advice here might cost a company money (which they can recoup a lot of by not paying employees who don't turn up)...but your advice might cost lives.

The real frightening thing is the sustained winds, smaller trees look at full strain just with those.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Joanna Donnelly on radio now just mentioned gusts >150 kph and a possible sting jet later

Missed it.
    Debating whether or not to go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Sherkin gusting 55kn on 0800 reports.
    Thanks, was keeping my eyes peeled for the 8am report. Shame the mobile site doesn't easily show gust speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Winds just got very strong all of a sudden in cork , gusts getting pretty severe! Bishopstoen area. Trees blowing crazy. It's meant to get stronger later on around 11'ish isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Before I ring into a work to tell them I won't be in could someone please advise of the best reasoning. I am not the best at arguing and forsee my boss being difficult if I ring him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Red Corvette

I remember storms but I don't ever remember these warnings and complete shut down of the country. It's very windy here in Cork, like I always remember storms. But what is the prediction? Will get worse than what it is now? I had a bad dream about this storm last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    I really hope I'm wrong but I think we are on the verge of one of the most spectacular forecasting flops in Ireland ever. My son is in Dublin and just got a text saying that they are to come into work after all as the storm won't be as severe as forecasted yesterday. He said it's a gentle breeze and a misty drizzly morning. He said train is well packed.

As for the storm hitting the NW, if it does we are well.used to 140kmph gusts. Get them at least once per winter.

Some won't like my post. But no one can deny that this event is not panning out as thought.

Your sons employers are twats - it is not due to hit Dublin until the early to mid afternoon! It was expected to be quite calm in Dublin during the commuting (morning) hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Massive gust just hit with steady gale force blowing up Dunmanus. If you get a few more gusts like that then damage will be happening. The noise from the house is scary as the air is forced through every tiny gap in windows and doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The real frightening thing is the sustained winds, smaller trees look at full strain just with those.

Yeah same here. Leaves going everywhere as well. Some of the gusts are very powerful already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

How long is this wind going to go on for? I couldn't sleep and am in bits now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Some very strong gusts here now - the ones where you think the roof might lift :eek:

Advertisement