Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed miscarriage

Options
  • 14-10-2017 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I found out today I had a missed miscarriage. I've devastated. I have two healthy kids which I'm grateful for but I still have all of the pregnancy symptoms with no baby.

I had a miscarriage before I had my kids but it was spontaneous so no intervention involved.

If I have a choice I think I'll opt for a d&c. I'm in Uchg and was planning on going public. Does anyone know how long of a wait is ahead of me? Has anyone experience with Uchg when it comes to miscarriage? Anyone have a missed miscarriage and get pregnant again soon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

detoxkid wrote: »
    I found out today I had a missed miscarriage. I've devastated. I have two healthy kids which I'm grateful for but I still have all of the pregnancy symptoms with no baby.

I had a miscarriage before I had my kids but it was spontaneous so no intervention involved.

If I have a choice I think I'll opt for a d&c. I'm in Uchg and was planning on going public. Does anyone know how long of a wait is ahead of me? Has anyone experience with Uchg when it comes to miscarriage? Anyone have a missed miscarriage and get pregnant again soon?

I'm so sorry for your loss. Such a tough time for you.
    I have no personal experience, but I do have two close friends who have had missed miscarriages, who have given birth to healthy babies within a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Sorry to hear that, such an upsetting time. I also had a miscarriage before having my three children, it was slightly different to yours in that the sac developed as if I wasn't pregnant but was empty. Also had symptoms and only discovered because we went for an early scan out of excitement.

Anyway I needed to have a d&c, I'm not in Cork but I was told I had to wait a week after my first visit to EPU to have a second scan to be sure. Then after that scan I think I had the d&c two days later.

I had the d&c mid end Nov and had my first child the following December so would have been pregnant about 3 or 4 months later and thankfully all was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

sillysocks wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, such an upsetting time. I also had a miscarriage before having my three children, it was slightly different to yours in that the sac developed as if I wasn't pregnant but was empty. Also had symptoms and only discovered because we went for an early scan out of excitement.

Anyway I needed to have a d&c, I'm not in Cork but I was told I had to wait a week after my first visit to EPU to have a second scan to be sure. Then after that scan I think I had the d&c two days later.

I had the d&c mid end Nov and had my first child the following December so would have been pregnant about 3 or 4 months later and thankfully all was fine.

Sorry for your loss too. That's allot more waiting than I expected :(

Yes the waiting was horrible. Without sounding terrible I think they were afraid of doing the d&c in case they were incorrect (chances were very slim).
    Mine was quite early as we had the early scan at 8 weeks, so they needed to wait in case my dates were wrong etc. They also wanted to see if I would miscarry naturally.
    How far along we're you? And how did you find out about the mis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Joys of the 8th amendment.

I had a missed miscarriage two years ago. My dates were certain and they were worried about it possibly being partial molar so the scan that found it was on the Tuesday and the d&c was on the Friday. I was public in the Rotunda.

Definitely go with the d&c if you can. I went in at 6am, was home by 1pm and was physically over it by midday the next day. Mentally took a bit longer but my son was born almost exactly a year later. Everything I've read about the pill option suggests it's far more drawn out and painful.

• Advertisement

sillysocks wrote: »
    How far along we're you? And how did you find out about the mis?

I am supposed to be 8 weeks but measure less than 6 with no heartbeat :( I had a private early scan like you.

Definitely go with the d&c if you can. I went in at 6am, was home by 1pm and was physically over it by midday the next day. Mentally took a bit longer but my son was born almost exactly a year later. Everything I've read about the pill option suggests it's far more drawn out and painful.

Sorry for your loss, and thanks for sharing.

Do they not automatically offer d&c? I've also heard that the pill option is awful, like a mini labour. I'm public.

We actually had our private scan in Cork so probably the same place :(

Your next step will be to get into the EPU, I went on the Monday to my GP who then got me an appointment a day or two after with the EPU. If I had my time again I'd probably just ring direct to the maternity dept and go from there.
    I hope you don't have too long to wait. Must be hard with other kids at home so you can't sit and grieve much I'm sure.

I was also public but I don't think that makes any difference for the EPU or the d&c. I was offered to wait another week or d&c, I don't think they offered tablets but can't remember exactly. It was eight years ago now.
    As a previous poster said the d&c was fine physically, and not something to worry too much about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

So sorry to hear that. I experienced the same a few years ago. It’s one of the roughest events I’ve gone through.

Not sure what the previous means by 8 ammendment, it obviously doesn’t apply here.

On your questions specifically, I was in cork. I came back for my second appointment a few days after the scan. 3 days i think. They gave me the options of the ERPC (which is what they call a D&C now), or taking a pill which would induce it. They didn’t mention option 3, which was to wait and see if my own body handled it. I asked for that anyway, and after another few days things sorted themselves out. It was very painful, physically and emotionally. Get them to prescribe strong painkillers on your next appointment if you can.

And yes, I got pregnant about 3 months later.

Sorry again for your loss.

Advertisement