Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gaming build from scratch, UK, ~£1,000

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

IT WORKED!!!!!

I'd even written off ever upgrading the GPU but now both drives are present and Windows is now installing!!!!

Thank you all so much!

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

That makes the card even easier to remove. :D

If I could I would snap it off most mobos, my fat fingers and those things are not compatible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

IT WORKED!!!!!

I'd even written off ever upgrading the GPU but now both drives are present and Windows is now installing!!!!

Thank you all so much!

Slight snag. My internet on the PC seems to be utterly abysmal compared to my laptop on the same connection in the same room. Any obvious reason for this?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Slight snag. My internet on the PC seems to be utterly abysmal compared to my laptop on the same connection in the same room. Any obvious reason for this?

Drivers maybe, double check the cable is not damaged as well (assuming its plugged in and not on wifi, if it is then check your settings there too)

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Drivers maybe, double check the cable is not damaged as well (assuming its plugged in and not on wifi, if it is then check your settings there too)

The thing came with a disc. It said not to let Windows install drivers as it would impair the installation of the software. Not having an optical drive nor having read the manual I just popped in the USB dongle and it installed drivers. I don't know if I actually need the software though.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I just popped in the USB dongle and it installed drivers. I don't know if I actually need the software though.

This Stick directly into the back?

An informed guess would say that 35-40 mbps down is the best you would expect.

USB dongle would be the weak link there, invest in a pair of homeplugs and you will be sorted

Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerline-Configuration-UK-TL-PA4010KIT-V1-20/dp/B01BECPIMC/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509718881&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=homepluds or the lads here will be able to tell you if there are better ones to go for.
    Read up on them just to double check if they will work for you, if its an old house they might not be any better than the dongle.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    USB dongle would be the weak link there, invest in a pair of homeplugs and you will be sorted

Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerline-Configuration-UK-TL-PA4010KIT-V1-20/dp/B01BECPIMC/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509718881&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=homepluds or the lads here will be able to tell you if there are better ones to go for.
    Read up on them just to double check if they will work for you, if its an old house they might not be any better than the dongle.

The only snag there is that I only have 2 power sockets in my room and so I'd be using multiplug adaptors at both ends.

H. H. Asquith

The only snag there is that I only have 2 power sockets in my room and so I'd be using multiplug adaptors at both ends.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration-UK-TL-PA4010PKIT/dp/B01G5Q9E0O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509722731&sr=8-1&keywords=pass+through+homeplug

These so, one beside the router and a cat 6 cable into the homeplug, then the other in the socket in your room and a cat 6 cable from that to your pc.
    Dont plug it into an extension lead as it wont work optimally.

Advertisement