Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slate vs cement tile

Options
  • 14-10-2017 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there

We are currently at first floor and beginning to think of roof?
    What are anyone’s experience on roofing? We love the look of slate but obviously costs have to come into consideration., have you found the cost between slate and tile very contrasting? Is it worth the extra money?

Also what slates have you all found to be good. We looked at lbs snowdown tile and in other end of the range the Lagan Dublin flat which is much cheaper £3k cheaper!!!

Just wanted to know anyone else’s experiences/opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

You could consider fibre cement slates...you retain the look but not at the price... I have them on my own roof for 10 years and there's been no discolouration....I'd recommend.

http://rilco.ie/product-ranges/svk-fibre-cement-slates/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 janineC

Thanks so much for reply. Are these what you have on yours this particular brand. I’ve never seen them. Has the colour stayed good and they are wearing ok? What’s the difference in a clay tile and a fibre cement one? Excuse my ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 janineC

Any other views out there? Anyone got fibre cement slate opinions??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

What do the planning drawing say? Deepening on the area, style of the house, adjoining building, etc you might not be allowed change from slate.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

I went with a clay tile that looks textured and has the colour of natural slate. Also as its larger you need less of them, therefore I thought the price I paid was a plus.
    Comes with a 60 year guarantee, if I live that long to test it. My brother roofed it and has seemed happy with it too.
    From my view on the ground, looks the biz.
    I'll PM you the brand and name and you can check it out yourself

• Advertisement
Advertisement