Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seemless Wifi Throughout House

• 14-10-2017 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

I have an oddly shaped house and two areas of the house are deadspots. I've ran Ethernet cables to each of these areas and have tried using access points but I've had issues with wireless channels conflicting and not being able to fix this. I would also prefer not to have to connect to different networks when going to different areas of my house. Is there something else I can purchase to do this? Or can I set up my access points differently to achieve this. 

I've also tried homeplugs also but the wiring in my house is too old and it didn't work well.

I've came across the BT Whole Home sytem which looks good but it's very expensive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

You can configure access points with the same SSID and encryption key and your devices will roam. Make sure to put them on different channels well away from each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

You can configure access points with the same SSID and encryption key and your devices will roam. Make sure to put them on different channels well away from each other
    This is the exact solution to do - at least 3 channels apart.

Also, make sure to switch off any "routing" function and DHCP in the access points, and plug the ethernet cable into one of the LAN side connections, not the WAN side - should work fine then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Dardania wrote: »
    - at least 3 channels apart.

On 2.4Ghz at least 6

Dardania wrote: »
    - at least 3 channels apart.

On 2.4Ghz at least 6
    pols - you're right: https://media.boundless.aerohive.com/images/1808964999_figure_1_w640.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Thanks guys, will test this out over the weekend and report back!

Do I need to switch off routing functions and DHCP in the Eir router also? or just the access points?

• Advertisement

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, will test this out over the weekend and report back!

Do I need to switch off routing functions and DHCP in the Eir router also? or just the access points?
    Leave them on in the eir router, and knock off in the access points. The eir router should be the single/authoritative source of DHCP and routing...

Post screenshots if you run into trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Leave dhcp on the router and off on the access points. If you are going to buy more access points, I would recommend ubuiqiti. Real easy to set up and works great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Back in my parents' home we have this kind of working but it can be flaky depending on the device. We ended up buying 3 identical TP-Link access points and setting up as above. Some devices don't tend to roam to the strongest signal automatically though, sometimes the connection will get poor and turning the device WiFi off and on will make it reconnect to the strongest signal. When I go back to my own home I commonly have no internet then realise the phone still thinks it's connected to my parents' house. Will be interested to hear how seamless yours turns out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I put in 4 of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YGN5OLM/ for a neighbor in a massive 6 bed house. Found that putting one in each corner of the house two in downstairs corners and two in opposite upstairs corners gave excellent coverage. I wouldn't have gone for the corners if there wasn't existing cabling to those points but it was the best solution in the end. All the devices can be managed at the same time through the downloadable software or individually in the usual embedded web page manor.

Edit> PoE was used with a PoE switch to keep the installation neat.

Advertisement