Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a tourist hunter use a silencer in the ROI?

Options
  • 14-10-2017 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭

Just an interesting point that came up on another forum.Say you are a UK hunter over here on a shoot.Can you use your silencer in another EU country that permits silencers for hunting? The consensus seems to say no... Thoughts??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

Don't they need a visitors licence for the firearm and said licence if it had the "S" then they'd be covered? You can't use a firearm here without a licence unless it's on a range? I assume you're talking a hunting situation?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As above. They cannot handle or use a firearm without a license of their own. If said license has the "S" then yes they can, if not then no they cannot.

If they have no license at all then they cannot use a firearm, ever.

Not getting at you Grizz, but i've seen topics like this come up more and more in the last few weeks/months. People are getting more and more liberal with their own interpretation of the law even the stuff that is actually black and white. Then there is the "i got this from someone that knows". This then gets disseminated as the truth and it spreads. Things like:
    • The Gardaí have no right to make you get anything more than a safe for a shotgun
    • You have to be a member of a range to get anything over 243
    • A 308 is restricted
    • Semi auto rifles are illegal

The most dangerous thing used to be someone armed with a little knowledge. Now it's someone armed with a little knowledge and a Facebook account/group.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ok, maybe I didn't clarify this properly..Say you are a licensed UK/German hunter coming over here to do some deer hunting, and you have a silencer and all relevant permits and licenses to hunt in Ireland, or even vice versa in the UK as an Irish hunter..Question is, are you permitted to bring and use your silencer from the UK in the ROI or Vice versa in the UK?IOW is there reciprocity under EU firearms law for us to take and use silencers in other countries that permit them for hunting?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GADWALL

Hello,
    the answer is No.

In the first place that Hunter is getting their licence to Hunt here under IRISH Law , no S on licence no use allowed .

There is no EU reciprocity in these matters and each country has slightly a different application procedure , ie EU firearms pass and Local gun and hunting Licence application and Issue , in some instances must be done by the person who owns the hunting or on whos land you will be shooting and issued to them in your name

Remember a Silencer is Treated as a Firearm in its own right under our wonderful legal system . Just because it is not on the App form does not mean they can bring it in

So where does that leave us , if an overseas shooter wants to come here he or she fills out the Non resident app form and has to note the S requirement in the "other" box as there is not a specific box there on that app form - as there is { 3-2 } Accessories on the Native app form . Not a biggie as they have to apply in any case .

Going EU bound from here , we don't even have a European Firearms pass app form . I understand you must write a Letter to your local FO.

Just another symptom of a non functioning licensing system.

It needs an overhaul again, but from a shooters perspective this time please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

From my limited knowledge; the local Irish legislation applies to a non resident certificate holder while in the state in the same way as it applies to a local certificate holder. If the suppressor is granted on the certificate it can be used as far as I know. How temporary imports work in relation to import permits etc etc I wouldn't have a clue since I've only ever done personal permanent import and export.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Visitors Permits (Non Resident Form) here result in a license issued in the format of our old licenses.

They are paper 2/3rds of an A4 sheet, green in color and have the details of the firearm etc on them as per pre current license format, so they wont have a magic S as in like in the current format, and I don't believe in the old days, your silencer was listed on the license, and on the form, as far as I remember there is nowhere to specify if you want to use a silencer as a visitor.

So if you cant apply to use one, can you use one ? I don't know the answer, maybe one for the FPU ?

GADWALL wrote: »
    Hello,

Going EU bound from here , we don't even have a European Firearms pass app form . I understand you must write a Letter to your local FO.
    Errr,No..I just rocked up to my local and asked them for one..They sent me to local Div hq and asked to bring in all my certs and two pics that I wanted on the passport.The passport is free,[one good thing in our favour I guess] Done and dusted within an hour,inc getting pics taken while they were writing it up.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GADWALL

Not what my Local FO told me last month when I spoke to him about it .
    Told me I had to put it in writing to him in letter form .

Again , another case of one station doing one thing and others doing another .

Licensing needs to go back to one central office so we all get the "same level of service" and not dependant on the Mood music in station on any given week .
    This App form should be Available on the Garda website then and it is not .

Enjoy your trip away shooting .

Same level of service.Set between moss growing slow and dire, in our case with anything shooting related.:(.Let's be utterly radical here, and actually get a civilian agency, like most of the EU, to do this paperwork???Or is that well too sweeping and ultra rad to even be considered??

Advertisement