Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abode Home Security

• 14-10-2017 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Anyone done a DIY Home security with integration for a Alexa/Nest/Hue.......was looking for WiFi enables devicesx like Arlo, but expensive.....was thinking of using my NAS and a cloud based backup, don’t know how I’d do notifications though.

then I came across this abode solution.......Just wondering if anyone has any experience or opinions on it........its a nice idea they have some up with........

https://goabode.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,316 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Anyone done a DIY Home security with integration for a Alexa/Nest/Hue.......was looking for WiFi enables devicesx like Arlo, but expensive.....was thinking of using my NAS and a cloud based backup, don’t know how I’d do notifications though.

then I came across this abode solution.......Just wondering if anyone has any experience or opinions on it........its a nice idea they have some up with........

https://goabode.com

That's quite interesting.

I just speced a starter kit with the backup system, an additional 10 window sensors, two extra door sensors, two motion sensors, one extra remote key fob, one wireless key pad and an outdoor sensor.

Total comes to $1057. I don't think that's too expensive and I'd cover that cost in 2.5 years of dropping Phonewatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

They don’t seem to have an outdoor camera yet, but looks like they likely will in future, or you can potentially use someone else’s……………I like the fact that it’s integrates into the wider eco system, so you can have all your cloud storage, if there was a break-in, you could have it call you using Alexa, and you could have it turn on all your hue lights, it also supports a 3G dongle as a backup if your broadband goes down and is reasonably future proof with zwave and zigbee support.........quite impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,316 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They don’t seem to have an outdoor camera yet, but looks like they likely will in future, or you can potentially use someone else’s……………I like the fact that it’s integrates into the wider eco system, so you can have all your cloud storage, if there was a break-in, you could have it call you using Alexa, and you could have it turn on all your hue lights, it also supports a 3G dongle as a backup if your broadband goes down and is reasonably future proof with zwave and zigbee support.........quite impressive

The outdoor camera isn't a deal breaker for me. The 3/4G dongle would definitely be an add on for me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I was actually going to post about this system a few days ago! It actually looks like almost the perfect home DIY smart security system. It ticks all the boxes.

- Battery backup
    - GSM backup channel
    - Optional monitoring (in the US) and pretty cool that you can purchase it just when you need it, for 3, 7 or 30 days
    - Smart hub that supports zigbee and zwave
    - It supports a massive selection of security devices:

- Glass Break and Vibration Sensor
    - Door / Window Sensors
    - Acoustic Glass Break Sensor
    - Mini Door Sensor
    - Recessed Door Sensor
    - Slim Strip Sensor
    - Indoor Motion Sensor (no camera)
    - Indoor 1080p Streaming Camera - WiFi
    - Occupancy Sensor
    - Motion Sensor w/ Wide Angle Camera
    - Remote Key Fob
    - System Status Indicator
    - Wireless Keypad
    - Indoor Add-On Siren (w/ Battery Backup)
    - Outdoor Siren w/ Strobe
    - Temperature, Humidity, & Light Sensor
    - Water Leak Sensor

In fairness to them, that is a pretty insane selection of sensors! Very comprehensive.

I haven't heard of anyone getting it in Ireland yet, would be very interested in hearing any experiences.

bk wrote: »
    I was actually going to post about this system a few days ago! It actually looks like almost the perfect home DIY smart security system. It ticks all the boxes.

- Battery backup
    - GSM backup channel
    - Optional monitoring (in the US) and pretty cool that you can purchase it just when you need it, for 3, 7 or 30 days
    - Smart hub that supports zigbee and zwave
    - It supports a massive selection of security devices:

- Glass Break and Vibration Sensor
    - Door / Window Sensors
    - Acoustic Glass Break Sensor
    - Mini Door Sensor
    - Recessed Door Sensor
    - Slim Strip Sensor
    - Indoor Motion Sensor (no camera)
    - Indoor 1080p Streaming Camera - WiFi
    - Occupancy Sensor
    - Motion Sensor w/ Wide Angle Camera
    - Remote Key Fob
    - System Status Indicator
    - Wireless Keypad
    - Indoor Add-On Siren (w/ Battery Backup)
    - Outdoor Siren w/ Strobe
    - Temperature, Humidity, & Light Sensor
    - Water Leak Sensor

In fairness to them, that is a pretty insane selection of sensors! Very comprehensive.

I haven't heard of anyone getting it in Ireland yet, would be very interested in hearing any experiences.

Yep, that’s what I was thinking, the only thing missing is the outdoor camera.......I’m also very interested to hear if anyone has tried it yet......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yep, that’s what I was thinking, the only thing missing is the outdoor camera.......I’m also very interested to hear if anyone has tried it yet......

Yup, I'm sure they will get one eventually, lots of people asking for it.

However you could use Nest Cameras (including outdoor ones) with Abode as Abode works with Nest devices. However you need the Nest subscription to make it useful.

Also I see people are using various other camera systems like Arlo Pro with Abode using IFTTT.

When they arm/disarm Abode it sets the away/home setting of the cameras via IFTTT.

Obviously you would still use the Arlo cameras app and notifications, but that sounds like it could be ok. After all you probably don't want to trigger the Abode alarms just because the post man walked in front of an external camera.

Also could be an advantage to have two separate systems. If one is down for whatever reason, you still have a back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I'm very interested in this so contacted their chat support today .....

Me: Hi, are there any plans to launch this product in Europe?

Abode: Hello, we are working on plans for Europe, however have not established a timeline yet. We'll definitely keep you posted if anything changes. Please sign up for our email list on our website and we'll let you know once we launch in Europe.

Me: Thanks. If I were to order the unit from the US could I self install the system and monitor myself?

Abode: Absolutely. You would just need the proper power converters for Europe.

tonc76 wrote: »
    I'm very interested in this so contacted their chat support today .....

Me: Hi, are there any plans to launch this product in Europe?

Abode: Hello, we are working on plans for Europe, however have not established a timeline yet. We'll definitely keep you posted if anything changes. Please sign up for our email list on our website and we'll let you know once we launch in Europe.

Me: Thanks. If I were to order the unit from the US could I self install the system and monitor myself?

Abode: Absolutely. You would just need the proper power converters for Europe.

Did you order it in the end......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I'd be wary, some of the channels in the us are different than in the EU, he may find himself with a working aalrm that either interferes with another network, or that he cannot get devices for in the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Still have it in my basket but haven't ordered. Going to wait until they launch in Europe and get further info.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 vincentohanlon

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone has purchased this yet? Seems like the best system by a mile.

Thanks,
    Vincent

Advertisement