Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gaming build from scratch, UK, ~£1,000

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Thanks! You think it'd be ok? Most build videos I've watched have had fans at the front and the back of the case for airflow presumably.

Well I say you will fine relatively as the front fans are usually intakes for air flow and then exhausts out the back and top.

What case did you get out of curiosity?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well I say you will fine relatively as the front fans are usually intakes for air flow and then exhausts out the back and top.

What case did you get out of curiosity?

Thanks W. If they're pumping air out the back and top, where is it being drawn in from?

I got an NZT S340 elite.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I'd say you will be fine. It is from a decent company and a lower-mid price range case. Bit of an odd one not to include a intake but I'd say they done testing and it is fine. The graphics card will generate it's own air with the fans and the same for the CPU cooler and the exhaust fans will get rid of the hot air which you do not want so...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd say you will be fine. It is from a decent company and a lower-mid price range case. Bit of an odd one not to include a intake but I'd say they done testing and it is fine. The graphics card will generate it's own air with the fans and the same for the CPU cooler and the exhaust fans will get rid of the hot air which you do not want so...

Cheers. Feels a little grubby though. I'd have happily paid a bit more for the fans. It was well reviewed on PCPartPicker which is one of the reasons why I swapped it in.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Skimmed the thread so apologies if this was mentioned:

You can buy passthrough homeplugs that allow you to use the plug as normal along with the homplug. Far superior to WiFi in my opinion.

• Advertisement

It's going poorly. I'm pretty sure I've ****ed the heatsink, the RAM and the processor plus I've bled on the I/O shield.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I like more intake fans, creates positive air pressure.

I pansied out and bought 2 AF120's. Just waiting on a splitter but I'm assembling the rest now. Badly. The I/O shield is in and most of my blood is off it.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I pansied out and bought 2 AF120's. Just waiting on a splitter but I'm assembling the rest now. Badly. The I/O shield is in and most of my blood is off it.

Blood sweat and tears should all come off easily with some IPA spray!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Its not a good self build until you bleed on it.
    So many sharp metal edges that one of them is bound to take some bit of skin or blood.

Welcome to the pc builders gang !

• Advertisement

I stayed up until midnight but I had to stop when I couldn't find a SATA cable so I'll have to grab one today and hopefully finish.

H. H. Asquith

Gents, I think I've managed to get all up and running. However, I cannot see my M.2 drive to install Windows on. Any thoughts?

H. H. Asquith

Gents, I think I've managed to get all up and running. However, I cannot see my M.2 drive to install Windows on. Any thoughts?

I do not have a M2 drive so I do not know what you can try but I will say can you see it in the bios?

Well, it turns out that the M.2 drive was slightly bent. I removed the GPU to try to redo it to no avail and managed to dislodge the retaining latch on my PCI-E slot to boot. I'm terrified that I've wrecked the whole thing. The tower is connected by HDMI via the GPU to my monitor. I can still see the BIOS so I guess that the GPU is ok. The slot might not be workable in future though... Might pop to Maplin and get a new SATA SSD tomorrow or just install Windows on the 2TB HD.

I thought that this would be fairly easy but I just seem to have made a string of errors.

H. H. Asquith

You should really take your time if it is your first time building in order to minimize errors.

You should really take your time if it is your first time building in order to minimize errors.

Thought I had. Took the last evening to do the motherboard. Took today for the case and PSU connections.

H. H. Asquith

About the M2 is it badly bent or is it the connection piece that is bent?

I'd say it should slot in and work unless of course you put extreme pressure on it and dislodged a solder connection on the chips.

About the M2 is it badly bent or is it the connection piece that is bent?

I'd say it should slot in and work unless of course you put extreme pressure on it and dislodged a solder connection on the chips.

It doesn't look too bad but the BIOS couldn't see it. I updated the BIOS to no avail.

H. H. Asquith

It doesn't look too bad but the BIOS couldn't see it. I updated the BIOS to no avail.

No it should be seen in bios without any updates.

I see you live in the London so bricks and mortor shops should have more stock. See if you can pick up a M2 to PCIe adaptor rather than a new SSD to see if it is working and if it is then the M2 slot on motherboard is broken and if not then the m2 SSD is broke and you should return it.

A M2 PCIe adaptor should be less than £20 and a lot less than buying another SSD. You can always sell it on ebay again when you are finished with it.

Which M2 slot are you using? The top is for PCE-EX M2 drives, the bottom is for Sata based cards. Your post on the first page implies you should be using the bottom Sata port.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It mightn't be a bad idea to take a photo of the m.2 and also of the BIOS screen, I had one or two issues like that when setting up that wound up being ridiculously easy fixes in the end - just not so obvious for someone on their first time around.

Which M2 slot are you using? The top is for PCE-EX M2 drives, the bottom is for Sata based cards. Your post on the first page implies you should be using the bottom Sata port.

The one labelled "M.2 Ultra" here. There seems to be a second one at the very bottom of the board.
    Billy86 wrote: »
    It mightn't be a bad idea to take a photo of the m.2 and also of the BIOS screen, I had one or two issues like that when setting up that wound up being ridiculously easy fixes in the end - just not so obvious for someone on their first time around.

I think I'm going to just return the M.2 and get a Samsung SSD or something. I've everything hooked up now save for an SSD so I'll have to completely dismantle it to retry with the M.2 and I may already have damaged the PCI-E slot trying to fix the M.2 in place/

H. H. Asquith

The one labelled "M.2 Ultra" here. There seems to be a second one at the very bottom of the board.

Yeah, you need to use the other one. The Ultra one is for PCI-EX based SSD's, which cost a fair penny.

Yeah, you need to use the other one. The Ultra one is for PCI-EX based SSD's, which cost a fair penny.

I don't recall reading anything about that in the Motherboard manual. PCPartPicker said using an M.2 would disable a SATA port. I did a search and found that it was one of the 2 SATA_3 ports which are just to the right of that Ultra port so it seemed logical that that was the slot I should use.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

@ancapailldorcha

Take pictures, both to help yourself & so we can give better advice.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    @ancapailldorcha

Take pictures, both to help yourself & so we can give better advice.

I've actually removed the drive now and I'm not sure I can get it back in without further damaging any other components. I've had a gander at the Motherboard manual online and it seems to be a good bit meatier than the paper version in the box.

The only fix I can see is to return the M.2 drive and get a Samsung SSD. I'm paranoid that I've damaged my PCI-E slot for the GPU though I do get a picture when I connect the GPU to the monitor via HDMI so maybe it's ok. I'm not sure I can get the drive back in without taking out each component and redoing the build from scratch.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your time here.

H. H. Asquith

I've actually removed the drive now and I'm not sure I can get it back in without further damaging any other components. I've had a gander at the Motherboard manual online and it seems to be a good bit meatier than the paper version in the box.

The only fix I can see is to return the M.2 drive and get a Samsung SSD. I'm paranoid that I've damaged my PCI-E slot for the GPU though I do get a picture when I connect the GPU to the monitor via HDMI so maybe it's ok. I'm not sure I can get the drive back in without taking out each component and redoing the build from scratch.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your time here.

Just undo the retainer clip on the slot and pull the graphics card out, stop being such a pussy. Its pretty hard to break **** and if you have, then its already shot. And then fit the M2 drive in the correct slot.

- 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Ryzen Series CPU) or Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s) (with A-Series APU)**
    - 1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module**

*M2_2 and SATA3_3 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the other one will be disabled.

**If M2_1 is occupied, PCIE4 will be disabled.
    Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks
    Supports ASRock U.2 Kit

The retainer clip is the part that came out of the PCI-E slot.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The retainer clip is the part that came out of the PCI-E slot.

That makes the card even easier to remove. :D

The retainer clip is just a bit of plastic and they get broken all the time, it's not going to have any impact on the machine at all, it just secures the card during movement, as in, if you were shipping it or something.

Breaking an M2 slot or the drive itself is almost impossible unless you were trying to knock it in with a hammer or something!

I can understand novice builders breaking CPU sockets and that kind of thing but I'd be surprised if you somehow broke either the M2 drive or M2 slot unless there was 'round peg, square hole' going on.

• Advertisement

Seriously? I almost wept as I thought I'd broken it. Might see if I can try the M.2 on the lower slot then so.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement